The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search
2023 ... plans, plans, plans

Holidays are over

Hunkering down for winter ... how about your truck?
Winter storage.

Doing some truck maintenance?
The Shops Area may be useful.

Eager to plans some trips?
See what's shaking near you in The Side Lot.

How about your computer?
Plenty of help in the IT Shortbus.

Be of good cheer!
The days are getting longer.
Searching the Site

Get info about how to search the entire Stovebolt site here. To do a search for just the forums, get those details in the IT Shortbus fourm.
2023 Old Truck Calendars
First one
Nothing like old trucks working

2023 Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
10 members (50shep, King Kielbasa, MNSmith, 46 Chevy truck, klhansen, 1 invisible), 149 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics128,266
Posts1,053,225
Members46,580
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 33 of 34 1 2 31 32 33 34
Phak1 Offline OP
AD Addict
I didn’t ask that question and now I wondering why. Do you mean another brand like a MSD Blaster or the Ford coils he was selling?

Phil
Moderator, The Engine Shop & Interiors

1952 Chevrolet 3100
Project Journals
Stovebolt Gallery Forum

‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters
“Three on the Tree” & 4:11 torque tube
12v w/ Alternator
Crusty Old Sarge
MSD or Mallory, Accel, Most aftermarket coils will support enough voltage for an HEI. The coil you have will work but it's not mounted as you would have wanted.

Craig

Come, Bleed or Blister something has got to give!!!
'59 Apache 31, 327 V8 (0.030 over), Muncie M20 4 Speed, GM 10 Bolt Rear... long term project (30 years and counting)
Phak1 Offline OP
AD Addict
I may consider changing it out in the future as I would like to mimic the factory look.

Phil

1952 Chevrolet 3100
Project Journals
Stovebolt Gallery Forum

12v w/ Alternator
Phak1 Offline OP
AD Addict
11/20/22: Today, I sand blasted my twin horns I acquired from a fellow Stovebolter. I love this forum, as l have obtained many needed parts for our truck, thru this forum and I have to thank those who have helped.

A little bit of satin black spray paint and there ready for installation.

Attached Images
D9555701-E9FF-4338-B5FB-20BE2749D7EC.jpeg (347.13 KB, 153 downloads)
Last edited by Phak1; Mon Nov 21 2022 11:38 PM.

Phil

1952 Chevrolet 3100
Project Journals
Stovebolt Gallery Forum

12v w/ Alternator
K
'Bolter
Look like new ,what paint did you use and what primer on them .The horns are like a cast pot metal if I remember correct.

O
'Bolter
Were those optional horns? I thought the ADs all got the single horn mounted on the exhaust manifold.

Where do those mount?

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom)
1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)
1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck)
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado (The Purple Knif)
1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red)
1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe
1979 Ford F-100
1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red)
1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
'Bolter
Fire wall above starter
Most of my trucks have two horns in that location
Might be a Canadian thing,
Also some Canadian gmc have one on manifold and the second is alone up on the fire wall
Likely it was a new requirement at about that time and a late factory addition/modification
When the truck has two horns they are hi/low notes just like the modern horns today.
There is a special bracket for the dual fire wall horns
Also when a truck gets two horns it got a factory horn relay installed next to the tiny fuse box on the fire wall
GM did not try grounding out two horns in the steering wheel.
-s

Phak1 Offline OP
AD Addict
Originally Posted by KEVINSKI
Look like new ,what paint did you use and what primer on them .The horns are like a cast pot metal if I remember correct.

The horn part is pot metal but the dome is pressed steel. I first bead blasted them then used my favorite spray paint, Ace Hardware Premium Satin Black. Covers in two coats, built in primer and drys fast.

Last edited by Phak1; Wed Dec 07 2022 11:03 PM.

Phil

1952 Chevrolet 3100
Project Journals
Stovebolt Gallery Forum

12v w/ Alternator
Phak1 Offline OP
AD Addict
12/09/22: I installed my horns today. After much debating, primarily with myself, with the input from our fellow ‘bolters, I decided to hook them up in series. I bought rivet nuts and a new installation tool to install in the firewall, printed a insulating spacer on my 3d printer and bought 1/4”-20 nylon bolts and washers. I had previously wired the two 6v horns wired in series on the bench to see if it would work and they did, so I was all set to do the install.

Unfortunately, my plan fell apart when I tested the install. Only the high toned horn worked. The low didn’t even make a click. I was baffled. I retested each horn separately on 12 volts and both worked, loud but did work. I tried adjusting the low toned horn while in series but to no avail. I tried feeding the low first then the high (opposite to the way it was), again no joy.

At this point, I decided after spending way too much time testing different ways to install these horns, to run them in parallel as was suggested earlier in another thread. After changing the wiring and reinstalling the horns, I retested the horns and they worked! Unfortunately, only for a couple of seconds. My first thought was I burnt them out, but then decided maybe it was just a blown fuse. Turns out when I originally install the horn relay, I installed an in line fuse which was only 10 amps which blew quickly trying to power twin higher amperage horns. I installed a 20 amp fuse and so far it’s good. Both horns work, a bit loud but sure to get attention. After all, isn’t that what horns are for?

Attached Images
Last edited by Phak1; Sat Dec 10 2022 09:54 PM.

Phil

1952 Chevrolet 3100
Project Journals
Stovebolt Gallery Forum

12v w/ Alternator
W
'Bolter
Horns should be loud, especially when you are istening to them with the hood open and the engine not running. Imagine being in a different vehicle , several feet away with the windows closed and the engine running and probably radio blasting.

1949/50 3600 Project
Page 33 of 34 1 2 31 32 33 34

Moderated by  John Milliman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop