The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Happy Birthday U S A !

Celebrating

Life, Liberty
and the
Persuit of Happiness

Happy Birthday
A M E R I C A

July 4 - 246 years

Stories, Pictures, Thoughts

Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
12 members (D B Cooper, 3B, 3800GUY, coilover, 2 invisible), 114 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics128,081
Posts1,037,108
Members45,928
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1452164 Fri May 20 2022 12:34 AM
G
Ga92009 Offline OP
'Bolter
Hi All
I have a headache from searching posts and online, TMI. Can some one point me to a source for the the Correct lite gray paint for the interior of a 57 panel? The Granite grays I've seen seems too dark compared to the small spots of original color i can find on my truck
Thanks !

Last edited by Ga92009; Fri May 20 2022 12:36 AM.

57 3105 Panel
Ga92009 #1452179 Fri May 20 2022 03:39 AM
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
I had the same issue with the interior paint I got from a vendor being too dark on my '51. I wound up taking it to a paint shop here to get it doctored to be a closer match to the original.

Kevin
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos [flickr.com]
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
Busting rust since the mid-60's
Ga92009 #1452183 Fri May 20 2022 06:22 AM
B
Sir Searchalot
A 57 panel will have about six access covers in the back. Take one to a paint shop for scan. or a rear door access cover..or try a few rattle can grays until one matches, then paint something to take for a scan. The only gray shown for 57 is Granite Gray. See Link [paintref.com] Which includes many suppliers code numbers. Don't you have paint and trim code numbers on a big blue plate on the A pillar? If not Granite Gray 723/772 then............. Arctic Beige 721, off white/gray tone.

Interesting note: 1957 has a fender emblem that is difficult for some people. 40%-50% of 1957 Chevy trucks have them on backwards. Including full professional restorations.

Watch out for careful drivers!!!
I'm away on an ego trip. Will be back on Feb 30.
I'm not an Auto Mechanic, but I play one on TV.
I charge $0.02 for every opinion and I take Paypal.
Plan B is always better than plan A, by definition.
"We have no time for comment, every man will make his own. LET IT BE MADE WITH POWDER AND BALL!!!"
I recommend invoking MIL-T-FP41c when machining and fabricating
I used to think beer was bad for me, so I gave up thinking.
Sometimes no nonsense makes sense, in a sense.
You can't teach a new dog old tricks.
Honk if you're Amish

klhansen #1452187 Fri May 20 2022 10:50 AM
G
Ga92009 Offline OP
'Bolter
Thanks. I was thinking I may have to lighten a gray. It seems available and color chart grays are darker. Trying to stay factory which seems more and more like a fool’s errand at my level of expertise 😊

57 3105 Panel
bartamos #1452188 Fri May 20 2022 10:54 AM
G
Ga92009 Offline OP
'Bolter
Bartamos
I didn’t think the data plate had the interior color code? I think I will end up trying to match a cover sample as mine has the typical overspray patterns on the walls under the panels
Thanks

57 3105 Panel
Ga92009 #1452211 Fri May 20 2022 02:36 PM
B
Sir Searchalot
Yes that's true. Interior chip colors are not found anywhere I know of. The "trim code" indicates two tone schemes and other info not altogether clear as to meaning. Most all "standard" trucks had charcoal gray no glare dash tops, charcoal gray on column and around floors areas. Light gray on doors, pillars and cab sides/rear. Some special interiors have been found. All the panels have the shadow marks where it seems they painted the access plates while the sides were laying flat before assembly.

"We have no time for comment, every man will make his own. LET IT BE MADE WITH POWDER AND BALL!!!"
Honk if you're Amish

bartamos #1452220 Fri May 20 2022 05:16 PM
G
Ga92009 Offline OP
'Bolter
Thanks for that information! Never thought the shadow marks were dome while on the side. I always wondered why they were there🤔 I am just about ready to spray the floor, column and interior firewall. Is charcoal gray an available paint? Or do you match a shade of some sort of black?

57 3105 Panel
Ga92009 #1452227 Fri May 20 2022 06:03 PM
Try this page: 57 Chevy Truck Interior Colors [paintref.com]

It looks like there were three grays (granite gray, marble gray, and charcoal) used on the interior. The issue is to get someone to mix them from the old Ditzler codes. Unfortunately the paintref site doesn't have any chips of the second two to get an ideal how they compare to granite gray.

[on edit] If you go to a PPG auto paint store, they may be able to find the codes and mix you a rattle can of each (about $35) There would probably be enough in that rattle can of the one you like to do the steering column.

Last edited by klhansen; Fri May 20 2022 06:14 PM.

Kevin
Ga92009 #1452236 Fri May 20 2022 07:43 PM
B
Sir Searchalot
It is almost impossible to find a paint shop who can cross those old numbers...and if they do come up with a paint for you, you won't know if it is exact or not. I would advise to not stress further. Use a piece from the column support, e-brake handle, shift rod or pedals to get a scan for the dark gray. Which should be the same as the dash top except a non glare was added to the mix.
For the rest of the truck, use whatever is there to scan. If there are no pieces to scan...........get some rattle can paint that is near, paint a test piece, see how it looks and then scan that or give the shop the Rustoleum/krylon number.......or paint the truck with quarts of that paint off the shelf. Chasing old numbers will not work. If this is not a Barrett-Jackson restore, you will be OK driving it around and not be pulled over to get harassed about it. grin

FYI: for the inside of roof, I HAD a tip in the tip section to use magnetic sign vinyl. The tip, with my name on it, is still there but has been swapped to a different tip. I don't know what has happened to it. I emailed management years ago, never got a response.

Anyway, check the tip section under paint and interiors and get some pointers for your panel.
It would also be nice if we could see what your interior looks like with well lit pix. Just to get a feel for what you see.

Honk if you're Amish

Ga92009 #1452242 Fri May 20 2022 08:21 PM
Have to agree with bartamos on getting old paint codes recognized. My paint shop didn't come up with anything on the ones available here on Stovebolt for the '51 interior colors. Although they didn't try very hard, just looked in their computer. ohwell

Also agree that you won't get hassled for having the "wrong" color. If it looks good to you, just go with it. I needed to paint the metal trim for my replacement door panels, and found a close enough match in rattle can paint.

Kevin
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  HandyAndy, klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop