The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
E V E N T Highlight

Southern
"STOVEBOLT"
Jamboree 2022
July 8 and 9
Lebanon TN

The Southern Bolters are planning their area get together in
conjunction with the
Southeast Truck Nationals at Cedars of Lebanon State Park (TN)

Check out the details, with new info on the Southern Bolters forum.

Plenty of other events in the Side Lot

Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
12 members (coilover, Just Mark, EdPruss, CrowbarBob, DaveV, 1 invisible), 98 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics127,986
Posts1,036,247
Members45,906
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1454274 Tue Jun 07 2022 01:59 AM
K
Moderated
I inherited my brother's 1962 c10 several years ago. It has been sitting for most of that time after the head gasket blew driving it from California to Tennessee. Most of my experience with engines is with small 4 poppers from a couple MG's I played around with 30+ years ago. My brother had the engine rebuilt, but I don't trust it, plus there is surface rust in the cylinders. what is the maximum safe cylinder overbore for the 235 ci engine?

H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
60 over is no problem, and most 235 engines can handle 80 if the water jacket core is thick enough and not off center. Be sure to have a good radiator with a big overbore- - - -the engine will be a little hard to keep cool if it's worked hard. 235's are not that scarce- - - -I'd suggest finding a better candidate to rebuild if you don't trust the one you've got. Engine blocks from mid-1955 to 62, cars and trucks, will interchange without a problem. You're located close to a very good machine shop, assuming "Clarksville" is the one in Tennessee. Simpkins auto machine in Greenbrier is one of the best shops I know of, and I've been building engines for 60-something years.
Jerry

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Kris Kristofferson

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!

WAG MORE- - - - - -BARK LESS!
K
Moderated
Thanks Jerry,

Yes I live in Clarksville, I will give your guy in Greenbrier a shout. I'm not sure what the bore is yet. I gust pulled the engine out and had the head rebuilt. It turned freely after I pulled the head and put a wrench on the crank pully, but there is rust on the cylinder walls. Since I'm putting new sheet metal and it and painting, and I don't trust the work my brother had done, I'm going to rebuild from the bottom up. I'm excited about the project. It's what he wanted for his truck and it was his baby.

Keith Wells

K
Moderated
R.E. your info about cooling, I found a low-profile fan clutch and I am having a fan shroud made up as well as a new, more efficient radiator installed. overheating is what caused the head gasket problem. It ran fine on the flat, but hills made it heat up.

Keith Wells

H
Don't dispose of the old engine- - - - -I collect them, regardless of condition. My bored and stroked 235's come out to around 270 cubic inches. I'm down near the I-65/Alabama state line. Unless there are deep pits in the cylinder walls, a button hone will clean up the surface rust, followed by a good scrubbing with HOT water, laundry detergent, and a stiff bristle scrib brush to get rid of the abrasive residue. Be sure your shroud only covers half the depth of the fan blades, as fully enclosing the fan actually reduces airflow.
Jerry

Kris Kristofferson

H
I lied a little- - - -Simpkins is in Springfield, not Greenbrier! Sorry 'bout that!
Jerry

Kris Kristofferson

Moderated by  Hambone 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop