The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Remember old days

Remember
The old Bulletin Board?

click to enter

The old Bulletin Board has been removed from the server. And with recent "spring" cleaning, we are removing links back to it. The BB is still out in cyber space (to some extent) thanks to
The Wayback Machine.
Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
14 members (6571, 3B, Curt B., bolter5410, Biggin69, 58caddy), 102 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics128,093
Posts1,037,200
Members45,931
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
J
'Bolter
The article Jerry was talking about with the pushrod modification is on Pre68Dave’s blog:

http://chev235guy.blogspot.com/

View the desktop version of site and you should be able to find it.

If you can’t locate and adjust-out the noise….a couple other easy checks you could do before modifying pushrods or inspecting lifters.

1) Observe pushrods and see that they are all spinning roughly the same rate. A sharpie or paint mark on each one might help. If you find any that are not spinning or spinning at a much slower pace….good chance that pushrod slightly bent. That would make proper adjustment near impossible.

2) What is the condition of the rocker tips? I had to resurface mine because they were dimpled. You can unbolt the rocker shaft and take a look without too much fuss. Dimpled rocker tips make it tough/impossible to get a good adjustment.

Sound never translates well on video, but that strikes me as a one rocker/lifter making nearly all the noise rather than an entire valve train making noise.

H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
I'm currently in the process of building a stovebolt engine with hydraulic lifters for a MOPAR big block engine. That takes some pretty creative machining, since the lifter bores have to be sleeved to a slightly smaller diameter and honed for the correct sliding fit for the lifters. The 216 and early 235 engines need to have a lifter oil gallery gun-drilled the length of the block and a higher volume oil pump installed, also.
Jerry

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Kris Kristofferson

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!

WAG MORE- - - - - -BARK LESS!
G
Goach2 Offline OP
'Bolter
JW51 some rods spin fast and some don't at all. Could these just be too loose and too tight? Some felt like they were catching when I was spinning to adjust.

1948 Chevrolet Thriftmaster 3/4 Ton
There are only 10 types of people in this world, those who can read binary and those who can't.
J
'Bolter
Clarification - I meant the pushrods should rotate as the engine is running, not you rotati g them by hand.

That is what you are talking about, right?

All pushrods should rotate at a pace you can easily see at idle. If some are not, I would pull those and roll on an extremely flat surface…a big piece of glass or your wife’s granite countertop. A wobble indicates a bent pushrod.

G
Goach2 Offline OP
'Bolter
Yes, while running one was spinning really fast and the others you had to look close to see them turn. Then there were a few that weren't spinning at all...

There are only 10 types of people in this world, those who can read binary and those who can't.
J
'Bolter
The ones that aren’t spinning at all….pull and check those.

G
Goach2 Offline OP
'Bolter

H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
To check stovebolt pushrods for straightness, find a piece of glass slightly narrower than the length of the rod so you can roll it across the glass without getting either end involved. Also check the ball on the adjuster screw- - -it should be perfectly round, without a wear nub in the center. That nub will eventually catch in the depression in the female cup of the pushrod and break the lip off the cup. Rocker arm adjuster screws made for MOPAR V8's with solid lifter cams are the right thread to fit stovebolt rocker arms (7/16-20), and they're available on Ebay.
Jerry

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Kris Kristofferson

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!

WAG MORE- - - - - -BARK LESS!
G
Goach2 Offline OP
'Bolter
Rolled it across an old windshield, looks straight. Adjuster is nice and round too. Too tight to spin?

G
Insomniac
I had a few that were not spinning. They were just dry. A drop of oil on the cup and away they went.

Gord
----
1954 1/2 ton 235 4 speed
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop