The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search
Thanksgiving

Much to be
thankful for

YOU!
The Stovebolt Collective

Thankfulness year 'round.
All around!
Searching the Site

Get info about how to search the entire Stovebolt site here. To do a search for just the forums, get those details in the IT Shortbus fourm.
Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 99 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics127,654
Posts1,046,323
Members46,391
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
3800GUY #1465962 Sat Sep 10 2022 11:41 PM
F
'Bolter
I used Jim Carter's interior cab paint. I sprayed the entire cab and it laid down nicely. I like the look.

3800GUY #1469269 Sun Oct 02 2022 08:48 PM
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
After a little more sleuthing through the catacombs of the forums. I've discovered that the lighter accent color on the speaker grille, ash tray cover, and glove box door were used through early '51 production, and later '51 trucks just painted those items the main interior color. Tim Lederman had a post with a link to a GM document with the two GM color codes for the main interior color and the lighter accent color and when they were used. LInk [1954advance-design.com]
So instead of masking off the ridges of my glove box door and painting just the grooves, I'm going to paint the whole center section interior color, leaving just the top and bottom areas stainless, which will match the trim on top and bottom of the speaker grille. It'll be easier, too. Anybody need some cut-to-width tape for masking the small high areas? wink

To be correct, 3800GUY, yours should have the lighter accent color.

Kevin
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos [flickr.com]
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
Busting rust since the mid-60's
3800GUY #1469487 Tue Oct 04 2022 11:35 AM
3800GUY Offline OP
'Bolter
Kevin,
Good information as always! Yes, mine does have the lighter shade of paint on the higher ridges, and could be a bit of a pain trying to tape it up and spray the different colors. Plan to getting back on that project soon, just getting a few outdoor things done around here while the weather is still decent - winter is coming soon unfortunately. On the document you provided, would the Duco stock no. mean anything to the paint shops today? Just wondering how they might come up with a color based on that number.
Thanks again,
Tom

3800GUY #1469552 Tue Oct 04 2022 07:47 PM
Tom
If you give those Duco numbers to a paint guy nowadays, you'll just get that deer in the headlights look. frown
What I would do is get some of the base color and either add some silver to it to get it lighter or sweet talk your paint guy into lightening it up for you. Who's going to tell if you don't get it exactly right? If it looks good to you, that's all that counts. smile

I did run across some paint chips (although they're electronic so not real dependable) at TCP Global. But they were two different tones of the Cambridge Grey Poly (see attached pic). Tim's Tech tip on paint colors call the interior colors Medium Tan Metalli-Chrome and Dark Tan Metalli-Chrome. So there's lots of confusion around interiors.

As I mentioned, Jim Carter's interior paint was too dark to match my original, but their steering column paint was spot on for my truck.

I saw another pic of a guys '51 COE for sale in the swap meet that suggested that the whole speaker grille and center of the glove box door was all the same color, and appeared to be lighter than the dash itself. Found that pic too, in case the truck gets sold and the post deleted.

My plan was originally to mask the higher ridges with 3/16" wide tape and spray the lower areas, leaving the ridges polished stainless. You could spray the whole thing with the lighter color, then tape off the ridges and spray the darker. I think that would be easier than spraying darker first and taping the valleys.

Attached Images
1951-Chevrolettruck-pg09.jpg (29.16 KB, 47 downloads)
'51 COE.jpg (113.83 KB, 47 downloads)
Last edited by klhansen; Tue Oct 04 2022 07:50 PM. Reason: added suggestion for painting

Kevin
3800GUY #1469570 Tue Oct 04 2022 09:44 PM
R
'Bolter
I agree the raised ridges of the radio speaker panel were painted a lighter shade of brown and the recessed areas were painted a darker shade (like Fonz8261’s pictures). At least that’s the way it was painted on the 1952 truck we had back in the day. The earlier 1947-1950 trucks had more polished stainless and chrome trim both inside and out. Early trucks had stainless dash trim strips, stainless glove box covers, and ashtray knobs. I even have a pair of original stainless inside window moldings from a 1947 truck.

Originally Posted by RdsLessTaken
I agree the raised ridges of the radio speaker panel were painted a lighter shade of brown and the recessed areas were painted a darker shade (like Fonz8261’s pictures). At least that’s the way it was painted on the 1952 truck we had back in the day.
You may be remembering incorrectly on the '52. The two tone interior scheme for the speaker grille & glovebox was phased out mid '51, and GM went with a single color on them per the GM notice that Tim posted.
I always thought my dad's GMC shop truck was a '48, but finally came up with a picture of it, and discovered it was a '51. I do remember that it had wing windows, though. Just shows that as we age, memories change. ohwell

Kevin
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  ndkid275, Phak1 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop