The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search
Thanksgiving

Much to be
thankful for

YOU!
The Stovebolt Collective

Thankfulness year 'round.
All around!
Searching the Site

Get info about how to search the entire Stovebolt site here. To do a search for just the forums, get those details in the IT Shortbus fourm.
Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
1 members (WE b OLD), 60 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics127,654
Posts1,046,323
Members46,391
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1461589 Sat Aug 06 2022 03:12 PM
D
Moderated
I am new to the forum, and have been searching through the threads for part numbers for front and rear wheel cylinders. I have a leak in the drivers rear. Also, does the 2 speed dual rear axle require two cylinders per side?

Attached Images
Big Bolt Forum Moderator
welcome to the site!! that is a sharp looking truck!
I believe the 59 is the same as my 58. Yes, 2 wheel cylinders per side on the rear. There were 2 different types, one with solid rubber cups, the other one, the cups are actually rings that fit over the piston. I don't have cylinder part numbers, I just put kits in mine. You should be able to get the kits and/or cylinders at Napa. Rock Auto may also have them.

Mike

1955 Chevy 6400 ex-flatbed (no bed now!)
In the Stovebolt Gallery [stovebolt.com]

1958 Chevy 6400 flatbed W/dump

1959 Chevy Suburban Owned for almost 20 years, Daily Driver -- sold May 2016

Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof
D
Moderated
Thanks! It’s my work in progress, want re do the brake lines as well.

Big Bolt Forum Moderator
yes, definitely replace all the hoses and steel lines, as they rot/rust from the inside out.

Mike

M
Moderated
Nice Truck. 👍🏼
I have been looking for brake part numbers also. I’m redoing my brakes, wheel cylinders are next.
69Cuda is there a part number to the Napa cylinder kit?

Big Bolt Forum Moderator
Napa kits are shown below. For the rear wheel cylinders, there are 2 types, one with a solid rubber cup, the other one has a ring type cup.
Mine were the ring type.
rear wheel cylinder kit 1 1/2 bore, ring type UP 147
master cylinder kit 1 1/4" UP 33
front wheel cylinder kit 7/8" UP 129

Mike

S
Moderated
Thought I would let ya'll know some stuff I have learned while rebuilding the brakes on my recently purchased/trying to bring back to life '59 c60 viking grain truck that was last tagged 21 years ago. In working on the brakes I found a master cylinder rebuild kit for 1"1/4 bore at NAPA part number UP33 and a reman master cylinder of the same size bore is part number P21698. It fit perfectly and was about $20 bucks more than the kit. And wonder of wonders, they had one in stock and do request a core exchange.

1959 C60 viking grain bed
T
'Bolter
Question has anyone converted to a dual system type master cylinder on these larger trucks? Reason I ask is I worked with a fellow that had I think a 2 ton 57 Chev with a box on back for his vegetable, fruit business, broke a brake line going down a steep hill and crashed at the bottom into a building. I like pure stock old trucks but for driving one I'd want a dual system because of that story. So will the bolt in the stock position after market units work on the larger trucks, Ok?

Last edited by Truckrolet; Mon Oct 03 2022 05:53 AM.

Kicking self for selling off my Taskforce trucks.
Still looking for an LCF or conventional big bolt in decent shape.

As of 10-26-2022, A 55.2 Taskforce long bed now the work begins
'Bolter
If your big bolt has a divorced brake booster then a dual master is going to dictate an all new plumbing design. My '57 has the master mounted on the frame, from there a 1/4" line goes to the Hydro-Vac mounted further back on the frame, from the Hydro-vac a 1/4" goes to a tee and then front and rear.

1957 Chevrolet 5700 LCF 283 SM420 single speed rear, 1955 IH 300U T/A, 1978 Corvette 350 auto, 1978 Yamaha DT175, 1999 Harley Davidson Softail Fat Boy
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
I remember some Class A motorhomes that had a dual line master cylinder and two small hydrovac units. Front and rear brake systems were independent, but they required a pretty complex plumbing system. It would probably be more effective to keep the original system up to "as new" condition, and fit the driveshaft with a big manual disc brake setup. I don't remember the name of the company, but there is an aftermarket driveline brake that has enough power to lock up the rear wheels on a loaded truck.
Jerry

"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!"
Abraham Lincoln

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.
Ernest Hemingway

WAG MORE- - - - - -BARK LESS!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  69Cuda, Grigg 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop