The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search
2023 ... plans, plans, plans

Holidays are over

Hunkering down for winter ... how about your truck?
Winter storage.

Doing some truck maintenance?
The Shops Area may be useful.

Eager to plans some trips?
See what's shaking near you in The Side Lot.

How about your computer?
Plenty of help in the IT Shortbus.

Be of good cheer!
The days are getting longer.
Searching the Site

Get info about how to search the entire Stovebolt site here. To do a search for just the forums, get those details in the IT Shortbus fourm.
2023 Old Truck Calendars
First one
Nothing like old trucks working

2023 Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
18 members (D B Cooper, BigBore, 87GN, chevyb, 3 invisible), 230 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics128,266
Posts1,053,232
Members46,580
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1476328 Wed Nov 23 2022 04:56 PM
C
'Bolter
Got a 12 cylinder Jaguar in for wiring up an LS conversion. Quoted 4k and then another 1k to move to trunk after it was a running ride. Was worth more. Seems computers are resistant sensitive so spent a week finding wires with low resistance which turned out to be elevator wires from a 50 story building. Very fine and pure copper. Should know better than to touch anything that was Lucas Electric from the factory.

Evan
coilover #1476382 Thu Nov 24 2022 02:39 AM
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Back in the dark ages there was a company that specialized in producing adapter kits for installing Chevy engines in Jags. It was called "J.T.R." ("Jags That Run") If memory serves me correctly, there was even a setup to put a big block engine in a Jag frame!
Jerry

"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!"
Abraham Lincoln

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.
Ernest Hemingway

Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
coilover #1476397 Thu Nov 24 2022 05:01 AM
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
I believe that's who I got the VSS sensor from for my Burb.

coilover #1476399 Thu Nov 24 2022 06:03 AM
B
'Bolter
Originally Posted by coilover
Should know better than to touch anything that was Lucas Electric from the factory.
Wasn't their slogan :
Lucas Electric, home by dark!

BC
1960 Chevy C10 driver 261 T5 3.73 dana 44
1949 GMC 250 project in waiting
1960 C60 pasture art
Retired GM dealer tech. 1980 - 2022
Hotrod Lincoln #1476452 Thu Nov 24 2022 08:02 PM
Crusty Old Sarge
Originally Posted by Hotrod Lincoln
Back in the dark ages there was a company that specialized in producing adapter kits for installing Chevy engines in Jags. It was called "J.T.R." ("Jags That Run") If memory serves me correctly, there was even a setup to put a big block engine in a Jag frame!
Jerry

The shop I worked at in Highschool specialized in SBC conversions in Jay's. We would do a couple a month, seems it was easier to make the change than do the maintenance on the Jag.

Craig

Come, Bleed or Blister something has got to give!!!
'59 Apache 31, 327 V8 (0.030 over), Muncie M20 4 Speed, GM 10 Bolt Rear... long term project (30 years and counting)
coilover #1476493 Fri Nov 25 2022 02:59 PM
C
'Bolter
Craig,
We used to do a lot of Jag to SBC Chevy swaps and the best comment we ever got was a customer said that with the Jag engine gone his driveway was getting rusty from lack of oil.

Evan
coilover #1476533 Fri Nov 25 2022 06:56 PM
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Anybody ever tried to do a valve adjustment on a DOHC Jag inline six after a valve regrind? There was an assortment of different thickness buttons that fit between the cam followers and the valve stems. Once the valves were all adjusted and the cams bolted back into place, then setting the cam timing was the next challenge! Not a job for an impatient mechanic!
Jerry

"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!"
Abraham Lincoln

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.
Ernest Hemingway

Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
coilover #1476570 Fri Nov 25 2022 10:56 PM
M
'Bolter
Not a Jaguar but I did do a similar job on our 1975 Fiat 124 Spyder with it’s DOC4.
Just before a long weekend drive through the Ozarks In the late 70’s I decided to change the dual points and plugs just because. Car was actually running fine. The little dual overhead cam engine had round spacers that determined valve lash.

When changing the points I discovered a screw hole was stripped in the point plate. No problem, I found a slightly larger screw in the toolbox, problem solved.

Finished the tuneup and it wouldn’t start. The battery was a little weak so I rolled it down the long steep driveway.

Short story long. It didn’t start. The slightly larger screw was a bit longer, locked the distributor up when it hit the counterweights. This locked the exhaust cam up. The timing belt jumped time. Pistons hit valves bending a few.

We didn’t cruise the mountains that weekend.

After pulling the head and having repairs made, I learned about setting valve clearances. After bolting the head back on with the original shims, checked and recorded clearances. Drove to Roy Rogers Foreign Car parts in Little Rock with my list and they provided the necessary new shims.

I still run across some of the original shims in a catchall box and they remind me of that lost weekend. We did make the trip a few weeks later and the car ran great!

RonR

Last edited by moparguy; Fri Nov 25 2022 10:59 PM.

1951 3600 with Clark flatbed, T5, 4.10 rear
1970 340 Duster
1990 5.0 V8 Miata (1990 Mustang Gt Drivetrain)
1964 CJ5

Hotrod Lincoln #1476706 Sun Nov 27 2022 09:19 PM
Socket Breaker
Originally Posted by Hotrod Lincoln
Jerry

They are still around HRL,

https://jagsthatrun.com/

They have the jag setups, s10, datsun z cars and volvo swap information and parts now.

Moderated by  Justhorsenround 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop