The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search
Getting back to business
First round of holidays is about over. A few weeks before the next ones. For some of us...

Winter is Coming
Time to think about wintering your Bolt.
(continued)

A good Tech Tip
WINTERIZING YOUR TRUCK
including a link back to the Forums for some new thoughts.

Searching the Site

Get info about how to search the entire Stovebolt site here. To do a search for just the forums, get those details in the IT Shortbus fourm.
Old Truck Calendars
In the works
Nothing like an old truck calendar

2023 Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
15 members (Challenger Pilot, 69Cuda, Marty_in_Mesa, 2ManyTrucks, AaronCan2, 1 invisible), 125 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics127,668
Posts1,046,517
Members46,401
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
52Carl Offline OP
'Bolter
Spent the week at the in-laws this past week working on getting a '27 Model T back on the road after it had been sitting for 40 years.
It was my 27 year old son, myself, and his grandpa.
What a wonderful time we had.
We started with the fuel system. Tank was very clean. The sediment bowl/shut-off valve was seized up, but we got lucky and got it apart without breaking the brass parts. It needed a packing gland, but we couldn't find a suitable material to make one out of until I looked down at the belt holding my pants up. We bought a hole saw the right size, clamped the end of my belt between to pieces of wood and drilled us out a perfect sized leather packing gland.
Next we needed to see if we had spark. We bought a new 6 volt battery. The ignition switch was seized up, so I bought a push/pull on/off switch and mounted it in the hole in the dash where the missing choke cable used to reside. I tapped into the back of the original ignition switch between the battery terminal and the coil terminal, basically hot-wiring the coil. Still no spark. cleaned up the coil wire at the bottom of the coil box and now we had spark!
The car was stored on jack stands to keep the stress off of the wood spoke wheels, so we aired up the tires and took the car off the stands.
We had one tire which would not hold air, so we spent most of the day learning how to change the inner tube on a Model T without any specialty tools. Google is your friend.
That was when it took 3 generations of wantabe mechanics to get that job done. We did it! All 3 of us provided input as to how to do it. That was very rewarding to me.
Unfortunately we ran out of time to put gas in it to see if it would start.
I need to get back out to Southern Illinois soon to do just that.
I'll be driving my '50 3100 and am hoping to swing by as many Stovebolters as I can find along the way.

W
'Bolter
thumbs_up

Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.

1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
1954 3100 Chevy truck in the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
Pix on Photobucket
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Cool!

I heard no mention of bailing wire, Carl. Isn't that an essential part for Model T's? wink

Kevin
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos [flickr.com]
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
Busting rust since the mid-60's
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Be sure to adjust the vibrating points right to get the proper sounding buzz from them. Do you intend to get the flywheel mounted magneto working, or just run on the battery? Normally, the battery was only used for starting, before switching to the mag for normal running. Is it hand cranked, or does it have that newfangled electric starter?
Jerry

"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!"
Abraham Lincoln

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.
Ernest Hemingway

WAG MORE- - - - - -BARK LESS!
J
Unrepentant VW Lover
Thanks for sharing, Carl -- Cool!!

John

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
Will Rogers

'49 Chevrolet 3804
'73 IH 1310 Dump
'14 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)

Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
A '27 Model T would have an electric starter, as well as the hand crank.

Kevin
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos [flickr.com]
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
Busting rust since the mid-60's
52Carl Offline OP
'Bolter
Originally Posted by Hotrod Lincoln
Be sure to adjust the vibrating points right to get the proper sounding buzz from them. Do you intend to get the flywheel mounted magneto working, or just run on the battery? Normally, the battery was only used for starting, before switching to the mag for normal running. Is it hand cranked, or does it have that newfangled electric starter?
Jerry
For now, we were just focussed on getting it running. It has a starter. The ignition switch did not want to turn. It has 3 positions. BAT, OFF, and MAG. From what I have read, it was common to start it with the electric starter with the ignition at the BAT position. Once it was running, you then turned the ignition switch over to the MAG position real quick-like. Since the switch was stoved up pretty tight, we opted to just run it by hot wiring the coil to a temporary on/off switch mounted to the dash until I can locate a good ignition switch.
I am hoping to head back out that way in the near future to finish the job. The car is in Southern Illinois, and if I take the south route back out there, there's this hillbilly in Tennessee not far out of my way I wouldn't mind stopping for a spell and visiting while I'm passing through.

W
'Bolter
I watch a lot of those types of projects and it is fun to see how far we have come, notice I did not say how much better off we are. Good luck.

Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.

1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
1954 3100 Chevy truck in the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
Pix on Photobucket
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Come on by anytime- - - -just give me a heads-up so I won't be on a road trip a few states away! This weekend, I'm headed for Texas!
Jerry

"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!"
Abraham Lincoln

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.
Ernest Hemingway

WAG MORE- - - - - -BARK LESS!
52Carl Offline OP
'Bolter
Originally Posted by Hotrod Lincoln
Come on by anytime- - - -just give me a heads-up so I won't be on a road trip a few states away! This weekend, I'm headed for Texas!
Jerry

Will do. Looking forward to exploring your pile of priceless accumulations.
I must have thought about you a half a dozen times while we were toiling with that old car, most of it foreign to me. I was thinking, "I'll bet HRL has a better way of doing this."
I must say however, with all of the struggles with the unknowns, the rewards which come from woking things out yourself are priceless.
We employed many a farmer fix method along the way.

Last edited by 52Carl; Wed Oct 05 2022 12:59 AM.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Justhorsenround 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop