The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search
Getting back to business
First round of holidays is about over. A few weeks before the next ones. For some of us...

Winter is Coming
Time to think about wintering your Bolt.
(continued)

A good Tech Tip
WINTERIZING YOUR TRUCK
including a link back to the Forums for some new thoughts.

Searching the Site

Get info about how to search the entire Stovebolt site here. To do a search for just the forums, get those details in the IT Shortbus fourm.
Old Truck Calendars
In the works
Nothing like an old truck calendar

2023 Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
8 members (2-Ton, Hotrod Lincoln, JW51, Maybellene, Atticusnine, TewacaRanch), 185 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics127,667
Posts1,046,514
Members46,401
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
'Bolter
When I saw the picture of the homemade fuse panel a few days ago I thought "the guy who wired this truck did a really nice job". Then I saw the picture of the cut off switch this morning and I think I've changed my mind.

My '52 GMC came to me with a similar cut off switch. It has a 00 size 2 foot long wire to the battery negative post and a 2 foot long 00 size wire to the upper bolt that mounts the starter to the bellhousing. The only time I turn the switch off is when I'm working on the electrics and want to guarantee a dead circuit.

If you have an analog voltmeter with a low DC voltage scale and a helper try this:

Set the meter to its lowest DC volt scale.
Touch the black (negative) voltmeter lead to the battery ground cable where it connects to the switch. Don't touch the lug on the switch.
Touch the red (positive) voltmeter lead to the ground cable on the other post of the switch.
Have the helper try to start the engine while you note voltage on the meter. 0.5 volts is too much.

This procedure can be used to check other connections like battery cable to battery post, across the two big posts of the starter solenoid, battery cable to top post of the solenoid, etc. Always do the test when the circuit is under heavy load like trying to start.

Last edited by Bill Hanlon; Thu Sep 29 2022 02:26 PM.
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
There are about three versions of the disconnect switch, and at least one of them can't handle starter current. The one we used on the round track cars was rated for either 750 or 1K amps surge current. The disconnect with a remote operating handle simply won't work well if the starter tries to use it as part of the circuit. Slow cranking and/or the switch getting hot are the symptoms to look for. I like to use a bellhousing attaching bolt or one of the motor mount bolts to secure the ground cable. Be sure to scrape away ALL the paint on the block before bolting the able lug terminal on.

Bill's voltage drop test is also known as a "series resistance test". I learned to do that from my father in the early 1960's, while trying to make a flathead Ford V8 with 11:1 compression crank on 6 volts!
Jerry

"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!"
Abraham Lincoln

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.
Ernest Hemingway

WAG MORE- - - - - -BARK LESS!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Justhorsenround, KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop