The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Remember old days

Remember
The old Bulletin Board?

click to enter

The old Bulletin Board has been removed from the server. And with recent "spring" cleaning, we are removing links back to it. The BB is still out in cyber space (to some extent) thanks to
The Wayback Machine.
Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
16 members (59 fleet, Donsz, 35truck, coilover, 3B, 1 invisible), 99 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics128,108
Posts1,037,362
Members45,936
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#1450285 Mon May 02 2022 04:46 PM
I
idaho39 Offline OP
Retired Construction Worker
I have not ,,but I seen my dad put one in the old home made bug (tractor) we had .. this photo made me think of it .although this is a out side fix not an inside one I edited this as I did put a boot in a tire I had on my 53 Chevy as it would wear out a tire every weekend .I finally had to change out the a lower nad upper arms and king pins ,and then sold it to a firend that took me when we were kids selling me a bad bicyle.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/oWHkeH5K5x2QZV489

Last edited by idaho39; Mon May 02 2022 05:34 PM.

Directions are just another mans Opinion

H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
I used to sew up torn sidewalls on dirt track racing tires with stainless steel aircraft safety wire, and glue a boot inside to keep the wire from chafing the inner tube. Those tires worked pretty well for a low bucks racing team!
Jerry

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Kris Kristofferson

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!

WAG MORE- - - - - -BARK LESS!
Grease Monkey, Moderator General Truck Talk & Greasy Spoon
A few times on my own tires back in the mid-late ‘60s. Poor kid who couldn’t afford new tires. By the time I left the parts business in the early ‘70s and got into the repair business, boots had gone out of favor. We did a few for local farmers just trying to get by. My mechanics didn’t like to do them because it cut into their wrenching time where they got commission.

Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne 4dr 230 I-6 one owner (I’m #2) “Emily”
‘39 Dodge Businessmans Coupe “Clarence”

"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

I
idaho39 Offline OP
Retired Construction Worker
Originally Posted by Hotrod Lincoln
I used to sew up torn sidewalls on dirt track racing tires with stainless steel aircraft safety wire, and glue a boot inside to keep the wire from chafing the inner tube. Those tires worked pretty well for a low bucks racing team!
Jerry
Never heard of stiching a tire up , interesting ,,but,,my dad booted lots of tires durring the second world war as you had to have script from the government to buy tires at that time.. they were rationed ,,he told me of using a chunk cut out of another tire and sticking it inside the tire needing a boot ,,for the lumber trucks to keep them going ,,,,,,,,,,,,, this was around Deadwood and Custer South Dakota

Directions are just another mans Opinion

C
'Bolter
Boots were an everyday thing during WW2 and some stations had a "vulcanizer" to bond live rubber into the sidewall of a tire. Had sulfur in a shallow cup that was set on fire to melt the rubber into the damaged area. When we made our war time annual trip to Sioux Falls the eight of us jammed into our 1936 Nash which had two spares, patches, boots, tire irons and a hand tire pump. My mother had a gallon of lemonade and sandwiches to fuel the tire changes. 120 mile trip took half a day. Never used that creative outside boot.

Evan
R
'Bolter
I once saw a rear tire on a tractor that had a boot bolted on. The boot itself was on the inside, but ends of the bolts with the nuts on were outside.

Rich

'47 Loadmaster [stovebolt.com]

1947 Chev. Loadmaster

1959 Chev. Viking 40

Genie: "I am the genie from a magic lamp and I have the power to grant you three wishes."
Me: "I want to be rich."
Genie: "OK, Rich, what's your second wish?"

H
'Bolter
Up here we have tundra tires on supercubs and other small off airport airplanes. When someone rips or punctures a tire the only way to get out is to cut the tire open and fill it with moss then sew it up with safety wire or paracord.

Pictures [s300.photobucket.com]
41 Chevy
41 GMC resting peacefully
46/7 Chevy
45 GMC panel truck in line for restoration
41 Plymouth in the restoration process
41 Chevy coe in line for restoration
C
'Bolter
I know that works cause we filled our bike tires with oats and friction taped the tire to the rim.

Evan
T
'Bolter
I have never put a boot on a tire...I have met some people that could have used a boot.

Last edited by tom moore; Tue May 03 2022 01:34 PM.
M
'Bolter
I watched Dad make and install boots in the front yard on the family truck in the 50's and 60's. My experience has been limited to tractors and pneumatic tired equipment used on the place. It's fairly common for me or one of the brothers to put a 3-point decking rack on and skid logs with a 50ish hp tractor. Sticking a stob in a rear tire sometimes happens when skidding logs. Rather than having to junk a hundreds of dollar tire, a boot is a much better option. A homemade boot can be permanent repair, but sometimes they'll gall the tube and you gotta do it again. When making a DIY boot, one of the secrets is beveling the edges of the boot so it makes a very gradual transition to the tire. If you can get a trailer to the tractor, load it and head to the B&B tire shop in Sheridan and Steve or one of his crew will install a boot without removing the tire/wheel, while the tractors on the trailer. That's the easy button.

RonR

Last edited by moparguy; Tue May 03 2022 02:37 PM.

1951 3600 with Clark flatbed, T5, 4.10 rear
1970 340 Duster
1990 5.0 V8 Miata (1990 Mustang Gt Drivetrain)
1951 Farmall Super A

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Justhorsenround 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop