The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search
Thanksgiving

Much to be
thankful for

YOU!
The Stovebolt Collective

Thankfulness year 'round.
All around!
Searching the Site

Get info about how to search the entire Stovebolt site here. To do a search for just the forums, get those details in the IT Shortbus fourm.
Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 90 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics127,654
Posts1,046,323
Members46,391
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#1466506 Thu Sep 15 2022 11:32 AM
D
'Bolter
I will be the first to say I love online shopping. Because of online shopping you can now find items you would never of been able to get in the past. It comes at a cost, literally. I have a 47 dodge 1/2 ton I am working on in addition to my 54 3100. I need new brake wheel cylinders. The after market specialty sites have them but charge a premium. $60. I found them on Rockauto.com for $23. I thought this is great. I added 3 to my shopping cart. When I went to check out, it showed each brake cylinder was shipping from a separate warehouse and had a $10 shipping cost for each one. Are you kidding. Most people don't buy just one if they are rebuilding their brake system. Why would you not keep them in the same location? So now, what I thought was going to be a bargain has jumped in price by almost 50%. I bought an ignition key blank from eBay last week. Not even any of the local locksmiths had one for the 47. I had no choice. The shipping cost for that key was $10. They shipped it in a box about 8" square???? They could have dropped it in an envelope and sent it for the cost of a postage stamp.

I have not ordered the brake cylinders yet. I will have to but I need some time to come to terms with paying $30 shipping when it should have been combined in one box for $10.

Dave from Northern Kentucky
My 54 3100
dgrinnan #1466509 Thu Sep 15 2022 12:00 PM
Ex Hall Monitor
I only buy on-line when I don't have a local option or the local cost is way out of line. On-line is often cheaper but the internet sellers don't employ local people or sponsor little league teams or donate to the local food pantry. Yes, sometimes I have to but I always check locally first. As to the subject of your post, I also have to often shake my head at the way internet sellers ship items. I recently bought a U-joint bell gasket kit for my 53 from The Filling Station. It would have shipped in an 8x12 padded envelop for a couple of bucks but they charged for and sent it in a flat rate box for a LOT more money. I used to be able to call them and ask for a sensible shipping option like your example of the key in an envelop and they would do it but no longer it seems. I asked for the above mentioned padded envelope and was told he only had two shipping options.

Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Let's go Jared!
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
dgrinnan #1466516 Thu Sep 15 2022 12:36 PM
Grease Monkey, Moderator General Truck Talk & Greasy Spoon and HiPo Forum
Oldmoparts.com is where I get 90% of my antique Dodge parts. Andy has darn near every part you could possibly want. Yes, he is proud of his stuff but he’s got it.

Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne 4dr 230 I-6 one owner (I’m #2) “Emily”
‘39 Dodge Businessmans Coupe “Clarence”

"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

dgrinnan #1466517 Thu Sep 15 2022 12:47 PM
D
'Bolter
I have bought a lot of parts from him but as you stated, it comes at a premium. I bought my brake shoes from him.

My 54 3100
dgrinnan #1466588 Thu Sep 15 2022 07:01 PM
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
I hear you about the different warehouses that RockAuto uses. I've backed out of ordering items because of that. Overall (if everything is coming from the same place) RockAuto is reasonable on shipping costs. I bought a rocker panel from them and expected to get put over a barrel on shipping, but was pleasantly surprised when the cost was reasonable.
Amazon Prime offers "free" shipping (that you actually pay for), but you have to watch out for jacked up prices. They're not always the best price. I just saw that Amazon was dinged for penalizing vendors for offering items directly for less than what they sell for on Amazon.
I've bought electronic stuff from DigiKey and received a box with a cubic foot of packing material and a small envelope of resistors. dang

Kevin
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos [flickr.com]
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
Busting rust since the mid-60's
dgrinnan #1466601 Thu Sep 15 2022 07:52 PM
D
'Bolter
Yea, I have bought a lot of parts from Rockauto and also cancelled purchases because of the warehouse thing. I actually just got lucky. I found 2 of the 3 wheel cylinders I needed on Amazon. One specific dealer had them for half what others are asking. It was their last 2 in stock. Rabestos cyinders for $22 and they were a Prime dealer. Free shipping. Everyone else wants $50 something

My 54 3100
dgrinnan #1466637 Fri Sep 16 2022 03:52 AM
R
'Bolter
Originally Posted by dgrinnan
The shipping cost for that key was $10. They shipped it in a box about 8" square???? They could have dropped it in an envelope and sent it for the cost of a postage stamp.

I had the same thing happen to me with some parts for a plow was working on. I ordered 4 metal clips, about 1" square through an implement dealer. They had them shipped direct to me. As you mentioned, they came in a box about 7" or 8" square! The freight costs were almost as much as the parts. They also could have dropped them into a padded envelope and sent them for a buck!

Rich

'47 Loadmaster [stovebolt.com]

1947 Chev. Loadmaster

1959 Chev. Viking 40

Genie: "I am the genie from a magic lamp and I have the power to grant you three wishes."
Me: "I want to be rich."
Genie: "OK, Rich, what's your second wish?"
dgrinnan #1466647 Fri Sep 16 2022 08:05 AM
W
'Bolter
I ordered the oil filter hoses from someone I never heard of because they were the only ones saying they had them. $100 with shipping. 2 days later I got a notice from a company I have bought from n the past both for $49.00 ohwell

Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.

1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
1954 3100 Chevy truck in the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
Pix on Photobucket
dgrinnan #1467002 Sun Sep 18 2022 02:44 AM
D
'Bolter
DGRINNAN, I have those key blanks,, I could have had as many as you wanted, 3.00ea. in your mailbox for free postage.
Maybe next time................
Marty

dgrinnan #1467453 Tue Sep 20 2022 07:52 PM
W
'Bolter
I put a small part in an envelope one time & sent it for the cost of the stamp. The guy got the envelope in about 2 weeks all torn up. The part was gone.
The machines the post office use will not work for parts like that.

George

They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.

1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Justhorsenround 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop