The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search
Thanksgiving

Much to be
thankful for

YOU!
The Stovebolt Collective

Thankfulness year 'round.
All around!
Searching the Site

Get info about how to search the entire Stovebolt site here. To do a search for just the forums, get those details in the IT Shortbus fourm.
Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
1 members (WE b OLD), 60 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics127,654
Posts1,046,324
Members46,391
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1468038 Sat Sep 24 2022 08:46 PM
C
'Bolter
What used to be "prime" parts are now in my Ranger to be rolled out on the scrap pile down in the storage yard. 350 four bolt main block, 882 heads, adapter sbc to flat head Ford. When every nook and cranny is stacked to the ceiling hard decisions have to be made. Now if inline 6's don't have 7 mains, 12 port head, and modern oiling/rocker set up it's scrap pile bound. With V8's it's Modular Ford or LS/LT Chevy or the scrap pile. Makes an old timer shed a tear.

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/qNLzHckf/IMG-5185.jpg[/img] [postimg.cc]

Last edited by coilover; Sat Sep 24 2022 08:48 PM.

Evan
W
back yard wrench turner
Are they not worth selling to the public?

Wayne

When I die, I hope she doesn't sell everything for what I told her I paid for it!

1938 1-Ton Farm Truck
-30-
Stovebolt Gallery Forums
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
I'll be headed that direction in a week or two, and I'll be glad to give that stuff a new home. My GMC parts relay plans went sideways, so I'll be making the whole round trip by myself, maybe with a second driver partway. Do you happen to remember if the 350 block has a standard bore, or is it oversize? I'm looking for a 4 bolt block that can be sleeved down to 3 3/4".
Jerry

"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!"
Abraham Lincoln

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.
Ernest Hemingway

WAG MORE- - - - - -BARK LESS!
C
'Bolter
Jerry,
Have no idea of the bore size and there may be a problem. Engine came in a T roadster and has been sitting in the weather for at least a year so may be rusted where 0.060 won't clean up the cylinders. Have battery impacts, 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 plus sockets that you are welcome to use. I know that you know the 4 bolt block was GM's weakest. Two bolt with Milodon or Moroso splayed main caps or a girdle are much stronger. We never separated the bottom of a two bolt block but was common on four bolt blocks in sprint cars where 60% or more of the weight is on rear tires. A sticky clay track that got rough was doom for four bolt blocks.

Evan
H
I put a set of aftermarket 4 bolt main caps on a 305 block once, and line bored the new caps. It disappeared from storage when a less than honest relative got short on beer money, along with anything else he could sell for scrap! I was planning to build a short stroke, high RPM round track engine with it to get around a carburetor size restriction at a round track we ran. 250 cubic inches or so through a Holley 350 CFM 2 barrel seemed to be a way to get 1500-2K RPM more than the guys running the same carb on a 350. My engines always sounded like a bumblebee on steroids. I would probably load up the whole assembly "as is", since a neighbor over the hill from my place is building a hotrod from a 47 Ford 2 door sedan. He would probably be glad to get that adapter and transmission.
Jerry

"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!"
Abraham Lincoln

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.
Ernest Hemingway

C
'Bolter
You're still in luck but not your neighbor. A friend of a customer spotted the adapter and flat head trans and latched onto them.

Evan
H
Yep, the old "trash VS treasure" thing!
LOL!
Jerry

Abraham Lincoln

Ernest Hemingway

Moderated by  Justhorsenround 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop