The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search
What's going on?
What's happening?

Find out in
THE SHOPS !

Genearl Truck Talk
20,267 threads; 177,521 posts
The Engine Shop
32,460 threads; 255,065 post
Driveline
8,796 threads; 65,970 posts
The Electrical Bay
9,505 threads; 74,285 posts
Sub: The Radio Bench
The HiPo Shop
5,040 threads; 46,029 posts
Paint & Body Shop
12,505 threads; 81,120 posts
Sub: The Doors
Interiors
4,059 threads; 26,817 posts
The Tool Chest
1,762 threads; 26,817 posts
Making a Stovebolt Bed
1,052 threads; 6,659 posts
Searching the Site

Get info about how to search the entire Stovebolt site here. To do a search for just the forums, get those details in the IT Shortbus fourm.
Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
12 members (32vsnake, 59 fleet, Flatblu4748, Atticusnine, Jethro in Va, aircommando462), 100 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics128,581
Posts1,041,643
Members46,050
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1455762 Mon Jun 20 2022 08:24 PM
Grease Monkey, Moderator General Truck Talk & Greasy Spoon
My 12yo grandson was gifted his Maternal Grandfather’s 1984 Chevy 1/2 ton. It has the 250 I-6 with every smog device known to man. Miles of vacuum tubing, pumps and wiring. It has not run in many years and he has no intention of trying to make it run. It has the 4 speed on the floor.
His Maternal Uncle gave him a running V-6 out of a early S10 and he and my son Terry B (truck in the original gallery) intend to remove the I-6 and replace it with the V-6. I have no experience in the later engines at all.
My question is: What exactly are they up against as far as a direct bolt in, plug and play swap? Motor mounts, bell housing, clutch and pressure plate swap without modifications? Will the original transmission work? If it were up to me I would install a SBC and call it good but it’s not up to me. So school me on the process. Thanks

Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne 4dr 230 I-6 one owner (I’m #2) “Emily”
‘39 Dodge Businessmans Coupe “Clarence”

"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

C
'Bolter
If it is a 4.3 V6 it is a simple swap as bell housing is the same as are the motor mounts, stands will need moved. Chevy didn't go to throttle body till 1986 so get a carb for the V6 and it's an easy swap. NOT so if it is a 60* V6. Used to do a lot when the lousy integrated I6 heads would crack. If it is a 4.3 with an automatic the trans will be a 700R4 overdrive so don't let it go cheap.

Last edited by coilover; Mon Jun 20 2022 09:14 PM.

Evan
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
"An early S-10"- - - - -the first few of them had a 2.8 liter V6 with an oddball carburetor and a distributor with a vacuum advance. That one would be a nightmare to swap, as the bellhousing bolt pattern and a lot of other stuff won't be compatible with the running gear mated to the 250 I6. A 4.3 with a carburetor would be a lot simpler. If the throttle body fuel injection is involved, the electronics are going to get pretty hairy because of all the sensors needed, the computer, and the fuel tank mounted high pressure fuel pump. Mercruiser made a 4 barrel intake for a 4.3 that ran a Quadrajet, and a non-computerized HEI distributor with only centrifugal advance, I believe.
Jerry

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Kris Kristofferson

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.
Ernest Hemingway

WAG MORE- - - - - -BARK LESS!
"MONGO"
If the 250 is in the truck and loose it could be a pretty good runner. I just removed all the smog stuff on the 292 in the 65 I bought from Don King last Stovebolt reunion. I removed the Octopus of little lines that go in the top of the head and plugged them all with Brass plugs, Plugged up the rest of the smog stuff on the engine and rebuilt the carb and it's a strong runner.
Like other's said if the S truck V6 is a 4.3 it's basically the same as installing a small block just minus 2 cylinders. If the V6 is the smaller one's he'd be better off keeping the 250. And the stock 4 speed in the truck should bolt right up the a 4.3.
Mongo

Mongo's Garage [mongosgarage.com]
Vintage GM Truck's & Parts
Grease Monkey, Moderator General Truck Talk & Greasy Spoon
The engine is a 4.3 from a 1991 S10. The S10 owner is heavy into Autocross and is putting a LS in the S10 thus the availability of the 4.3. The computer and all the wiring come with the engine.

Last edited by Justhorsenround; Tue Jun 21 2022 12:35 AM. Reason: Added background info

Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne 4dr 230 I-6 one owner (I’m #2) “Emily”
‘39 Dodge Businessmans Coupe “Clarence”

"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

H
I's reccomend losing the TBI injection and the electronic spark advance distributor, and put a carburetor and a vacuum advance HEI on it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/165522595172?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/164612799479?

Jerry

Kris Kristofferson

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.
Ernest Hemingway

T
'Bolter
Thank you so much for the advice. We are going to do a full casket replacement on the motor before it goes in as it was leaking a little oil. The motor runs strong and sounded great before it was pulled last week. We even have the 4L60E transmission that was in the S10. Really would like to keep it a manual for now, so it is good to hear the bell housings are the same. Will have to purchase new motor mounts as the one on the 4.3 had fully gone past the expiration date. The rubber fell out as we lifted it out of the frame. Any advise will be gladly accepted. As Justhorsenround said would love to just drop a SBC into it but can't beat getting a free running motor.

T
'Bolter
Here is a pic of his truck we will be building up. All of the trash from the back has now been removed and the truck has been transported to our home so we can work on it here together.

Attached Images
20180720_190004.jpg (282.38 KB, 122 downloads)
H
Yep- - - -trash the electronics and make it a "dumb" engine. The I6 flywheel and clutch should bolt right on, I believe. I don't remember if the 4.3 is an internally balanced engine or not, but I believe it is. Check the harmonic balancer and the transmission flex plate to see if there's any kind of offset balance weights.

OK- - - -just did a little research- - - -the same flywheel that fits a 250 I6 also bolts onto a 4.3- - - -and a bunch of small block V8's- - -305, 350, etc. Just swap the standard shift parts onto the 4.3 and bolt it in.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/265226751995?

Jerry

Kris Kristofferson

Ernest Hemingway

Unrepentant VW Lover
I'd leave the mattresses. It's a bed, isn't it??

John
Cisgendered heteronormative aggressor perpetrating problematic toxic ideas of Chevrolet normativity smile

'49 Chevrolet 3804

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Justhorsenround, KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop