The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search
2023 ... plans, plans, plans

Holidays are over

Hunkering down for winter ... how about your truck?
Winter storage.

Doing some truck maintenance?
The Shops Area may be useful.

Eager to plans some trips?
See what's shaking near you in The Side Lot.

How about your computer?
Plenty of help in the IT Shortbus.

Be of good cheer!
The days are getting longer.
Searching the Site

Get info about how to search the entire Stovebolt site here. To do a search for just the forums, get those details in the IT Shortbus fourm.
2023 Old Truck Calendars
First one
Nothing like old trucks working

2023 Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
11 members (Hanks custodian, klhansen, Hotrod Lincoln, homer52, 2 invisible), 142 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics128,266
Posts1,053,224
Members46,580
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
AD Addict
I believe it’s the top of the radiator support. Most shops cut the support when they replaced the engine so it’s not in the way. Some were welded back in, and others like mine, were just tossed.

Phil
Moderator, The Engine Shop & Interiors

1952 Chevrolet 3100
Project Journals
Stovebolt Gallery Forum

‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters
“Three on the Tree” & 4:11 torque tube
12v w/ Alternator
W
'Bolter
Yes, those load levelers are great. This one has the fittings on the end of its chains for direct attachment with head bolts. I should have, though, put the rotating handle to the outside because as shown, the engine hoist could interfere with it. My feeble memory says everything went great.

Attached Images
Lifting 261.jpg (62.31 KB, 175 downloads)

1948 3/4-Ton 5-Window Flatbed Chevrolet [sandeace.com]

29 Years of Daily Driving. With a '61 261, 848 head, Rochester Monojet carb, SM420 4-speed, 4.10 rear, dual reservoir MC, Bendix up front, 235/85R16 tires, 12-volt w/alternator, electric wipers and a modern radio in the glove box.
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Load leveler - $50 plus shipping

Load leveler and rolling hoist - $370 plus shipping

Both are very handy tools.

Tim
1954Advance-Design.com [1954advance-design.com]
1954 3106 Carryall Suburban [stovebolt.com] - part of the family for 49 years
1954 3104 5-window pickup w/Hydra-Matic [1954advance-design.com] - part of the family for 15 years
- If you have to stomp on your foot-pedal starter, either you, or your starter, or your engine, has a problem.
- The 216 and early 235 engines are not "splash oilers" - this is a splash oiler. [chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com]
'Bolter
There is a piece of stamped metal, approximately the size and shape of the radiator to which the radiator is mounted. It in, turn is bolted to the fenders and supports them and the grill assembly by bolting to the front crossmember or the frame. It can be removed by unbolting it from the inner fenders and the frame in two places for 1/2 tons one place for 1-tons and up.

51 3800 PU, 62 261 (w/cam, Fenton headers, 2 carbs, MSD ign.), SM420 & Brown-Lipe 6231A 3spd aux. trans, stock axles & brakes. Owned since 1971.
'Bolter
Wow! Wally. You're engine gets carpet. That's deluxe.

51 3800 PU, 62 261 (w/cam, Fenton headers, 2 carbs, MSD ign.), SM420 & Brown-Lipe 6231A 3spd aux. trans, stock axles & brakes. Owned since 1971.
F
'Bolter
yak 50 chevy 60 years ago we just had a chain with open hooks that we put on the rocker shafts,then used a grab hook to balance it on the chain. My employer had bought a long bed pickup 216 with a loose rod. I was convinced it was a rocker,threw a rod out of it ran over the rod !! My punishment was had to change the engine. we had engines so it didn't take long.

AD Addict
Originally Posted by Wally / Montana
Yes, those load levelers are great. This one has the fittings on the end of its chains for direct attachment with head bolts. I should have, though, put the rotating handle to the outside because as shown, the engine hoist could interfere with it. My feeble memory says everything went great.

I bought a load leveler from HF. Here is an excerpt from my project journals when I reinstalled my newly rebuilt motor with bell housing attached and no transmission. “The HF leveling device I bought in retrospect, was not needed and only got in the way. I originally placed the hand crank forward only to find that once the engine lift was raised it interfered with the crank. Out came the engine, set it back down in the engine stand and reversed the lifting device. Lifted the engine and tried to install and the crank hit the firewall and would not allow me to get the engine back far enough to seat on its mounts. When I removed the engine for the third time, I noticed that I didn’t have to change the level of the engine at all to remove it so it should be the same for installing it. I reset the load leveler with the handle forward and this time it installed easily and I never needed to move the leveler. Hindsight is 20-20..”

Phil

1952 Chevrolet 3100
Project Journals
Stovebolt Gallery Forum

12v w/ Alternator
Crusty Old Sarge
I have one of the load levelers from HF. I found the same problem that Phil ran into, I removed the hand crank and welded an old 1/2" drive socket to the shaft. I can just use a large ratchet to position the load where it needs to be. Work pretty good.

Craig

Come, Bleed or Blister something has got to give!!!
'59 Apache 31, 327 V8 (0.030 over), Muncie M20 4 Speed, GM 10 Bolt Rear... long term project (30 years and counting)
O
'Bolter
I suppose the leveler would be more suitable with a block and tackle or gantry style lift rather than a cherry picker that draws the load toward the lifting arm

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom)
1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)
1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck)
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado (The Purple Knif)
1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red)
1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe
1979 Ford F-100
1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red)
1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
AD Addict
Originally Posted by TUTS 59
I have one of the load levelers from HF. I found the same problem that Phil ran into, I removed the hand crank and welded an old 1/2" drive socket to the shaft. I can just use a large ratchet to position the load where it needs to be. Work pretty good.

Good Idea! Next engine I pull, I’ll make that modification.

Last edited by Phak1; Sat Nov 19 2022 02:15 PM.

Phil

1952 Chevrolet 3100
Project Journals
Stovebolt Gallery Forum

12v w/ Alternator
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop