The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search
Getting back to business
First round of holidays is about over. A few weeks before the next ones. For some of us...

Winter is Coming
Time to think about wintering your Bolt.
(continued)

A good Tech Tip
WINTERIZING YOUR TRUCK
including a link back to the Forums for some new thoughts.

Searching the Site

Get info about how to search the entire Stovebolt site here. To do a search for just the forums, get those details in the IT Shortbus fourm.
Old Truck Calendars
In the works
Nothing like an old truck calendar

2023 Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
16 members (55shaker, KEVINSKI, Donf, FAST55, Hotrod Lincoln, crenwelge), 200 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics127,667
Posts1,046,513
Members46,401
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1453033 Fri May 27 2022 09:06 PM
M
'Bolter
Today I blasted my exhaust manifold, coated it with Calyx, and removed a broken stud from it. Then I got ready to attach the intake manifold. The holes in my intake to exhaust gasket are about 5/16 inch too narrow to slide over the studs in the exhaust manifold. I had ordered a complete gasket set for my engine which, according to the numbers, is a 235 engine from a 1962. Chevy P10 truck. So, I have to assume that this manifold is probably from a different year and / or a different engine. I"d like to know, so that I can buy a single intake to exhaust gasket, since all of this stuff is cleaned up, coated, and ready to use. Can you guys tell me what my exhaust manifold is off of?

Mike Burns
1940 Chev 1/2 ton
1953 Chev 1/2 ton
1953 Ford Victoria
1950 Studebaker Starlight Coupe
J
'Bolter
Take some photos, Im sure you will get lots of good input.

It's easier to get forgiveness than permission!
1946 1/2-Ton Chevy [stovebolt.com]
1953 Chevy 3/4-ton Factory Stakebed [stovebolt.com]
M
'Bolter
OK

Mike Burns
1940 Chev 1/2 ton
1953 Chev 1/2 ton
1953 Ford Victoria
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
216 and 235 intake/exhaust assemblies have a different bolt spacing where the manifolds bolt together. It's possible you have either the wrong gasket, or maybe an incorrect intake and exhaust manifold assembly for your engine. The diameter of the intake ports are also different between a 216 and a 235. Do the studs and bolt holes on both manifolds align properly?
Jerry

"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!"
Abraham Lincoln

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.
Ernest Hemingway

WAG MORE- - - - - -BARK LESS!
M
'Bolter
Yes, my intake and exhaust bolts and studs mate up perfectly. The gasket just doesn't match. I would guess that my manifolds are probably not correct for my engine, even though I did take them off of this same engine. I checked another manifold set that I have here, and the gasket matches them. Of course they're still all crusty and covered in road cheese, so I was just hoping to use the ones that I made ready for use. I guess that I should determine which manifolds are best for my engine performance, and then use them. Can anyone tell me what to measure in order to determine that?

Mike Burns
1940 Chev 1/2 ton
1953 Chev 1/2 ton
1953 Ford Victoria
M
'Bolter
I checked my spare manifold set and it not only matches the gasket, but the intake ports are 1/8 inch bigger. So, It's probably more correct for my motor anyway. Just cost a days time is all.

Mike Burns
1940 Chev 1/2 ton
1953 Chev 1/2 ton
1953 Ford Victoria
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
OK- - - -good progress! The manifold assembly with the smaller intake port is for a 216 or a spray oiler 235, which also had smaller intake ports in the head. It can be used on a late model 235, with stepped-down alignment rings to mate it to the cylinder head, but high speed engine performance will suffer a little. 54-up 235's had bigger ports and manifolds matched to them. The spacing of the carburetor studs will also be wider on the 235 intake manifold.
Jerry

"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!"
Abraham Lincoln

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.
Ernest Hemingway

WAG MORE- - - - - -BARK LESS!
M
'Bolter
hi all, i am swapping out my 236 for a 350 v8 chevy small block into my 1954 3100. have a new crate engine and getting a rebuilt manual T5 shipped to me as we speak. installed a mustang IFS suspension along with powered rack & pinion steering. wondering what exhaust manifold would fit. would a standard manifold work? Before i buy something and it's in the way of something. by the way It's going to be a weekend driver no hot rod.

thanks

Last edited by moeman 59; Tue Jun 14 2022 09:15 PM.
B
Curmudgeon
Moeman I would post that question separately in the HiPo Shop section.

"Adding CFM to a truck will only help at engine speeds you don't want to use."
"I found there was nothing to gain beyond 400 CFM."

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop