The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search
Getting back to business
First round of holidays is about over. A few weeks before the next ones. For some of us...

Winter is Coming
Time to think about wintering your Bolt.
(continued)

A good Tech Tip
WINTERIZING YOUR TRUCK
including a link back to the Forums for some new thoughts.

Searching the Site

Get info about how to search the entire Stovebolt site here. To do a search for just the forums, get those details in the IT Shortbus fourm.
Old Truck Calendars
In the works
Nothing like an old truck calendar

2023 Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
10 members (Skooter, JW51, Lightholder's Dad, JoeDude, Marty_in_Mesa, 1 invisible), 214 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics127,667
Posts1,046,514
Members46,401
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
P
'Bolter
In some GM distributors, the limit pins are small enough diameter that a short section of tubing (brake line?) can fit over them and still allow free motion, limiting pin travel in both directions by 2 X the wall thickness.

L
Lugnutz Offline OP
'Bolter
Originally Posted by panic
In some GM distributors, the limit pins are small enough diameter that a short section of tubing (brake line?) can fit over them and still allow free motion, limiting pin travel in both directions by 2 X the wall thickness.

I have this junk (likely repairable - but not by me) distributor laying around. So I’m pretty sure this is the pin and slot you are referring to. I can see how a bushing or piece of tubing slipped over the pin would limit travel in both directions. Probably wouldn’t need to be very thick.

So changing springs would change the rate of advance but wouldn’t change the amount of advance. Limiting the movement of the pin with a bushing will reduce the amount of mechanical advance.

Attached Images
Last edited by Lugnutz; Wed Sep 28 2022 12:44 AM.
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
I simply drill a 1/16" hole beside the pin and drive a short spring steel roll pin into the hole. If more restriction is needed, move up to a 3/32" pin. It restricts the travel just enough to be able to add some initial timing without over-advancing the centrifugal, without doing any welding.
Jerry

"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!"
Abraham Lincoln

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.
Ernest Hemingway

WAG MORE- - - - - -BARK LESS!
'Bolter
Thanks for the tips. I have a couple of spare distributors so I can afford to experiment a little.
Jerry, so the roll pin doesn't work loose in all the whirling around and vibration?

51 3800 PU, 62 261 (w/cam, Fenton headers, 2 carbs, MSD ign.), SM420 & Brown-Lipe 6231A 3spd aux. trans, stock axles & brakes. Owned since 1971.
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
I've used that method on 7K RPM+ racing engines- - - -haven't lost one yet! Just make sure you drill the hole the right size for a good tight fit with the roll pin or thread it for a small machine screw and LocTite.
Jerry

"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!"
Abraham Lincoln

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.
Ernest Hemingway

WAG MORE- - - - - -BARK LESS!
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop