The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search
Getting back to business
First round of holidays is about over. A few weeks before the next ones. For some of us...

Winter is Coming
Time to think about wintering your Bolt.
(continued)

A good Tech Tip
WINTERIZING YOUR TRUCK
including a link back to the Forums for some new thoughts.

Searching the Site

Get info about how to search the entire Stovebolt site here. To do a search for just the forums, get those details in the IT Shortbus fourm.
Old Truck Calendars
In the works
Nothing like an old truck calendar

2023 Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
15 members (Guitplayer, Donf, glenns towing, 2ManyTrucks, greenie-reddy, Flatblu4748, 1 invisible), 212 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics127,667
Posts1,046,512
Members46,401
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
W
back yard wrench turner
Looks like a good angle to me, but I'm not an expert. I did sleep at a hotel recently!

Wayne

When I die, I hope she doesn't sell everything for what I told her I paid for it!

1938 1-Ton Farm Truck
-30-
Stovebolt Gallery Forums
J
Unrepentant VW Lover
You have greased those shackle pins, yes?

And just to foot stomp what's been said before .... that truck was not designed for more than 50 mph (as originally built ...) with that in mind, I think it would be imperative for you to completely redo your front suspension and steering. Replace the tie rod ends (if you can find some). You said you will be replacing the king pins -- good! And rebuild the steering box. Also redo your drag link, if there is a kit available to do that. I did mine on my '49 1.5 ton. None of this will likely fix the hop (I'm guessing that the suggestion to put some weight on the truck is spot on ...), but it will keep you alive if you hit a pot hole or a stick or wiggly grooves in the road at 60 mph.

Back to the hop .... Again, to reiterate what's been said above -- that truck was designed for carrying weight around. Empty, it will have a *really* stiff suspension that will not be fun to drive on, especially on bumpy roads. Before getting too crazy, put some weight back there -- at least enough to deflect the springs a little. Make sure your load is secure wink and check your tire pressures again. Then go see if the ride improves.

Always check the easy, stupid stuff first. (my paraphrase of Occam's Razor smile )

smile
John

John

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
Will Rogers

'49 Chevrolet 3804
'73 IH 1310 Dump
'14 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)

F
'Bolter
38 1.5 ton Do your tires say "nylon" on the side,if so may be humping till they warm up. Big loaded trucks setting overnite will hump pretty bad especially in cold weather. Our old trucks that set around a lot will do it,it's why you need to drive every day LOL ! Daily cruzer is best coffee shop run,donut shop,gas station,go to work,you know any reason to cruise !!

'Bolter
The radials tires I just put on mine made a world of difference in ride, handling, noise. And these are 10R-22.5 14 ply rated on the rears, metric RV tires on the front that are very close to the 8.00-22.5 original size.

1957 Chevrolet 5700 LCF 283 SM420 single speed rear, 1955 IH 300U T/A, 1978 Corvette 350 auto, 1978 Yamaha DT175, 1999 Harley Davidson Softail Fat Boy
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  69Cuda, Grigg 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop