The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Happy Birthday U S A !

Celebrating

Life, Liberty
and the
Persuit of Happiness

Happy Birthday
A M E R I C A

July 4 - 246 years

Stories, Pictures, Thoughts

Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
9 members (fonz8261, 55_2nd_Series, Justhorsenround, D B Cooper, 1951chevy3100AD, 1 invisible), 94 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics128,080
Posts1,037,103
Members45,928
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
rickmg #1449385 Mon Apr 25 2022 09:05 PM
R
rickmg Offline OP
'Bolter
Day 1 was over 30 years ago. I've owned this truck since 1977. Restored/rebuilt it November 1977-June 1978. I installed turn signals on it because todays drivers don't have a clue what hand signals are. The switch is vintage 1939 Chevrolet accessory. I probably used the same flasher part number as the original.

Rick

rickmg #1449387 Mon Apr 25 2022 09:20 PM
J
'Bolter
Hi Rick,
That switch and system was originally designed for rear turn signals only (as I recall). I think turn signals for front and rear didn't come along until 40 or maybe 41. Did you adapt it to use the fog lights as additional turn signals (up front)?

Jon

1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235
T5 with 3.07 rear end
rickmg #1449418 Tue Apr 26 2022 12:39 AM
B
Sir Searchalot
Good point Jon G. If a person adds another bulb to the old system of rear only, it would change the resistance/current draw and fast flash. Maybe rick can post the flasher PN if it's still visible on the flasher can. Then we can all check that out and guide him to a different one to try. The flashers are kind of a specific design for a certain system. The strip has to heat and cool under a fairly precise load.

For Reference: The no.1 cause is bulbs. A person could experiment and take one front bulb out and test blink. Compare speed to the other side.

Rick: You have great patience to last over 30 years with fast flash. Is there a chance it is "normal" since there is no way to know what normal is for a 1939 Chevy? Is it strobe light fast/hyper fast............ or kind of fast compared to something?

Watch out for careful drivers!!!
I'm away on an ego trip. Will be back on Feb 30.
I'm not an Auto Mechanic, but I play one on TV.
I charge $0.02 for every opinion and I take Paypal.
Plan B is always better than plan A, by definition.
"We have no time for comment, every man will make his own. LET IT BE MADE WITH POWDER AND BALL!!!"
I recommend invoking MIL-T-FP41c when machining and fabricating
I used to think beer was bad for me, so I gave up thinking.
Sometimes no nonsense makes sense, in a sense.
You can't teach a new dog old tricks.
Honk if you're Amish

rickmg #1449429 Tue Apr 26 2022 01:10 AM
R
rickmg Offline OP
'Bolter
It flashes like a strobe. I would manually manipulate the switch on and off. 1939 trucks used the same parking/turn signal light on the front fender as the passenger cars. Looked like something out of star wars. 1940 trucks they were much smaller. I couldn't bring myself to drill holes in the top of my nos fenders to mount them, so I used 1939 Chevrolet fog lights instead. I'll see if there is a part number on the flasher unit. There was no return to neutral position, off, after turning back then. You have to remember to return it to the off position.

Rick

rickmg #1449432 Tue Apr 26 2022 01:35 AM
B
Sir Searchalot
No problem with the fog lights. Good idea. Probably looks era correct. Do that experiment above to get some feedback for the troubleshoot archives.
You will want a 535 flasher relay.

"We have no time for comment, every man will make his own. LET IT BE MADE WITH POWDER AND BALL!!!"
Honk if you're Amish

rickmg #1449530 Tue Apr 26 2022 07:06 PM
J
'Bolter
Hi Rick,
The self-cancelling feature came along in 1941 it seems. I would first figure out which bulbs you're using (1156, 1157 or whatever) and then start figuring out the current draw, candlepower, whatever. Then we can figure out which flasher you need.

Jon

T5 with 3.07 rear end
rickmg #1449546 Tue Apr 26 2022 09:13 PM
B
Sir Searchalot
1156, 1157 are 12V bulbs. Lets don't confuse the poor guy. He needs a TF535 flasher.

Honk if you're Amish

rickmg #1449560 Tue Apr 26 2022 10:55 PM
J
'Bolter
My goodness. Let's get the cart and horse in the proper order, okay? He is using a flasher that currently doesn't work correctly and he had another one in 1977 that didn't work correctly that he's been using since then. We have no idea what that flasher is, and that's an important variable. Whatever bulbs are in use is another very important variable. My information says in 1939 there were no front end flasher fixtures in use by GM (only rear ones) and if that information is correct, the flasher would have been designed to only flash one bulb at a time. But Rick says he has 2 on each side. Another variable and another question mark. If all you have is variables, no equation can be solved...by anyone.

Jon

T5 with 3.07 rear end
rickmg #1449574 Tue Apr 26 2022 11:57 PM
R
rickmg Offline OP
'Bolter
Now, now folks anything can be solved. The flasher being used is a Tungsol 229D Pat. No. 1979349. I'll have to take the bulbs out of the turn signals/fog lights to get the numbers off of them. Just a thought, can a resister solve the problem? The flasher has 3 electrical connectors. I am deeply respectful to your input.

Rick

rickmg #1449582 Wed Apr 27 2022 12:14 AM
B
Sir Searchalot
Rick, you don't need a resistor. Good job on reporting the flasher.
You are not really after the bulb number. It is a 6V bulb or it would have burnt out already. To save some work and time. just buy a 535 flasher and plug it in. It is also a 3 prong flasher. If it solves the problem, you are done.
If not, you will have to check the bulbs AND their sockets.

FLASHER HOOK UP:
X= TO BATTERY
L= TO TURN SIGNAL SWITCH
P= TO "PILOT LIGHT"/INDICATOR ON TURN SIGNAL SWITCH........ If you have other indicators somewhere, that could cause a problem.

By the way, the turn signal switch/clamp needs good ground to column.

I think the only place to get that same flasher is used or N.ew O.ld S.tock. Don't bother, neither option is reliable. It is a genuine GM Part. Advertised as 46-54/49-54

Honk if you're Amish

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop