The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search
Keep your restoration going

Keeping your resto going

A good bit of advice nestled in the FAQ page.
Don't

Irwin Arnstein working on his
1959 Chevy 1-Ton

Read the article.

Searching the Site

Get info about how to search the entire Stovebolt site here. To do a search for just the forums, get those details in the IT Shortbus fourm.
Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 83 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics128,524
Posts1,041,226
Members46,037
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1460711 Sat Jul 30 2022 02:34 AM
T
'Bolter
I'm new here as of today... I just picked up a nice 1950 3600 the other day. I'm still looking it over. I can't identify the heater, looking all over the internet and I can't even find a photo of one similar, I'm pretty sure it's stock, everything else on the truck complete and there is no mods other than a funky rear bumper. What do I have? What's missing? What do I need to make it work, or should I pull it and put in different stock unit?? Ideas?

Attached Images
heater008.jpg (149.21 KB, 88 downloads)
heater007.jpg (120.41 KB, 89 downloads)
heater006.jpg (143.5 KB, 90 downloads)
heater005.jpg (153.54 KB, 90 downloads)
heater003.jpg (67.86 KB, 90 downloads)
Red dot, center of chest ...
Heaters are pretty simple. They have a core, which is like a small radiator, a motor to move the air, and an inlet and outlet pipe (part of the heater core) that go through the firewall and connect to the motor through rubber hoses. You can take it apart, clean it up, pressure test the core and get it resealed if it leaks, replace the blower motor if it's bad, with something that fits. If you want to stay stock, that's the way to go.

Others can chime in here, but I'm pretty sure that trucks of that year did not come from the factory with heaters installed. That was done by the dealer or an aftermarket supplier.

Paul Schmehl CI 6
geek@stovebolt.com
Stovebolt Staff: Geek
G
'Bolter
TewacaRanch,

First off, WELCOME wave

When you get a chance, introduce yourself in the "Welcome Centre" forum. Tell everyone a little about yourself and your truck. Post pictures once you figure out how (see how to guide link in lower left margin of each forum).

As to your question, a little quick search seems to indicate this is a Post WWII era (1946-48 or thereabouts) heater. Some had external fans with defrost ability and others like yours only have an internal fan - no defrost set-up. These were used in both trucks and cars.

These were accessory only as heaters were not yet standard equipment from the factory.

Looking forward to seeing/hearing more from you in the various forums.

Dan

1951 Chevy 3 window 3100 (My Grandpa's hunting truck)
1966 Chevelle

US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998)
Commercial Facilities Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)

Finely time to get Grandpa's truck back in the sunshine!
T
'Bolter
Thanks for your responses, guys. I'll get to the Welcome Centre forum for a post in the next few days. This is a west TX desert truck, not much need for heat I guess, maybe someone added it after a while scabbing it out of a car. I think I'll source an appropriate used heater box w/ controls and put in a new core and some hoses to the defrosters.

Moderated by  klhansen, ndkid275, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop