The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Positive thinking ...
We are still asking:
What did you
get done on
your Bolt today
????

The question, initially posted May 23, 2005, was:
"Whatcha do on your Bolt
this weekend?"

After 51,906,997 views, 7378 replies over 185 pages, this thread in General Truck Talk is a happening! And it's not just weekends anymore.

Now with pictures
and No BOTS.

So ...

What did you get done on your Bolt today????

Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
6 members (Napco Man, moparguy, 3800GUY, Hambone, 53 green 1- ton, 1 invisible), 93 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics127,472
Posts1,031,730
Members45,787
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Rim-Tire combos
jrich #1439320 Sat Jan 29 2022 09:24 PM
J
Unrepentant VW Lover
Jim's post reminded me (BTW, his truck is gorgeous and a lot of fun to convoy with!)

Yet *another* thing to consider ... A lot of guys have had their tires made perfectly round on a tire lathe. I thought that was crazy until my friend with a Powerwagon did it to his *very* expensive Michelins. The difference was truly amazing. And you (like I was) might be completely gobsmacked at just how out of round most tires are these days.

If you find that balancing still doesn't smooth things out, consider a tire lathe. Next trick is finding someone who has one ...

John
Cisgendered heteronormative aggressor perpetrating problematic toxic ideas of Chevrolet normativity smile

'49 Chevrolet 3804

John Milliman #1439366 Sun Jan 30 2022 01:14 AM
B
'Bolter
Originally Posted by John Milliman
Jim's post reminded me (BTW, his truck is gorgeous and a lot of fun to convoy with!)

Yet *another* thing to consider ... A lot of guys have had their tires made perfectly round on a tire lathe. I thought that was crazy until my friend with a Powerwagon did it to his *very* expensive Michelins. The difference was truly amazing. And you (like I was) might be completely gobsmacked at just how out of round most tires are these days.

If you find that balancing still doesn't smooth things out, consider a tire lathe. Next truck is finding someone who has one ...

I worked as a mechanic in a tire factory for five years, most of that time in the section known as "Final Finish." This is where the new tires that come from the presses go to be cleaned up, balanced and then sent to the inspectors. All new tires go through a dynamic balancing machine where they are graded. If they are on spec, they get sent on for clean up then final inspection and off to the shipping department. These are OE tires (for auto/truck manufacturers). If they require grinding to get into spec, they head to a machine that chucks them up (horizontally), pressurizes them, then spins them at a high speed to determine where the "thick" spots are. A pair of grinders on arms then moves in to remove tread at these spots. This process is repeated until the tire is in spec. These tires are sold to your various local tire stores. It was well known in the plant I worked at that the tires that had the most rubber ground off of them were sold to WalMart.

Brian

'51 Chevy 3604 Project
'28 Chevy LO basket case
'83 GMC Sierra 4x4
jrich #1443041 Tue Mar 01 2022 03:11 AM
F
'Bolter
I have a 3800 chevy stake body truck. The original wheels are 18". I am looking to upgrade to 19.5" tires and rims. Will a newer chevy wheel work, or do I need a Ferd wheel? Can anyone help with my situation?

Al "shaker" E
jrich #1443161 Wed Mar 02 2022 03:57 PM
J
'Bolter
Later model 19.5 rims that come off panel vans and small buses with a GM drivetrain will work on your truck. I have found that front rims have a different offset as compared to the rears on some trucks. On my truck I used fronts on the inside rears to give a little more clearance between rim and rear springs but I'm running a 14 bolt rear instead of the original. It may be a little different using the original axle. The only drawback I've found with the 19.5's is most all of the tires are 10-14 ply and are quite pricey. Hope this info helps. There's a picture of my truck at the beginning of this post.

jrich #1450862 Fri May 06 2022 07:03 PM
G
8 lug on 6.5" 19.5 dual type wheels can be found with two distinct center or dish profiles. I don't believe this is relative to front or rear location nor wheel width or offset, just different style from different manufacturing time or place, I've had both and believe they had same part number.

The "cone" shaped center does not fit on the rear drums of our old trucks, or not likely to fit.
The "concave/convex" shaped center likely will fit.

Even with the concave/convex type 8 lug 19.5 wheel the center dish can be very close or too close to the drum. When I had these wheels on my 51 GMC 1 ton I cut the centers out of some old cast drums (from a 14 bolt) to make wheel spacers enough to clear the wheels on the drums.

1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals [stovebolt.com]
1948 Chevrolet 6400 [stovebolt.com] - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup [stovebolt.com]
---All pictures [picasaweb.google.com]---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Grigg 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop