The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Happy Birthday U S A !

Celebrating

Life, Liberty
and the
Persuit of Happiness

Happy Birthday
A M E R I C A

July 4 - 246 years

Stories, Pictures, Thoughts

Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
9 members (kades51, JW51, DaveV, Bill Trotter, D B Cooper, MPandC), 92 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics128,081
Posts1,037,105
Members45,928
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1452400 Sun May 22 2022 11:51 AM
D
Dasher Offline OP
'Bolter
I’m looking at installing nos flat tops in place of the dome top pistons currently in my 40 216 and then following that with a 53 216 head suitable for the flat top piston. Are the rings interchangeable between the 2 types of piston?

Hoping I have researched enough to know a later head can be used on an early 216 block if pistons are also changed, but just to be sure are there any issues that could arise or is there anything I should be looking out for?

Many thanks,
Dave

Dasher #1452406 Sun May 22 2022 02:14 PM
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Just be sure the ring grooves on the pistons you install match the thickness of the rings. A dial caliper is your friend here. Parts don't care where they fit, as long as the specifications are correct. I routinely mix and match parts from different manufacturers, such as using Ford 223 cubic inch pistons in a Chevy 235 to accommodate a change I make in the crankshaft stroke with a different wrist pin height on the piston. Be sure the sheet metal pushrod cover on the side of the engine is the same shape- - -some 216's used a short cover, while others had one that went all the way to the top of the cylinder head. As long as you order pistons and rings for the same year engine you should be good to go. Why do you want to swap? Maybe a bad cylinder head?
Jerry

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Kris Kristofferson

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!

WAG MORE- - - - - -BARK LESS!
Dasher #1452411 Sun May 22 2022 03:13 PM
D
Dasher Offline OP
'Bolter
Hi Jerry,
Yes the original cylinder head has faults - burnt valves + seats and wear to the manifold mating surface. Machining is obviously an option but I have this good later one which I think will be the more cost effective option.
Push rod cover is the same.
Unfortunately the nos flat top pistons come without rings but I have a set from dome tops hence my question.
Many thanks for the advice 👍

Moderated by  Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop