The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search
Thanksgiving

Much to be
thankful for

YOU!
The Stovebolt Collective

Thankfulness year 'round.
All around!
Searching the Site

Get info about how to search the entire Stovebolt site here. To do a search for just the forums, get those details in the IT Shortbus fourm.
Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 66 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics127,652
Posts1,046,325
Members46,394
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1466021 Sun Sep 11 2022 07:36 PM
A
'Bolter
For my 52 GMC burb. Was looking for info on converting my sliding windows to one piece glass and found an old thread that had this, https://www.classicparts.com/1947-5...ip-Kit/productinfo/01-505/#.UljaHj3n_IU. Looks to be good/current at Classic Parts. Anyone used this kit? I don't have glass or any of channels, felt strips, etc. I do have the SS pull bars and inner and outer trims. Anything else needed? Don't have anything to look at to compare or to tell me just what was in there originally. Had consigned myself to solid glass but might now consider going sliders. Any thoughts or help appreciated. Can see the light at the end of the tunnel! Shooting for December completion. I can dream can't I?

AZCornman

First vehicle..1967 Chevy short bed pickup..sold when got married frown
1953 Chevy pickup restored.. sold to purchase Toy Hauler trailer
1952 GMC Army Ambulance..work in progress
1964 GMC long bed Pickup 305 big block V/6
bought to restore with son and his 14 yr old son
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!

A
'Bolter
Thanks for the reply Mark. I've looked at that install post of yours several times. I'm now understanding it a little better. Like I posted, I have the bare window, SS slider with the tab on it, and all the trims inner and outer and the inner trim mounting strips. I'm not quite sure about the "channel". Is it a metal that has to be formed to the frame per your instructions? I've seen other posts that created channel with aluminum U channel. Is that not needed with this kit? ie Is the kit all thats needed? Also, does the forward stationary channel just friction fit between the trims? Or glue it in? I know I'm sounding a little "dense". Sorry, just want to understand clearly. I've bought the glass patterns from Jim Carter. I've found a 52 gmc just like mine in the weeds up the mountain (army ambulance) that I'm going to check out to get a better understanding.

Thanks again,

Rick

"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
It's been such a long time, I'll need a minute or two to review what I dd back then. So, give me a minute. I'm also going to need to do the job again as it is time to strip it down for paint. So, this time around, I'll take better pictures and see if the tech tip needs updating.

BTW, the channel is the same type of felt channel stuff used for the windows in the passenger doors. It's held in by a combination friction, glue and screws if I remember. Everything you need is in the kit. Except for the weather strip adhesive.

A
'Bolter
OK, thanks. Looks like I'll give it a try. I'll watch for any update you might post.

Rick

A
'Bolter
So I've been investigating this issue a couple of months now. Classic parts still show the window slider kits...but they are on backorder. Sales lady says that their distributor is lacking parts that are backordered.... from overseas. Supply chain?? Jim Carter has a kit listed, part # WI-207, but the picture only shows the glass run channel. The salesman is having trouble understanding the parts I'm explaining to him. Maybe a new guy? Anyway, does anyone know or have any experience with the Carter glass slider kit?

Richard

Moderated by  MNSmith, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop