The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search
Thanksgiving

Much to be
thankful for

YOU!
The Stovebolt Collective

Thankfulness year 'round.
All around!
Searching the Site

Get info about how to search the entire Stovebolt site here. To do a search for just the forums, get those details in the IT Shortbus fourm.
Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 60 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics127,654
Posts1,046,324
Members46,391
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1468980 Fri Sep 30 2022 04:39 PM
J
Jon G Offline OP
'Bolter
Nor too old, I hear. Night before last my wife and I watched "You're Never Too Young" with Jerry Lewis, Dean Martin, Raymond Burr, Nancy Kulp and others. Yes, at times it was a bit corny, but after all it was 1955 plus I don't think Jerry and Dean expected this to be an award-winning movie. And I've never minded hearing Dean Martin sing...or watching Jerry Lewis clown around. And this movie really showcased how athletic and coordinated he was and you may notice some scenes from "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" were taken straight from his performance. If you want a movie with NOTHING to disturb, insult or bother you, the kids, the grandkids, etc...this is one of those. I'd say this is an outstanding and impressive family movie which contains a neat old car or two. Plus Dean and Jerry in their prime. Pop some popcorn, step far away from the i-pads, i-pods, i-phones and enjoy. If you don't find something to laugh about, I'll be shocked. It is on YouTube (in color) and you can watch it free. Pretend you're sneaking in to the drive-in.

Now on another topic, I received this report via email today: "Unraveling the Thermocouple Approximation Error Using the Least Squares Method." I'll read it, but only after I brush up on the least squares method a bit. It has been a few years since I did any regression analysis work, after all and I may be nearing the expiration date on that plus the thermocouple approximation error.

Jon

1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235
T5 with 3.07 rear end
Jon G #1468999 Fri Sep 30 2022 05:46 PM
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Originally Posted by Jon G
Now on another topic, I received this report via email today: "Unraveling the Thermocouple Approximation Error Using the Least Squares Method." I'll read it, but only after I brush up on the least squares method a bit. It has been a few years since I did any regression analysis work, after all and I may be nearing the expiration date on that plus the thermocouple approximation error.
Talk about a blast from the past!!!!

Who the heck e-mails you stuff like that? Sounds like trying to solve matrices when in college. They tried to tell me I'd need them down the road. They were completely wrong on that. wink

There are tools for curve fitting, etc. that make it so you don't have to understand the background, just trust the tool, and know enough to tell you that the output is garbage for some reason (usually because you put the wrong info into it.)

I was helping a friend with sheetrock a while back, and he kept figuring out how much to cut off a sheet by subtracting the length needed from the sheet length. He did screw up a couple of his calculations. I just threw the tape on the sheet and marked it at the right spot. Sometimes, simple is best. ohwell

Kevin
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos [flickr.com]
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
Busting rust since the mid-60's
Jon G #1469025 Fri Sep 30 2022 10:35 PM
W
'Bolter
thumbs_up dance. I was advised in 6th grade not to take math in high school, and I did not even in college I steered away from it. But I worked for Sears and did simple calculations to build displays. I have remodeled my home inside, built additional; rooms

Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.

1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
1954 3100 Chevy truck in the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
Pix on Photobucket
Jon G #1469066 Sat Oct 01 2022 02:48 AM
J
Jon G Offline OP
'Bolter
I'm a subscriber to "All About Circuits" and also to TI's newsletter, Newark's newsletter and a few others. A lot of theoretical stuff plus some really outer fringe articles. Probably why I enjoy watching Jerry Lewis clown around. Nice and simple looking but simultaneously complex.

Jon

1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235
T5 with 3.07 rear end
Jon G #1469153 Sat Oct 01 2022 09:44 PM
C
'Bolter
I will not hire a fabricator that does not have a grasp of trig and vectors. Without it you are just cutting, fitting, welding and praying. When we build a ground up rod we KNOW what it is going to do. I am NOT good at math and have to plod through each step as I was taught but have ones that can jump from step A to G to M, while I have to go A to B to C etc. Without basic math you may repair but never BUILD.

Evan

Moderated by  Justhorsenround 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop