The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search
Getting back to business
First round of holidays is about over. A few weeks before the next ones. For some of us...

Winter is Coming
Time to think about wintering your Bolt.
(continued)

A good Tech Tip
WINTERIZING YOUR TRUCK
including a link back to the Forums for some new thoughts.

Searching the Site

Get info about how to search the entire Stovebolt site here. To do a search for just the forums, get those details in the IT Shortbus fourm.
Old Truck Calendars
In the works
Nothing like an old truck calendar

2023 Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
13 members (Donf, glenns towing, Flatblu4748, buoymaker, 55shaker, 50Chevy3100, 1 invisible), 220 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics127,667
Posts1,046,509
Members46,401
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
D
'Bolter
Then it must use some sort of magnet set up in the trigger ring, with the placement of the magnets essentially controlling the amount of time the modle is triggered and the coil is firing so to speak. Seems to me that if you had a distributor with a wobbly shaft, there would be a varaiation in the dwell so to speak as the trigger ring moved in relation to the module. A lot of guys like the Petronix. But I would venture that really what you need to make them work at their best, is a distributor that is mechanically working at its best.

Mike
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
I like to machine the stovebolt distributor housing for a Torrington needle bearing just below the cenftrifugal advance to eliminate any possibility of shaft wobble, like Accell and Mallory did many years ago. It's also possible to use a degree wheel, a dial indicator, and a set of needle files to "blueprint" the cam for precisely the same duration and lift for all the lobes. Converting the housing to a GM HEI setup is much easier, however.
Jerry

"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!"
Abraham Lincoln

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.
Ernest Hemingway

WAG MORE- - - - - -BARK LESS!
B
'Bolter
Originally Posted by Hotrod Lincoln
The General Motors HEI reluctor and pickup coil an be adapted to an OEM distributor housing, with the HEI module mounted remotely on a finned heat sink

I've been using a GM HEI based ignition kit [devestechnet.com] from 'Bolter Deve for 7+ years and 30k+ miles with no problems. The only modification I made was to hide the HEI module inside a voltage regulator box. My '52 GMC used a "short" distributor cap while the kit needs a tall distributor, so I changed to a '54 Chevy distributor.

Don't tell the Stovebolt Gestapo, but I think it uses a mid 70s Chrysler slant 6 reluctor wheel and mag pickup.

H
Yep- - - -guess who suggested that modification? No attribution! I've moved on to using the GM reluctor and pickup coil, which is a little more reliable, and a LOT easier to source than the MOPAR trigger. Currently, I'm working on using the point-type V8 distributor with the adjustment window in the cap, adapted to the same reluctor/pickup setup, instead of using the big cap HEI distributor. That gives V8 conversions of the early 1950's and older cabs more firewall clearance.
Jerry

"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!"
Abraham Lincoln

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.
Ernest Hemingway

D
'Bolter
Jerry:

Any chance you have some photos and instructions on using the GM parts in the 235 distributor? Like you, I think the HEI is an absolute winner in terms of ignition.

Mike
H
I'm working on a couple of different versions. One uses the original cast iron distributor housing, and the other uses the later model aluminum 230/250/292 housing. Both of them involve machining the cam lobes down to a full circle and pressing the reluctor onto the shaft instead of triggering points. Then the pickup coil will be mounted to the housing. The aluminum housing version will have a pivoted hub connected to the vacuum advance. I'll do a photo shoot as I assemble things, and share the details as I go. I'm not greedy enough to want to profit from these projects- - - -I'll just do the R&D and let other people duplicate, and maybe improve on my efforts.
Jerry

Abraham Lincoln

Ernest Hemingway

'Bolter
I don't mean to hyjack this thread but for some reason I'm no longer able to start new threads. They all say "This forum has been removed from your list of favorites or words to that effect. Maybe I've done something bad.

So here's my issue which is closely related to this discussion:

I've been using an MSD Capacitive Discharge ignition for many years now and triggering it with factory points. I'd like to go to the reluctor system and eliminate the the points entirely. Occasionally, if the trucks sits in wet weather the points will oxidize and I must dress them with a file. Admittedly its not much of an inconvenience but still... I recognize that eventually I'll have to replace the points assy. when the rubbing block wears down despite keeping it greased. Points for these are no longer a NAPA in-stock item so I'm anticipating the day I'll need some and can't get it right away.

I'd just buy Deve's kit but I think you have to buy the whole shebang including the electronic unit, which I don't need. So I'm looking for an alternative.

Also, I'd like to be able to limit the mechanical advance in the factory distributor, for two reasons: one is that the hotter cam I'm running would like more initial advance and the other is the nature of capacitive discharge ignition. In a CD system the coil's secondary-winding, voltage-rise time is much faster than in a kettering ignition, be it factory or transistor triggered. So by say 3000 RPM the shorter rise time is making itself felt as a several degree earlier ignition. To compensate, I limit the initial advance and start off in low range to reduce the bog off idle. So far all this seat-of-the-pants tuning.

In the days when I messed with SBC V8s there was a kit you could buy with a set of advance springs ov various weights and several bushings to limit the total advance. I still have some of those parts but they don't fit a 6 cyl dist. So far as I know there is no such kit for a 235 dizzy. Now that I've raised the compression ration a full point to 9.25:1 all this probably matters more

51 3800 PU, 62 261 (w/cam, Fenton headers, 2 carbs, MSD ign.), SM420 & Brown-Lipe 6231A 3spd aux. trans, stock axles & brakes. Owned since 1971.
H
There's a way to limit the centrifugal advance by altering the length of the slot where the weights move. It's a lot simpler to describe in a 2-way conversation. Drop me a PM and I'll share a phone number with you. I set up race engine distributors that way when we were running in a "stock" class that didn't allow aftermarket distributors like Mallory or Accell. None of my competitors could understand why my engine could run close to 7K RPM without the "stock appearing" HEI distributor getting spark scatter. The tech inspectors were baffled, too, and I wasn't about to give away any tuning secrets!
Jerry

Abraham Lincoln

Ernest Hemingway

J
'Bolter
It's not all that hard to limit advance, pull the shaft out, pull the advance plate off, braze the slot about 1/2 way shut, dress it down with a file, and reassemble. Having a distributor machine to test on helps. Its trial and error at this point, on my distributer machine I would run it up and see how much advance it has, pull it back out and file out the slot till it has the correct amount, or weld more in if it still has to much. I haven't seen any kits for the points distributors, only HEI's, but I never paid much attention to them. I usually keep the springs and junk the weights from the kits, they never seem to work as good as the original style weights.

H
Instead of welding, I usually drill a hole and install a spring steel roll pin in the slot to limit the movement of the advance. Then I use a diamond burr in a Dremel tool to fine tune the travel if necessary. A delay flash timing light works as well as, or sometimes batter than a distributor tester for checking the finished product.
Jerry

Abraham Lincoln

Ernest Hemingway

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop