The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Remember old days

Remember
The old Bulletin Board?

click to enter

The old Bulletin Board has been removed from the server. And with recent "spring" cleaning, we are removing links back to it. The BB is still out in cyber space (to some extent) thanks to
The Wayback Machine.
Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
13 members (Daves46pu, 66flea, Curt B., Biggin69, 3B, 6571, 1 invisible), 100 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics128,095
Posts1,037,203
Members45,931
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Unrepentant VW Lover
Any conservative, private, open source alternatives to GMail that aren't owned by libs or big tech?

Thanks,
John

John
Cisgendered heteronormative aggressor perpetrating problematic toxic ideas of Chevrolet normativity smile

'49 Chevrolet 3804

W
'Bolter
Pen and paper!!!!!!!!!!

Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.

1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
1954 3100 Chevy truck in the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
Pix on Photobucket
G
Insomniac
Don't mix up email clients with email servers.

Thunderbird is an open source email client that I prefer.

Gmail is the email service that I have been using for over 11 years. I wouldn't want to change now as I would have to let everyone* know my new address. *Family, friends, businesses that I deal with...

GMail's servers are owned by Alphabet. Alphabet is a publicly traded company and as a major component of the S&P 500. I follow Warren Buffett's advice and invest in the index, so I suppose I'm a part owner.

I don't know of any privately owned companies that have email servers that the general public can subscribe to. I expect that you would probably have to pay a subscription to use their service.

List of options: https://www.guru99.com/best-free-email-service-providers.html

Last edited by Gord&Fran; Thu Apr 28 2022 11:35 PM.

Gord
----
1954 1/2 ton 235 4 speed
J
'Bolter
Any private email scheme for which data isn't shared nor sold very likely will be limited to those email networks owned and operated by large (think 10,000 plus employees) companies. I've been there and actually was one of the remote IT guys (along with many other hats I wore) for a global company with nearly 40,000 employees. Our email was as secure and protected as possible, but (a) it was horribly expensive and (b) nothing like that is 100% foolproof. As for being owned by liberals and big tech...no services of which I'm aware. I'm optimistic the events of the last year have opened some eyes, however.

Jon

1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235
T5 with 3.07 rear end
J
Unrepentant VW Lover
Thanks Gord -- yeah, I am looking to ditch GMail and move my personal email somewhere else.

We use Thunderbird now for Stovebolt.com email.

I'm looking for an email service that's more private than gmail.

John
Cisgendered heteronormative aggressor perpetrating problematic toxic ideas of Chevrolet normativity smile

'49 Chevrolet 3804

G
Insomniac
Jon: The company I worked for had about 1,200 employees. We couldn't justify having our own server. It's a lot of work adding / deleting accounts as people joined / left the company. Then there was the password resets and dealing with people exceeding their quotas. Of course, the server has to be continually patched with software and security updates. And the hardware needs to be replaced from time to time. On and on it goes. ugh.

Last edited by Gord&Fran; Fri Apr 29 2022 12:15 AM.

Gord
----
1954 1/2 ton 235 4 speed
G
Insomniac
I'm not familiar with these services, but they might work for you.

https://restoreprivacy.com/email/secure/

It's good to assume that email is not 100% private. Don't send passwords, account numbers, or other sensitive info in an email.

Gord
----
1954 1/2 ton 235 4 speed
B
'Bolter
Although one shouldn't do anything on the internet that is sensitive, and trust nothing on the internet, I believe Tutanota.com is a good alternative, at least it isn't duckduckgo.

J
'Bolter
During my career I was bought/sold between 11 and 13 times (at one point a large fish swallowed us only to be swallowed a week later by a much larger fish, so that one is subject to some interpretation). The first 30 years email wasn't a concern. First the teletype and later faxes were. The last 20 years it was all about email and increasing concern about security. I hate to think what that has become since I hung up my spurs.

Jon

1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235
T5 with 3.07 rear end
B
'Bolter
What on earth, I typed duckduckgo and it changed to duckduckgo..... This is strange... duckduckgo.

Last edited by BurningTracks; Fri Apr 29 2022 03:31 AM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  baldeagle 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop