The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search
2023 ... plans, plans, plans

Holidays are over

Hunkering down for winter ... how about your truck?
Winter storage.

Doing some truck maintenance?
The Shops Area may be useful.

Eager to plans some trips?
See what's shaking near you in The Side Lot.

How about your computer?
Plenty of help in the IT Shortbus.

Be of good cheer!
The days are getting longer.
Searching the Site

Get info about how to search the entire Stovebolt site here. To do a search for just the forums, get those details in the IT Shortbus fourm.
2023 Old Truck Calendars
First one
Nothing like old trucks working

2023 Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
11 members (IdahoNative, Hanks custodian, glennj3, JamesPrice, bigmikes50chevy, 1 invisible), 159 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics128,267
Posts1,053,228
Members46,580
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1471571 Tue Oct 18 2022 08:26 PM
S
'Bolter
My first post here. First, My 65 C 10 has two 15 inch 8 lug wheels non locking on the front, The rear has two 8 lug rear locking ring wheels. Is this correct? My other puckup is a 66 C20. It has two 15 inch lock ring on the front. The rear has 16 inch non 8 lug non locking rims. I doubt this is correct. What was so great about lock ring rims. Some are called split rim. Then some are called killers. appreciate any input. Stan

none
3B Offline
'Bolter
Hy stans6400, welcome, in Canada where I live C10s have six lug wheels, C20s have eight lug wheels. Your trucks have been around for almost sixty years, who knows how many times the wheels have been changed. As far as I am aware trucks never left the factory with wheels of more than one type. You will have to do some research to find out what the wheel and tire options were when your trucks were new. You can decide which wheel and tire combo you want to use after you review all your options. Again welcome.

L
'Bolter
Originally Posted by stans6400
My first post here. First, My 65 C 10 has two 15 inch 8 lug wheels non locking on the front, The rear has two 8 lug rear locking ring wheels. Is this correct? My other puckup is a 66 C20. It has two 15 inch lock ring on the front. The rear has 16 inch non 8 lug non locking rims. I doubt this is correct. What was so great about lock ring rims. Some are called split rim. Then some are called killers. appreciate any input. Stan

If you can’t find a decent set of original 6 lug steel wheels in your area, then Wheel Vintiques is a vendor offering some nice options. Many look original. Obviously someone changed your axle and wheel combo to 8 lug in the past.

H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
C-10 trucks were manufactured with 6 bolt hubs. The 8 lug hubs and wheels were installed on C-20 and C-30 axles, so either your axles have been changed, or you've got a C-20 truck with C-10 badging on the vehicle. "Lock ring" rims are made for tube type tires, and the center of the barrel section of the rim is straight, affording clearance for larger brake drums. Drop-center wheels designed for lighter duty tires and/or tubeless tires will not clear the brake drums on some heavy duty applications. The "widow maker" wheels that are dangerous to run were 20" diameter, with a tiny locking lip in the middle of the two wheel halves. That design was never used on 3/4 ton or 1 ton trucks, IMHO. Removable lock rings at the outer edge of the wheel are safe, as long as they're not badly rusted or damaged where the lock ring fits, and they're assembled and inflated correctly by someone who knows what he's doing. Split ring wheels cannot be used with tubeless tires- - - -they won't seal the air well enough for the tire to stay inflated.
Jerry

"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!"
Abraham Lincoln

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.
Ernest Hemingway

Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
S
'Bolter
Hotrod Lincoln. You are absolute correct on the C 10 rims being 6 lug. What was I thinking. Working on the C20 with 8 lug rims. was on my mind I guess. As for the C10 having two lock ring rims on the rear, and two non locking rims on the front. Would this be standard? Stan

none

Moderated by  SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop