The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search
Whatcha doing now?
What did you get done on your Bolt today? - 2021 and later
The original thread is still in tact and we have 14 pages already for this time frame. A "mini-Project Journal" if you will.

Stovebolt driving report
Started by Cletis in 2012 - 36 pages and going strong!

Who uses their truck as a truck - 2021 and later

Re-started this thread. Three pages and counting.

Bolters in the Side Lot
are planning get togethers and what not. See who's near you.

Stay busy; keep warm!
Share your enthusiam.
Searching the Site

Get info about how to search the entire Stovebolt site here. To do a search for just the forums, get those details in the IT Shortbus fourm.
2023 Old Truck Calendars
First one
Nothing like old trucks working

2023 Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
6 members (Rovertech, MT45, Darling, Chevrolet Canada, 48bigtrucks, 1 invisible), 61 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics128,332
Posts1,054,207
Members46,615
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
F
'Bolter
2-ton There is a ban on WD-40 here,I haven't bought any of it in years. Since they fixed so you have to soak the whole area in it I wont use it ! Just mostly use MMO and some PB not gonna pay 7 or 8$ for it. I detect a lot of places use kroil but they seem to work for big companies that can afford it !!

H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Either plastic air brake lines, or the much less expensive 1/2" CPVC plumbing pipe will work for vacuum lines that will never rust or corrode. Just be sure to bracket it securely to the frame rails so it doesn't sag or get vibration cracks. The cream-colored CPVC resists freeze cracks much better than the plain old white PVC if the lines happen to accumulate some moisture. I use it routinely as conduit for trailer light wiring.
Jerry

"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!"
Abraham Lincoln

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.
Ernest Hemingway

Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
'Bolter
I think HVAC PEX tubing is probably similar to the plastic air brake tubing, you can get it at the big box home stores, I don't know the price difference but worth a look.

1957 Chevrolet 5700 LCF 283 SM420 single speed rear, 1955 IH 300U T/A, 1978 Corvette 350 auto, 1978 Yamaha DT175, 1999 Harley Davidson Softail Fat Boy
C
'Bolter
I used the steel 3/8 brake line for my diff. shifting lines because it looks original and worked fine. It's aluminized so I'm pretty sure I'll be dead before it starts rusting.

F
'Bolter
2-ton I never use WD-40 cause you can't control the spray,too expensive,and marvel is better anyway. Use marvel on fine tools,my mics have been in the family for 70 years,still fine.

S
Super55 Offline OP
'Bolter
I got all the lines installed. I ended up using 3/8" brake line. I only needed to make two flare ends and my flaring tool set decided to quit after the first line. I did do a couple of practice pieces first, since I hadn't made flares for a while. The threads on the flaring tool decided to lock up. I had to remove the T-handle on threaded shaft that makes the flare, and welded an old socket on the end of it. Once I got the threads free I put a lot of anti-seize on the threads and kept running it in and out. Works better than ever.

A day without laughter is a day wasted- Charlie Chaplin

When wrestling a grizzly bear, you have to keep at it until the bear gets tired, not when you get tired.

1948 Chevy 2-Ton [stovebolt.com]
'Bolter
I oil the threads, cone, and tube each flare, stops the flare from galling and keeps the threaded spindle working easily. Same thing with a puller, lubrication is important.

1957 Chevrolet 5700 LCF 283 SM420 single speed rear, 1955 IH 300U T/A, 1978 Corvette 350 auto, 1978 Yamaha DT175, 1999 Harley Davidson Softail Fat Boy
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop