The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search
Thanksgiving

Much to be
thankful for

YOU!
The Stovebolt Collective

Thankfulness year 'round.
All around!
Searching the Site

Get info about how to search the entire Stovebolt site here. To do a search for just the forums, get those details in the IT Shortbus fourm.
Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 60 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics127,654
Posts1,046,324
Members46,391
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#1462271 Thu Aug 11 2022 06:17 PM
S
'Bolter
I am a cash kind of guy. The plastic is there in case of emergency or I order something online. I don't like getting bills monthly telling me how much I spent. That is me and I realize I am in the minority.
But recently it got to the point where I may have to reconsider. People today don't understand cash. If I go for a cup of coffee the server thrusts a card terminal my way. I say I'll pay cash and they get nervous. Two recent examples. I bought a salad at a fast food place. The cost was $8.40. I put down $10.40 and the cashier pushed the 40 cents back towards me and then gave me $1.60 change. Same thing here. Some pastries came to $15.35 and I gave $20.35. You can imagine the results. Better still another bill was $21.45 so I gave one dollar forty five in coins and $25 in bills. I could see the wheels spinning and admittedly it took a while but I got the right change.
I am not talking only about young people but many older ones are also confused.

"Sedgewick"
1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
1989 Caprice

Sedgewick #1462273 Thu Aug 11 2022 06:41 PM
W
'Bolter
I don't like cards but the reality of it is I don't like to carry a lot of cash. Also, my ability to deal with cash seems to be diminishing. It is taking longer to figure out the concept that you use. What you have to go through to pay cash at a gas station is stupid. I understand their side but back in the day when gas was cheaper I would fill up but I do not carry enough for a full tank. The other day I wanted to get a measured amount and at this particular station, their pumps have difficulty excepting my debit card. I told the attendant and he said to pay cash but I told him I did not know what it would cost. So said to give him my ID or cash and I refused so he finally said, do promise to come back I said ok. dang I have bought gas there since 1973, but you know how the turnover of help is in those places. A new face every week.

Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.

1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
1954 3100 Chevy truck in the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
Pix on Photobucket
Sedgewick #1462276 Thu Aug 11 2022 06:54 PM
Socket Breaker
Everyone I know who still uses cash has similar stories.

I miss the old days of when you'd buy gas and they would have cash only registers to keep things moving in the store. That went the way of the dinosaur so I use a debit/credit card for gas mostly.

I guess they don't teach anyone how to count money anymore in school.

-Woog

Sedgewick #1462278 Thu Aug 11 2022 07:06 PM
W
'Bolter
Do you remember the belt changers?? I remember 17 cents a gallon, around 1956 or 1957.

Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.

1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
1954 3100 Chevy truck in the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
Pix on Photobucket
Sedgewick #1462283 Thu Aug 11 2022 07:53 PM
Ex Hall Monitor
Anything over $10 I use my credit card almost exclusively. I carry enough cash for odds & ends. I get points to redeem for toys and purchase protection. Using the debit card requires keeping careful track of spending to keep from having to pay overdraw charges or having the purchase refused so I don't use it.

Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Let's go Jared!
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Sedgewick #1462292 Thu Aug 11 2022 08:42 PM
W
back yard wrench turner
I don't use my debit card except at my bank's atm.

I use my credit card for everything. I get back at least 2% on all my purchases. It's paid off every month and we use the 2% to help pay the bill.

Wayne

When I die, I hope she doesn't sell everything for what I told her I paid for it!

1938 1-Ton Farm Truck
-30-
Stovebolt Gallery Forums
Sedgewick #1462297 Thu Aug 11 2022 09:01 PM
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Money talks- - - -especially at a flea market or a swap meet. I just don't keep much cash in my billfold- - - -but there's usually a stash of several C-notes somewhere in my truck. I've made some killer deals on tools, engines, machinery, guns, etc. by having green stuff instead of plastic available.
Jerry

"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!"
Abraham Lincoln

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.
Ernest Hemingway

WAG MORE- - - - - -BARK LESS!
Sedgewick #1462299 Thu Aug 11 2022 09:17 PM
J
Workshop Owner
I agree with Jerry, having the cash readily available can enhance one's chances of scoring some great deals. However, for everyday purchases I charge most everything to my Discover Credit card (except for fast food drive thru's).

I do not use my debit card anywhere besides my bank as I don't want anyone withdrawing money from my accounts besides me.

FWIW: When using a credit card, you have the credit card company for assistance when a purchase goes wrong.

John

J Lucas

1941 Chevy 1/2-Ton
1942 Chevy 1.5-Ton SWB
1959 Chevy Apache 31 Fleetside
1959 Chevy Apache 32 Fleetside
1969 Chevy C-50 Grain Truck

My Flicker Photos! [flickr.com]

Sedgewick #1462305 Thu Aug 11 2022 09:34 PM
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
That 3-digit "verification code" on the back of a card unlocks all the money in your account to anyone who gets hold of it. I always scrape that off the card and store a copy of it somewhere else in my billfold, or memorize it. The server who accepts your card when you pay for a meal and writes down the card number and the code can go on a shopping spree before you get home. A motel desk clerk in Illinois got a very expensive pair of shoes on my dime that way, even before I checked out the next morning. The card company refunded the charge, but it was still a hassle!
Jerry

"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!"
Abraham Lincoln

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.
Ernest Hemingway

WAG MORE- - - - - -BARK LESS!
Sedgewick #1462307 Thu Aug 11 2022 09:39 PM
F
'Bolter
I carry 3k to 4k on me at all times. Never know when you are driving by something that needs to go home with me.

While on my recent mc trip icecream girls tried robbing me. I gave them a 100 and they purposefully shorted me 30 bucks. As I count it and say ummmm you didn't give me the right change they say oh yea give me the 10 and I here take these two 20s........

That immediately prompts me to have a frank conversation with the manager. She knew exactly what she was doing because she knew immediately what to do to make it right. One was fired right on the spot, and told to leave. The other manager said thank you for info.

Last edited by Ferris Bueller; Fri Aug 12 2022 08:55 PM.

1966 C-10 Step Side. 283, 4spd, 3.73 gear. 60K miles prior to restoration. 507 Paint Code. Currently in 10,000 pieces.
Transmission is done! Rear Suspension is done! Wheels are done! Bed bodywork is done! Soon to order a 383 crate.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Justhorsenround 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop