The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
E V E N T Highlight

Southern
"STOVEBOLT"
Jamboree 2022
July 8 and 9
Lebanon TN

The Southern Bolters are planning their area get together in
conjunction with the
Southeast Truck Nationals at Cedars of Lebanon State Park (TN)

Check out the details, with new info on the Southern Bolters forum.

Plenty of other events in the Side Lot

Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
6 members (3800GUY, LAROKE, Hambone, Darling, WE b OLD, Pat66), 82 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics127,986
Posts1,036,244
Members45,906
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 33 of 33 1 2 31 32 33
MNSmith Offline OP
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
In the booth.

Attached Images
1952suburban620.jpg (80.7 KB, 102 downloads)
1952suburban621.jpg (74.35 KB, 102 downloads)
1952suburban622.jpg (79.74 KB, 103 downloads)
MNSmith Offline OP
Okay. Item one. Take inventory of my supplies. I know I want to stock up on some 3M Stikit sandpaper. I had been using Porter Cable sticky sanding rolls, but they are for the wrong application and make a mess of my blocks. I also want to find a better sanding block. I've been looking at Lucky Matt's and Linear Blocks. Linear has the 32" flex block on back order, but a 44" for the same price. If 44" is too long, I can always cut it down. I think I only need a long block for my big panels. I can true my Dura Blocks for some of the smaller areas. Otherwise, I think I have enough prepaint degreaser. And plenty of lint free rags. I still have plenty of 3M Platinum filler, which I hope I won't need any of. I also have about a gallon of epoxy primer hanging around in quart cans.

For a small moment, I thought I would short cut things, but I won't. All the glass will be coming out, doors and fenders removed. It's tough because of all the time you spend making things fit. But, there are tricks that can be utilized to put the doors right back where you pulled them from. All the basic stuff was done long ago, like rebuilding the hinges, so there is no worry about putting the door back and it not being where I want them to be. Any rubber that won't cooperate will be replaced by Steele Rubber. Most of the stuff on the truck is still pliable.

Some of the worries I need to figure out? Where to put the doors and fenders and such while I'm doing the main body. Where to put the '40 when I roll the body out and start working on the doors, fenders and such. Things like that.

Well, off I go. Wish me luck!

Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Sounds like you've got a good plan, Mark. I'll have the same issue with where to put stuff as I get it painted.

I agree that removing doors, etc. is the way to get a quality paint job. Trying to get paint in to nooks and crannies is a recipe for runs. With everything out in the open, it'll go better from that standpoint.

Good Luck.

Kevin
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos [flickr.com]
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
Busting rust since the mid-60's
MNSmith Offline OP
Thanks! Good luck to you, too!

MNSmith Offline OP
I was applying some degreaser to the roof. I really don't want to start sanding until the proper materials show up, so I do some of the little things until that happens. While applying and wiping off the degreaser, I kept bumping my head on the "paint booth" and dodging the 8' fluorescents. So, to temporarily remedy that, I find some 4"-6" wood blocks and "raise the roof" a little bit. That should make a difference. I also figured out where to put the main body after I paint it, so I have the booth for doors, hood and fenders. My driveway will be a little bit of a Jenga, but it should work. Again, it's only temporary. I think I will get me a few more 2' ladders for making a temporary scaffold. It seems to be the cheapest option. That and a couple of 2x10's will facilitate painting the main body roof and sides. That stuff I can wait a little bit to acquire.

This is gonna be fun!

MNSmith Offline OP
No blocks. Blocks.

Woke up at 3 am. So I went out and threw those blocks in. Better than putting in a full shift in the heat, then coming home and doing more in the heat. Besides, it's nice and quiet. It's also my favorite time to sand. ANYWAY, talk about a difference. The pictures don't show it that well, but 6" of block is going to make a BIG difference.

And more good news. Shelterlogic agreed that my tarp should be replaced under warranty. Waiting for it won't stop me from sanding. It will be more important when it comes time to paint!

Attached Images
1952suburban623.jpg (67.62 KB, 66 downloads)
1952suburban624.jpg (70.4 KB, 65 downloads)
MNSmith Offline OP
Started with some 180 grit and a long block. That black primer IS epoxy but it has been in the sun way too long. Spent about 10 minutes on it as I wanted to see if I could get away with ladders, or if it would be good to set up the scaffolding now. I’ll stick with the ladders a little longer. You can already see a lot of the high and low points revealing themselves.

Attached Images
MNSmith Offline OP
I’m happy with the work on the roof I did all those years ago. I think I have to address issues with the drivers rear lead joint, but the rest of the roof should get there with a few rounds of high build and block sanding. I’m really happy with the crown on both sides. That’s the part that will get looked at a lot as the the sun will hit it, it is a big panel and is at or just above eyeball height. That is one thing that used to bug me about a mid 60’s Suburban I used to see at a car show I attended for a few years. The body looked great, but it looked like they chose to ignore the roof! It looked like years of digging bars leaned against that crown and all they did was sand and paint it. Anyway…

I have some mechanical issues I need to deal with. Time to get the scaffold parts. I might be ready to spray primer tomorrow morning! I also have an air leak. I have a hose that runs 80’ from my compressor, around the house, and to my work area. I try to keep the hose tucked next to the wall, but it moves away and is then stepped on. It starts to leak and fail in that area. I might get some heavy wall copper for that area.

Work will continue until the heat makes it unbearable. But I think it’s breakfast/lunch time with the wife. We do this every Friday that we can!

Attached Images
MNSmith Offline OP
Good news. The new Shelterlogic cover showed up today.

And, a poor man’s scaffold.

Attached Images
MNSmith Offline OP
Ok. Spent the morning installing the Shelterlogic cover and repaired the air leak. Now, maybe, just maybe, I can get back to actually working on the Suburban. It's always all those little 5 minute jobs!!

Attached Images
1952suburban629.jpg (81.48 KB, 7 downloads)
Page 33 of 33 1 2 31 32 33

Moderated by  HandyAndy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop