The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search
Thanksgiving

Much to be
thankful for

YOU!
The Stovebolt Collective

Thankfulness year 'round.
All around!
Searching the Site

Get info about how to search the entire Stovebolt site here. To do a search for just the forums, get those details in the IT Shortbus fourm.
Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 77 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics127,654
Posts1,046,323
Members46,391
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 14 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 13 14
O
'Bolter
Yes, that would make more sense than splicing them down the line somewhere.

I'll have to see what will fit where.

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom)
1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)
1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck)
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado (The Purple Knif)
1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red)
1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe
1979 Ford F-100
1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red)
1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
B
Sir Searchalot
Put two wires into one crimp on ring tongue. If you get longer screws they may short out on the fender.
I should have told you to buy a really good terminal block instead of those Mickey Mouse originals.

Click [grainger.com]

B
'Bolter
Nobody answered your question Otto, so I'll take a stab at it.

Originally Posted by Otto Skorzeny
Do both Hi and Lo have to be wired in before testing? NO

In other words will Lo beam work if the Hi beam wiring is not installed and vice versa? YES

Last edited by Bill Hanlon; Mon Oct 03 2022 12:51 AM.
O
'Bolter
Thanks Bill.

Also, I know the center terminal on the dimmer switch is the power terminal from the dash switch.

Which of the other two are Hi Beam and Lo Beam. I assume it makes a difference in order to assure that the dimmer light on the dash comes on when the high beams are on.

1979 Ford F-100
1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
I believe the high beam indicator on the dash is wired downstream of the dimmer (high/low) switch, so it doesn't matter which of the two outer terminals are Hi or Low beam.

Kevin
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos [flickr.com]
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
Busting rust since the mid-60's
B
Sir Searchalot
Follow the wire from the Hi beam indicator and see where it goes. If you removed it during tearing out old wires, just tape and let it hang for now. Once you get it all wired, you will know which terminal (screw) on the dimmer is Hi. So attach the indicator wire to that dimmer screw using a crimp-on ring tongue terminal.

B
Sir Searchalot
Bill,
At 1:15 today I told him he does not need to test prior to full install. So the question was answered because no pretest necessary.
Otto has this down. It has all been covered. He understands the circuits, he has new wire, he gas new components and the nature of the wiring allows for easy change in case......... It's time to get it done, too simple to waste time testing. Wire it and turn it on.

6 pages is enough

"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Might I suggest Black for your ground wire. It's a bit of a universal thing.

O
'Bolter
OK, this is extremely frustrating.

Finished the wiring and now neither Hi nor Lo beams work. Ice pick test light (that works, I tested it) doesn't light up on any of the 6 lamp socket terminals.

It doesn't light up on the three terminals of the dimmer switch either. Also , the dash light Hi beam indicator does not now come on as it did during the initial testing to isolate the problems.

As you recall, we verified that I was getting current to the headlights because the Hi beams worked and the the ice pick lit up in some of the sockets.

I know you guys don't know me from Adam's house cat but I assure you that I am extremely meticulous in everything I do. That's why I ask so many questions about everything and then think about the task at hand before doing it.

I used three different colors of wire for Hi Lo and Ground in order not to accidentally mix things up.

I labeled each one as well with tape H, L and G.

I also put tape with H,L, G on the three pigtails of the new sockets from Classic so there would be absolutely no chance of getting them mixed up.

What the heck happened? The taillights and parking lights come on when the switch is pulled halfway and all the way

Hi from left and right are on a single ring terminal connected to the new terminal block which in turn is also connected to a new wire to one of the end terminals on the dimmer swtch.

Left and right Lo is done the same way to the other outer dimmer switch terminal.

Both sockets are grounded individually to the inner fender. I even put a jumper cable on the negative battery post and connected it to the body just to make sure the problem wasn't a bad ground.

Last edited by Otto Skorzeny; Mon Oct 03 2022 10:37 PM.

1979 Ford F-100
1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
B
Sir Searchalot
OK, lets check it out. One at a time. Don't jump around. Don't jump ahead. Just answer.... and wait for next step.

1. Is there 12V at center dimmer terminal when headlight switch is pull all the way out?

Page 6 of 14 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 13 14

Moderated by  Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop