The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search
What's going on?
What's happening?

Find out in
THE SHOPS !

Genearl Truck Talk
20,267 threads; 177,521 posts
The Engine Shop
32,460 threads; 255,065 post
Driveline
8,796 threads; 65,970 posts
The Electrical Bay
9,505 threads; 74,285 posts
Sub: The Radio Bench
The HiPo Shop
5,040 threads; 46,029 posts
Paint & Body Shop
12,505 threads; 81,120 posts
Sub: The Doors
Interiors
4,059 threads; 26,817 posts
The Tool Chest
1,762 threads; 26,817 posts
Making a Stovebolt Bed
1,052 threads; 6,659 posts
Searching the Site

Get info about how to search the entire Stovebolt site here. To do a search for just the forums, get those details in the IT Shortbus fourm.
Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 68 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics128,612
Posts1,041,914
Members46,061
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1461422 Fri Aug 05 2022 02:31 AM
R
Redbird Offline OP
'Bolter
I just had the generator rebuilt for piece of mind. Do you need to polarize it?

I just purchased my 1953 Chevy 3100 three weeks ago. So far I know it has a 235 ci six-cyl out of a 54 passenger car, converted to 12v, not sure when painted, Coker bias-plys, 3 on the tree, nice interior, no radio, guessing 4.11 rear. Had a lube job, drained trans & rear. Added new fluids. Replacing VC gasket/ Old one fell apart in a dozen pieces, hence oil leaking. Does not smoke. Will drain coolant system & replace thermostat. Ordered an Assembly manual. Have a 48-53 truck shop manual. Will replace plugs & wires. Had generator rebuilt.
'Bolter
Wouldn’t be a bad idea and causes no harm
Momentarily connect the armature to battery positive (assuming it’s a negative ground system)
One second of contact is enough
It’s gonna spark

If it’s a positive ground system then the armature gets a blast of negative
-s

G
'Bolter
Redbird,

After looking at some of your other posts, you seemed to previously indicate that your truck is currently running a 12 volt battery system.

When you had the "generator" rebuilt, did the rebuilder know you are running 12 volts and not 6 volts?

As others have noted, your '53 was originally a 6 volt system when new, but appears may have been modified to 12 volts (not uncommon) at some point afterwards.

You may want to confirm your generator is a 12 volt unit before going too much farther.

Dan

Dan

1951 Chevy 3 window 3100 (My Grandpa's hunting truck)
1966 Chevelle

US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998)
Commercial Facilities Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)

Finely time to get Grandpa's truck back in the sunshine!
'Bolter
Well 12 or 6 volts will polarize the system properly
If the polarity is correct
After that yeah all bets are off if the regulator and generator are not Matched to the battery smile

H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Just wire it open- - - - -it's probably not needed anyway.
Jerry

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Kris Kristofferson

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.
Ernest Hemingway

WAG MORE- - - - - -BARK LESS!
R
Redbird Offline OP
'Bolter
Wire it open?????

I just purchased my 1953 Chevy 3100 three weeks ago. So far I know it has a 235 ci six-cyl out of a 54 passenger car, converted to 12v, not sure when painted, Coker bias-plys, 3 on the tree, nice interior, no radio, guessing 4.11 rear. Had a lube job, drained trans & rear. Added new fluids. Replacing VC gasket/ Old one fell apart in a dozen pieces, hence oil leaking. Does not smoke. Will drain coolant system & replace thermostat. Ordered an Assembly manual. Have a 48-53 truck shop manual. Will replace plugs & wires. Had generator rebuilt.
H
It works for heat riser valves, right?
Jerry

Kris Kristofferson

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.
Ernest Hemingway

R
Redbird Offline OP
'Bolter
Hey Jerry. I think you meant to answer my other thread. This one was on polarizing my generator.

H
I'm just applying your logic on disabling components that engineers spent millions of dollars developing. If it works on heat risers, why not generators? I spent 30+ years teaching automotive subjects at the high school and junior college level. Your heat riser opinion doesn't make good nonsense. You've already gotten the correct advice on polarizing the generator. Do it.
Jerry

Kris Kristofferson

Ernest Hemingway

Moderated by  Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop