The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search
What's going on?
What's happening?

Find out in
THE SHOPS !

Genearl Truck Talk
20,267 threads; 177,521 posts
The Engine Shop
32,460 threads; 255,065 post
Driveline
8,796 threads; 65,970 posts
The Electrical Bay
9,505 threads; 74,285 posts
Sub: The Radio Bench
The HiPo Shop
5,040 threads; 46,029 posts
Paint & Body Shop
12,505 threads; 81,120 posts
Sub: The Doors
Interiors
4,059 threads; 26,817 posts
The Tool Chest
1,762 threads; 26,817 posts
Making a Stovebolt Bed
1,052 threads; 6,659 posts
Searching the Site

Get info about how to search the entire Stovebolt site here. To do a search for just the forums, get those details in the IT Shortbus fourm.
Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
11 members (jameschevypu50, Hanks custodian, DennisM, DannyW, Frank50, Cosmo, 1 invisible), 117 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics128,597
Posts1,041,772
Members46,055
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1455722 Mon Jun 20 2022 04:21 PM
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
A thread that's currently discussing converting a torque tube system to an open driveline got my buddy Rube Goldberg to start whispering in my ear. "I know the voices in my head aren't real, but boy, do they come up with some good ideas!" Has anyone ever thought about using the pivot ball from a torque tube and a commonly available output shaft from something like a Turbo 350 transmission to cobble up an adapter to avoid having to replace the transmission when making a swap to an open driveline? I believe I can do that, if someone is willing to donate a pivot ball, and its attaching hardware, and a U joint assembly from a 3 speed torque tube trans for me to tinker with. I've got a couple of torque tube transmissions in my parts stash, but I don't think I have a corresponding pivot ball and U joint on hand. Ths basic idea would be to lock the pivot in a straight line behind the trans, add a bushing and seal for an open driveline slip yoke, and fabricate a stub shaft to extend the transmission output a few inches and mate it to a commonly available slip yoke.

Comments?
Jerry

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Kris Kristofferson

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.
Ernest Hemingway

WAG MORE- - - - - -BARK LESS!
J
'Bolter
Well...Patrick Dykes did that for the 4 speed Saginaw, but his vision maintained the pivoting ball and the torque tube rear end. Is that what you're talking about doing? I visited him to discuss the rear end work he was doing in the early to mid 90s and at that time he had a machinist in or around Phoenix working on the prototype and by the time I saw Patrick again (maybe 1997) it was done and it seemed to work fine. It just replaced the Saginaw tail section and put the ball pivoting right at the end. I drove the first truck he had installed it in (with 3.55 rear gears).

Jon

1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235
T5 with 3.07 rear end
H
No, this one would lock the pivot ball inline with the transmission output shaft, eliminate the internal U joint, and replace it with a stub shaft and a sliding slip yoke and seal like an open driveline trans would have. This would avoid the necessity to replace the transmission when converting to an open driveline rear axle. Once the pivot ball is aligned straight with the output shaft, I'll probably weld or bolt it to the retaining collar to maintain the alignment. The SM-420 can be configured for either torque tube or open driveline by swapping the rear bearing retainer, so this would only apply to 3 speed torque tube transmissions.
Jerry

Kris Kristofferson

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.
Ernest Hemingway

J
'Bolter
Thanks Jerry,
I sort of thought that's what you were thinking, but wanted to be certain. The seal would be important for the old 3 speeds, but I believe it could be done.

Jon

1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235
T5 with 3.07 rear end
F
'Bolter
I have a 46 chevy 1/2 up in my bone yard, is that something that would work? I'll see what I have and let you know.

1936 GMC T-14 restro-mod
FAST55 #1455884 Tue Jun 21 2022 08:05 PM
H
Originally Posted by FAST55
I have a 46 chevy 1/2 up in my bone yard, is that something that would work? I'll see what I have and let you know.

I think so. The torque tube truck 3 speeds I have are the later models (48-up, IIRC) that have a different bell housing bolt pattern, but I think the ball assembly at the back end might be the same. Not sure about the U joint. I'd need the sliding pivot ball that mates the torque tube with the transmission, and the stamped sheet metal housing that secures it to the back of the trans case. Thanks!
Jerry

Kris Kristofferson

Ernest Hemingway

F
'Bolter
Jerry, I went and looked at the 46 and all that is there is the bell and I can see the splined shaft down in the tube. If that's something you can use I can cut it off and send it to you. Let me know as I will be gone for the next couple of weeks returning the 10th of July.

1936 GMC T-14 restro-mod
H
There's probably no need to do any cutting- - - -loosen the knurled nut at the back end of the bell and it should slide off the end of the torque tube with a little persuasion- - - -maybe a big pair of channel locks or a pipe wrench. There's also a collar that holds the bell to the back of the transmission with several bolts, if it's handy to get to. No hurry on getting to it, as I've got several other projects ahead of anyting I might do on this one, including attending the show in middle Tennessee July 8/9. PM me with cost and shipping to zip 38453, at your convenience!
Thanks!
Jerry

Kris Kristofferson

Ernest Hemingway

F
'Bolter
I'll go up and look at it again and see if I can get it off. The trans is missing so the other pieces are missing. I try and post a picture in a couple of days

1936 GMC T-14 restro-mod
H
The collar can't be removed without taking the ball off the end of the torque tube. It's probably slid back on the tube. Let's take this one to PM or email at your convenience. I believe my email address is in my profile.
Jerry

Kris Kristofferson

Ernest Hemingway

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop