The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search
Getting back to business
First round of holidays is about over. A few weeks before the next ones. For some of us...

Winter is Coming
Time to think about wintering your Bolt.
(continued)

A good Tech Tip
WINTERIZING YOUR TRUCK
including a link back to the Forums for some new thoughts.

Searching the Site

Get info about how to search the entire Stovebolt site here. To do a search for just the forums, get those details in the IT Shortbus fourm.
Old Truck Calendars
In the works
Nothing like an old truck calendar

2023 Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
11 members (buoymaker, Gray_Ghost, GMCJammer51, carbking, Brando4905, 1 invisible), 204 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics127,670
Posts1,046,519
Members46,401
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1455007 Mon Jun 13 2022 12:37 PM
'Bolter
I have just purchased one of the old self cancelling blinker controls that has the rubber wheel. I would like to know how well they work. I am going to use it even if that part doesn't work for me because it is such a cool looking old part.

Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
I have one of those, but I haven't tried to make it work. They depend on good traction between the rubber wheel and the steering wheel hub. Likely the rubber has turned rock hard and won't get good traction. If you can find some way to freshen up the rubber it should work. Maybe a large fat o-ring to replace the "tire" on the wheel.

Kevin
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos [flickr.com]
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
Busting rust since the mid-60's
J
J M Offline
'Bolter
I remember more of them not working then working even when they were new. It was probably more of a sales premotion then anything else.
Jim

B
Sir Searchalot
I'm just installing one on a Willys truck. They are Sparton. They adjust in and out, and of course you slide the unit up and down the column to get just the right contact with wheel hub. They work nice. Had a hard time finding a 6/7 wire. Most are 4.

W
'Bolter
I have used them through the years & they work pretty slick. It seems they cancel too quick with just a small movement of the steering wheel.

George

They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.

1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
C
'Bolter
No sense messing with an outdated design. If 12v do a search for self cancelling ELECTRONIC turn signal. About $70 0n Amazon and ebay or ten bucks off a junked Kawasaki motor cycle. We make up a stem to mount on column in normal position or you can use a right and left momentary switch button (like a motorcycle).

Evan
B
Sir Searchalot
I've looked at the Signal Dynamics style units before and having to rig up buttons. Even for me, who is not exactly a purest, that is way too far off and funky for an old truck. I would rather try to remember to place lever back to middle or use the wheel type. When you are driving an old truck you tend to remember it.

B
Curmudgeon
I had used one I installed on a 50 1/2 ton. I didn't expect it to work but surprisingly it did.
I recall the rubber wheel needs to be uniform (no worn spots) and flexible.
I had more trouble with the old switch lubricant that had dried up.

"Adding CFM to a truck will only help at engine speeds you don't want to use."
"I found there was nothing to gain beyond 400 CFM."
'Bolter
I did have a hard time finding one with the wheel and 7 wires. The one that I bought is an old Allstate one. It is really cool looking. It has the Allstate logo over an outline of the United States.

O
'Bolter
Originally Posted by truckernix
I did have a hard time finding one with the wheel and 7 wires. The one that I bought is an old Allstate one. It is really cool looking. It has the Allstate logo over an outline of the United States.

Post a picture of it.

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom)
1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)
1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck)
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado (The Purple Knif)
1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red)
1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe
1979 Ford F-100
1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red)
1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop