The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search
Keep your restoration going

Keeping your resto going

A good bit of advice nestled in the FAQ page.
Don't

Irwin Arnstein working on his
1959 Chevy 1-Ton

Read the article.

Searching the Site

Get info about how to search the entire Stovebolt site here. To do a search for just the forums, get those details in the IT Shortbus fourm.
Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
1 members (tom moore), 86 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics128,524
Posts1,041,226
Members46,037
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
J
jmmmn37 Offline OP
'Bolter
Suburbanites,

A couple weeks ago I posted a thread about finishing up my 1951 Suburban. I am currently working on a solution for the rear floor area and have followed closely the discussion about Battleship Linoleum, as well as several other threads that cover this topic that have been posted in this forum over the years. My original floor was there when I got the truck, but it was very badly checked and flaking off, so I had to remove it down to the plywood. I wanted to get something done on the floor for a couple of upcoming shows, so I explored a lot of alternatives and found a product called G-FLoor at my local Menards (and later on line). This is a vinyl product that is the right thickness, comes in a couple configurations, in three colors, in a 5' x 10' roll (which is a perfect size for fitting to the Suburban), and is relatively inexpensive (I paid about $140 delivered to my house via my local Menards store, who only carried the product in the store in black). I chose the ribbed pattern which has raised ribs every 1/2" or 5/8" (instead of indents like the original floor). The stuff is designed for garage floors and similar applications. It can be glued, but I decided to cut it to fit and let it lie on the floor, with only some double-sided tape at front and rear to secure it.

I'm very satisfied with the results. It lies pretty flat, cuts fairly easily, and the tan color that I chose blends in very nicely with the original color of the Suburban interior as sold by Jim Carter (they don't make a maroon color like the original linoleum). The only downside that I could detect is the fact that the product shrinks and expands slightly (about 1/8") with weather changes (a fact that the manufacturer mentions in their installation instructions); so when it gets hot in the rear compartment, a few small ripples develop--nothing too serious or unsightly, and it lies flat again when the weather cools off (I suppose one could trim it sllghtly smaller if you wanted to avoid the small buckling in the heat).

To install, I made a paper template with all the locations of the seat mounts and body mounting washers, etc., then traced those on the back of the G-Floor and then cut them in with a sharp utility knife and snips, a bit smaller than the actual outline. After laying the piece in the Suburban, I trimmed up to the correct edges with a sharp utility knife and worked it in so that it fits pretty nicely.

It's not a perfect solution, but as I said, it's relatively cheap, looks good, and will serve the purpose until I find something better; and perhaps best of all, it can be easily removed if I want to do something else.

I attach a couple of pics to illustrate how it now looks in the Suburban.

Best wishes,

Jim

Attached Images
IMG_20220727_101035289.jpg (78.34 KB, 110 downloads)
IMG_20220728_080412793.jpg (171.23 KB, 109 downloads)
IMG_20220728_080427157_MP.jpg (176.81 KB, 109 downloads)
B
'Bolter
Jim:
Looks good, nice work!

Regards, Mark

1958 GMC Suburban Carryall
In the Stovebolt Gallery

Never accept a drink from a urologist!
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Jim,

Can you post a link to that product at Menards?
(or a product number/code)

You have done a beautiful job with your Suburban's rear floor cover.

Thanks for that good lead.

Tim

Tim
1954Advance-Design.com [1954advance-design.com]
1954 3106 Carryall Suburban [stovebolt.com] - part of the family for 49 years
1954 3104 5-window pickup w/Hydra-Matic [1954advance-design.com] - part of the family for 15 years
- If you have to stomp on your foot-pedal starter, either you, or your starter, or your engine, has a problem.
- The 216 and early 235 engines are not "splash oilers" - this is a splash oiler. [chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com]
J
jmmmn37 Offline OP
'Bolter
Tim,

Here's a link to the G-Floor at Menards. This one shows the charcoal color and a larger size--other colors are available, as well as other sizes. If you google G-Floor, you can see the company's site; it offers all the options, but interestingly enough, it was actually cheaper for me to go into my Menards store and request a special order--which Menards then shipped to my door for no extra charge!

https://www.menards.com/main/floori...4.htm?tid=7634428526253078966&ipos=5

J
Workshop Owner
Great color, it goes well with the rest. Nice job. thumbs_up

John

J Lucas

1941 Chevy 1/2-Ton
1942 Chevy 1.5-Ton SWB
1959 Chevy Apache 31 Fleetside
1959 Chevy Apache 32 Fleetside
1969 Chevy C-50 Grain Truck

My Flicker Photos! [flickr.com]

T
'Bolter
thumbs_up Good idea and recommendation. (might be worth using a scrap piece and applying a vinyl dye to test color change for those who are into accuracy). Looks good to me.

Last edited by tom moore; Tue Aug 09 2022 12:17 PM.
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Thanks for the Menards lead.
Their closest store is far away from me.

But, I might have to buy from them, if my potential closer-source (big boat restorer/repairer (70 miles away) cannot make a match to my floor.

I found an original piece of of my rear floor material. The restorer says he can match anything. I'll report back after putting my job to the restorer (soon, I hope).

Tim
1954 3104 5-window pickup w/Hydra-Matic [1954advance-design.com] - part of the family for 15 years
- If you have to stomp on your foot-pedal starter, either you, or your starter, or your engine, has a problem.
- The 216 and early 235 engines are not "splash oilers" - this is a splash oiler. [chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com]
G
'Bolter
Tim,

If it helps at all, same product is available through either Lowe's or Home Depot (see links below):

https://www.lowes.com/pd/G-Floor-Rib-7-1-2-ft-x-17-ft-Sandstone-Garage-Floor-Roll/1000602259

https://www.homedepot.com/p/G-Floor...over-and-Protector-GF55RB717SN/203450702

Prices are comparable to Menards and like Menards, product is order for delivery/pick-up at store or can be shipped to you.

All three sources offer this in the sandstone, black and gray colors. There are also smaller sizes (5'x10') available at much lower costs.

Dan wave

Dan

1951 Chevy 3 window 3100 (My Grandpa's hunting truck)
1966 Chevelle

US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998)
Commercial Facilities Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)

Finely time to get Grandpa's truck back in the sunshine!
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Thanks, Dan

I might go with that "PVC Garage Flooring Roll" as a last resort.

I am looking for ribbed linoleum (as originally installed).

I think that I might have two sources, but I will not post them until I check out their products/materials.

Tim
G
'Bolter
Most welcome Tim.

Understood on your desire to seek a more original product.

Main reason I was looking at this thread was one of my brothers has the remnants of a '58 1/2t panel that was converted into an enclosed cargo trailer decades ago. He is looking for something like this to recover the floor with.

As he plans on permanently parking this (placing on blocks), he is graciously letting me scavenge the "open" drive rear end to be used in my '51 T5 upgrade conversion. yahoo

Would be interested to hear how your potential products check out.

Thanks, Dan

Dan

1951 Chevy 3 window 3100 (My Grandpa's hunting truck)
1966 Chevelle

US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998)
Commercial Facilities Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)

Finely time to get Grandpa's truck back in the sunshine!

Moderated by  MNSmith, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop