The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search
Getting back to business
First round of holidays is about over. A few weeks before the next ones. For some of us...

Winter is Coming
Time to think about wintering your Bolt.
(continued)

A good Tech Tip
WINTERIZING YOUR TRUCK
including a link back to the Forums for some new thoughts.

Searching the Site

Get info about how to search the entire Stovebolt site here. To do a search for just the forums, get those details in the IT Shortbus fourm.
Old Truck Calendars
In the works
Nothing like an old truck calendar

2023 Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
3 members (Brando4905, stlcardinalsguy, Pearl_Lake), 213 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics127,667
Posts1,046,496
Members46,401
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1462928 Wed Aug 17 2022 02:50 AM
F
'Bolter
Looking forward to joining this community! I was able to find a mostly untouched 1953 Chevy 3100 pickup. Not sure if it's the original 235, but it looks in pretty good shape. I bought it from a really nice gentlemen who was the 2nd owner with clean title. It's a 5 window and he told me not many of these trucks in 1953 came with the spare tire holder on the drivers side of the pickup? I guess maybe only one of 500 made with this feature? I assume I can get some correction on that around here.

It ran about 10 years ago before being put in dry storage. I am really excited to learn more about these 235 Stovebolt's. Any tips on what I should look for on these engines after they have been sitting awhile? Other than being converted to 12v at some point it looks all original to me. Only thing I have found so far is that the generate appears to not be lined up great with the fan belt. I heard you can flip a bracket around? Or would it be best to just get a new alternator setup? I would like to get it running and driving before starting my restoration project. My long term goal is to get it back to the original green color, redo the interior and button up the 235. Not looking for a show truck but one I can drive down my dirt road and not worry about it smile

Attached Images
IMG_3216.jpg (272.38 KB, 101 downloads)
IMG_3217.jpg (245.47 KB, 102 downloads)

1953 Chevy 3100 4 spd
R
'Bolter
Welcome! Looks like a nice pickup you have there.

Checkout the various forums here on the site. There are forums that deal specifically with the questions you are asking. Ask your questions there and you should get the answers you are looking for. There are also tech tips here dealing with engines that have been sitting a while.

Good luck, and keep us posted on your progress.

Rich

'47 Loadmaster [stovebolt.com]

1947 Chev. Loadmaster

1959 Chev. Viking 40

Genie: "I am the genie from a magic lamp and I have the power to grant you three wishes."
Me: "I want to be rich."
Genie: "OK, Rich, what's your second wish?"
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Nice truck - welcome to the site. thumbs_up

Looks like it's had some work done over the years - Paint job, aftermarket wheels, and an interesting rear bumper. And if it has a 235, an engine change. The original would have been a 216.

Kevin
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos [flickr.com]
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
Busting rust since the mid-60's
AD Addict
Welcome to the ‘bolt! Nice truck and a great start to your project as the body looks to be in great shape.

Kevin is right about the engine. If it’s a 235, it has been changed. Go the the Engine forum and post some pictures of the engine and the embossed numbers on the engine and head and the stamped numbers on the flat behind the distributor and we can tell you all about your engine. Here is a link on where these numbers are located. [LINK] [1954advance-design.com]

235’s prior to ‘55 are a bolt in swap and engines from ‘55 thru ‘62 require the water pump to be relocated to get it centered on the radiator. Pictures will tell the story.

Forrest green would have been the original color and ‘53 was the first year that GM installed side mounted spares on the 3100, so it is indeed rare.

Last edited by Phak1; Thu Aug 18 2022 11:53 PM.

Phil
Moderator, The Engine Shop & Interiors

1952 Chevrolet 3100
Project Journals
Stovebolt Gallery Forum

‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters
“Three on the Tree” & 4:11 torque tube
12v w/ Alternator
P
'Bolter
Nice! Purchased my first AD in 1969; 1953 5 window with side mount spare. Ironically it was in nearly the same color with a 235.

Grease Monkey, Moderator General Truck Talk & Greasy Spoon and HiPo Forum
Welcome to the Stovebolt madness. There is no cure! shake

Please take the time to read our Tech Tip on bringing back a dead engine. It could save you a few thousand dollars.

Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne 4dr 230 I-6 one owner (I’m #2) “Emily”
‘39 Dodge Businessmans Coupe “Clarence”

"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

F
'Bolter
Originally Posted by klhansen
Nice truck - welcome to the site. thumbs_up

Looks like it's had some work done over the years - Paint job, aftermarket wheels, and an interesting rear bumper. And if it has a 235, an engine change. The original would have been a 216.

Thank you! You are correct, the 2nd owner painted this truck blue, added aftermarket wheels/tires, and slapped on a 70's Chevy rear bumper (not my favorite look). The good news is that he still has the original wheels to the truck and he will get them out of storage for me.

1953 Chevy 3100 4 spd
'Bolter
Is this the Tech Tip you all are referring to ... Bringing a dead engine back to life By The Stovebolt Collective.

More discussion about this tip in the Engine Forum

An old forum discussion but a lot of info.

BTW, Welcome FR. wave Glad to see you got the hang of posting images. thumbs_up

Last edited by Peggy M; Thu Aug 18 2022 07:41 PM.

Peggy M
Bird's eye view is a bit different than the worm's ~~ and it ISN'T about food. wink
Grease Monkey, Moderator General Truck Talk & Greasy Spoon and HiPo Forum
Yes Peggy that is the one.

Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne 4dr 230 I-6 one owner (I’m #2) “Emily”
‘39 Dodge Businessmans Coupe “Clarence”

"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Moderated by  Achipmunk, klhansen, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop