The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Happy Birthday U S A !

Celebrating

Life, Liberty
and the
Persuit of Happiness

Happy Birthday
A M E R I C A

July 4 - 246 years

Stories, Pictures, Thoughts

Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
10 members (kades51, JW51, DaveV, Bill Trotter, D B Cooper, 1 invisible), 105 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics128,081
Posts1,037,105
Members45,928
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
N
'Bolter
It’s been so long since I dismantled the truck, that I cannot remember where and how to attach the beaded window seal to the door… the old one has holes drilled in it, but the door doesn’t have any holes anywhere that match the old seal.

Does it go the outside or inside of the window? I’ve looked though Brad’s slides, but it isn’t in there.

Thanks for any assistance! A pic would also be helpful..but anything would be appreciated.

Dave

Clutch head screws have stolen too many hours from my life....

1950 Chevy 3600 (resto-something) - the work resumes...

My truck project:
https://goo.gl/photos/8t5mLuj4JZebvGq49

Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
I believe those go on the inside of the window. IIRC, they were stapled on. I have my doors out in the shop, and can confirm that. The outside seal is the rubber one that slides into a slot below the window opening.

Kevin
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos [flickr.com]
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
Busting rust since the mid-60's
N
'Bolter
Originally Posted by klhansen
I believe those go on the inside of the window. IIRC, they were stapled on. I have my doors out in the shop, and can confirm that. The outside seal is the rubber one that slides into a slot below the window opening.

Thanks Kevin. I have looked at the shop manual, the assembly manual and googled several different searches and looked at many threads on this site, but have found no pics or discussions about these two seals… I just finished painting my doors and I’m ready to install them, but haven’t a clue as to how to install them or exactly where they go.

Last edited by Norcal Dave; Sun May 08 2022 05:27 AM.

Dave

My truck project:

I took a look at my doors and can't see any evidence of staples, but I was sure they were stapled in place. But I don't have a stapler that would penetrate the metal anyway, so will likely use some sort of adhesive to put mine on. They definitely go on the inside of the window, basically to keep the dust out.

[on edit] I think we're looking in the wrong place for the staple holes. They attache to the inside window molding per this post. I can go look at my inside moldings tomorrow. They're out in the dark right now.

Last edited by klhansen; Sun May 08 2022 07:46 AM.

Kevin
N
'Bolter
Originally Posted by klhansen
I took a look at my doors and can't see any evidence of staples, but I was sure they were stapled in place. But I don't have a stapler that would penetrate the metal anyway, so will likely use some sort of adhesive to put mine on. They definitely go on the inside of the window, basically to keep the dust out.

[on edit] I think we're looking in the wrong place for the staple holes. They attache to the inside window molding per this post. I can go look at my inside moldings tomorrow. They're out in the dark right now.

Thanks Kevin- that link was helpful. I do see that my kit came with staples. I’m also thinking now that I have the wrong assembly manual for my truck…. So the beaded window seal attaches to the bottom of the interior garnish, and the this rubber strip attaches between the bottom of the outer edge of the door and the glass….I’m still searching for pictures of this. Thanks again!

Dave

My truck project:

D
'Bolter
The felt scraper were "stapled" in place. Take a look at this youtube video , It really helped me a lot when I rebuilt my doors. There are a series of videos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wR0TfN2sIBQ&t=12s

Ron
1954 Chevy 3604 - A work in progress...
Veteran, USMC

" You can't keep dancing with the Devil and wonder why you're still in Hell ! "

"Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions"
Jerry Kassick's videos are really handy. I watched his video on reassembling my vent windows and found it helpful. I should have thought to look there for the one that Ronnie posted. Thanks Ronnie. smile

Kevin
D
'Bolter
Hey Kevin, glad to do it. His video's were a super big help to me.

Ron
1954 Chevy 3604 - A work in progress...
Veteran, USMC

" You can't keep dancing with the Devil and wonder why you're still in Hell ! "

"Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions"
N
'Bolter
Wow, thanks guys- that video was exactly what I needed for the beaded window seal. Sure enough, I found my inner garnish and there were the staple holes from the old seal…

That only leaves the outer dust seal (thin rubber strip)- [Edit] I found the outer dust seal in another one of his videos, of course! So I’m set for now. Many thanks!

Last edited by Norcal Dave; Mon May 09 2022 01:24 AM.

Dave

My truck project:

There were no clips for the outer seal. The FAM (Section 14, sheet 14.00) shows sealing compound on the whole length of the rubber seal. Not sure what type of sealing compound was used, but I didn't see any evidence of sealant when I pulled the old rubber out. Must have disintegrated over the past ~70 years. I imagine something that is medium bodied (not too runny, but not too thick) would be OK to use.

Kevin
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  48bigtrucks 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop