The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search
Whatcha doing now?
What did you get done on your Bolt today? - 2021 and later
The original thread is still in tact and we have 14 pages already for this time frame. A "mini-Project Journal" if you will.

Stovebolt driving report
Started by Cletis in 2012 - 36 pages and going strong!

Who uses their truck as a truck - 2021 and later

Re-started this thread. Three pages and counting.

Bolters in the Side Lot
are planning get togethers and what not. See who's near you.

Stay busy; keep warm!
Share your enthusiam.
Searching the Site

Get info about how to search the entire Stovebolt site here. To do a search for just the forums, get those details in the IT Shortbus fourm.
2023 Old Truck Calendars
First one
Nothing like old trucks working

2023 Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
1 members (Guitplayer), 73 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics128,332
Posts1,054,207
Members46,615
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1471177 Sat Oct 15 2022 03:14 PM
T
'Bolter
I am preparing to remove the pan on my 216. I never have been crazy about cork gaskets. I know you can’t over torque cork. I know silicone isn’t good on cork. I also know cork conforms to uneven surfaces. I have worked on tons of large Diesels which use paper gaskets on stamped steel oil pans. I am going to attempt to make a paper gasket for the 216. I have measured the thickness of the cork and have some paper that will work. Anybody try this before?

H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Sounds like a solution looking for a problem. If cork wasn't effective, a few million mechanics over close to 100 years of building these engines must be way wrong. If you don't like the original gasket, use a bead of RTV and really make it look like a shade tree mechanic has been there. That's a lot simpler, quicker, and just as effective as whittling out a paper gasket.

Don't forget to adjust the height of the dipper troughs in the pan to compensate for any change in the block to pan relationship caused by any variation from original by the thickness of the gasket. I believe the factory setting gauge can still be rented from some of the resto-ripoff parts vendors with a big deposit.
Jerry

"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!"
Abraham Lincoln

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.
Ernest Hemingway

Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
'Bolter
The four piece cork gaskets are a challenge to install, and very easy to install incorrectly. The problem is at the four corners where part of one goes under the other, and none of them seem to want to stay put as you put the heavy pan back on.
Its just one of those things which we must become good at doing.

F
'Bolter
Thomaslb I think you can make a paper gasket OK if you get a "scratcher " just have to get thicker paper. On that setting gauge we just took a garden hose to it. My driveline teacher would rod his old 51 till it made a noise,immediatly turn it off pull it home. He'd then say "Chevrolet pull 'er home let er set" ! Then peel the pan off and work the babbitt rods over. There are 2 rods you can change from below by carefully punching the wrist pin over. At that time there were plenty of pans available if you ruined one. This work would be done on a clean patch of mowed lawn !!

52Carl #1471395 Mon Oct 17 2022 10:25 AM
F
'Bolter
52Carl My 235 had a noise,took the pan down,gasket stayed,changed to -.002 rod bearings I knew this wouldn't fix the noise but bearings were old and dark,noise the same. Later saw-.002 mains 40$ rolled those in fixed it !! Now keeps 30 pound gauge pegged full time. Used a fresh pan set slobbers about like most of them !

T
'Bolter
So i removed oil pan and found very bottom covered with about 1/2 inch of sludge. removed main bearing and found bearing part number 3782b040. And the rear seal is a rubber style. My parts guy says he can only get 030 bearings. And the number i was using was the federal mogul number. Anybody have any part numbers on Main bearings or rear seal? The bearing looks good but was going to change while the pan is off. Some one has changed the pistons. They are alum. They have conformatic stamped on them. Is that good? The rods are still babbited but look good. Any suggestions?

F
'Bolter
Thomaslb Look on the internet for bearings,be careful with your shims (would just deal with one rod at atime so your shims don't get mixed up). I take a .002 feeler gauge cut a square the width of it carefully clamp it in your rod assembly see if it will move (don't turn it much) take out shims till it tightens up end up with all 6 on .002 clearance. On your feeler gauge de-burr it on wet or dry body sand paper 400 grit OK. Take care of your rods good ones are rare now !! Seperate shim layers with an exacto knife,save your take-outs. Have a 235 dipper and a 216 dipper both good trucks use em at times to make money. 216 in a 51 3600 is my winch truck very handy,Mom runs electric winch I shove...does about a ton with 13 ft. 6 gin poles.

Last edited by fixite7; Thu Dec 01 2022 08:03 PM.

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop