The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search
What's going on?
What's happening?

Find out in
THE SHOPS !

Genearl Truck Talk
20,267 threads; 177,521 posts
The Engine Shop
32,460 threads; 255,065 post
Driveline
8,796 threads; 65,970 posts
The Electrical Bay
9,505 threads; 74,285 posts
Sub: The Radio Bench
The HiPo Shop
5,040 threads; 46,029 posts
Paint & Body Shop
12,505 threads; 81,120 posts
Sub: The Doors
Interiors
4,059 threads; 26,817 posts
The Tool Chest
1,762 threads; 26,817 posts
Making a Stovebolt Bed
1,052 threads; 6,659 posts
Searching the Site

Get info about how to search the entire Stovebolt site here. To do a search for just the forums, get those details in the IT Shortbus fourm.
Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
10 members (Just Mark, DaveV, buoymaker, Dusty53, jameschevypu50, 68ironhead), 119 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics128,597
Posts1,041,768
Members46,055
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 32 of 32 1 2 30 31 32
B
'Bolter
That looks good, Phil. I've not heard of that product before. I'll have to check it out.

Is that little gauge down low behind the steering column in your oil line? If so, I like that idea. I'm curious if you've seen a noticeable difference in your oil pressure (when the oil temp increases) due to the filter set up? I've heard that on hot days the oil pressure to the top end can get pretty low.

Brian

'51 Chevy 3604 Project
'28 Chevy LO basket case
'83 GMC Sierra 4x4
P
Phak1 Offline OP
AD Addict
Yes, it is a oil pressure gauge. The pressure pretty much matches the oil gauge in the dash. I haven’t noticed any appreciative difference since I installed the oil filter. Inside the center of the filter is a oil return pipe, with a 1/16” restrictive hole that keeps the oil pressure from dropping off.

I installed the oil pressure gauge when I was having issues with low oil pressure. It turned out the main bearings were all screwed up and after $2k and a total engine rebuild all is good.

Phil
Moderator, The Engine Shop & Interiors

1952 Chevrolet 3100
Project Journals
Stovebolt Gallery

‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters
“Three on the Tree” & 4:11 torque tube
12v w/ Alternator
P
Phak1 Offline OP
AD Addict
Originally Posted by Brian Wise
That looks good, Phil. I've not heard of that product before. I'll have to check it out.

You can get it in Ace Hardware or on Amazon.

Phil

1952 Chevrolet 3100
Project Journals
Stovebolt Gallery

12v w/ Alternator
P
Phak1 Offline OP
AD Addict
7/29/22: Today I took my truck to it’s mandatory NY State inspection, and get my headlights adjusted. It’s about a 15 miles each way, so she gets a little work out. Just after the owner finished the inspection (passed with no issues), he handed me the bill. I said that I also needed the headlights aligned. He told me he hasn’t performed an alignment since NY dropped the requirement and he no longer had the equipment. I know that in the past, I would just pulled the vehicle in front of a wall and was able to do a semi-quasi job. I checked the Shop Manual and the instructions said to park the truck 25’ away from the wall and with high beams on, center should be 3” lower than the center of the light itself. That is a problem for me, as I don’t have a flat spot anywhere in my driveway so I needed a different strategy.

My iPhone has an inclinometer built into it, so I thought I may be able to use that. I removed the headlight bulbs so I could span the bulb holder. The phone is not large enough to span the distance so I taped the phone to a combo square. I initially placed the square (with phone attached) on the floor as my floor is slanted toward the garage doors. Adding 90 degrees to that would theoretically give me perfectly parallel aim. Since the light beam needs to be 3” lower over 25’, I needed to figure out in degrees how much a 3” drop over 25’ was. Using an online calculator, it worked out to be .6 of a degree. Adjusting the light to show approximately 1/2 of a degree should get me in the ball park.

Adjusting side to side was even easier. I placed about a 6’ 2x4 across from one light to the other and again using my iPhone with a compass app, showed it as 136 degrees. All I had to do was adjust the individual lights to 136 degrees and they should be perfect (in theory anyway). Being that the adjustment screws are working off of three points, I needed to readjust a couple of times. Depending on how accurate the inclinometer is in the iPhone, will determine the results. I’m going to a local cruise-in tomorrow evening, so I’ll let you know the results!

Last edited by Phak1; Tue Aug 02 2022 01:06 AM.

Phil

1952 Chevrolet 3100
Project Journals
Stovebolt Gallery

12v w/ Alternator
Page 32 of 32 1 2 30 31 32

Moderated by  HandyAndy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop