The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search
Time to gathering together!
Fall Happenings
Since we put up promos last two weeks, we have had a bunch of activity in
The Side Lot.
See what's happening with a Stovebolt Collective near you

THE SIDE LOT
From Coast to Coast and some International gatherings listed, too.

Next up: too many to list!

THE SIDE LOT.

Go see!

Searching the Site

Get info about how to search the entire Stovebolt site here. To do a search for just the forums, get those details in the IT Shortbus fourm.
Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
13 members (D B Cooper, Gdads51, 55shaker, 3 invisible), 120 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics129,203
Posts1,047,801
Members46,221
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
'Bolter
I won’t comment on quality as that is more a personal choice but indicator style is worth considering when purchasing.
The indicator on the left is what Fox owns and is the most common general purpose style sold (2” dial face with 1” plunger travel)
The one on the right is referred to a dial TEST indicator. It is similar in cost to the first style but has far more versatility in that it can get inside pilot or dowel holes and the arm can be manipulated to see the dial face much more easily. This one has a range of .040” and I would bet in the 10 years Fox has owned his neither he nor his buddies had an application where more than .040” of dial travel was required. $117 on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Mitutoyo-513-518T-Pocket-Indicator-0-20-0/dp/B0006J3YAI

more info:

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/inspection-and-measurement/top-dial-test-indicators/

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...cting-a-magnetic-indicator-base-and-arm/

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/tips-and-tricks/choosing-the-right-dial-indicator/

Attached Images
IMG_1813.JPG (329.14 KB, 101 downloads)

1952 1300 Canadian 1/2 ton restomod

Photobucket

You Tube

J
Workshop Owner
FYI: Very seldom do I ever use a travel style indicator. Only when I need more range (travel). Most often I prefer to use a test indicator. Interapid make the best test indicators (just my opinion) and mostly are all we use. I do have Starrett, Brown & Sharpe, Mitutoyo and Federal brands as well as a couple cheap imports in my toolbox at work. These I have accumulated over 40 years in the Tool & Die trade. They all work well. It's mostly a matter of personal preference.

For working on our old trucks, I wouldn't be afraid to use a cheap import (test or travel style) as long as it repeated well.

John

J Lucas

1941 Chevy 1/2-Ton
1942 Chevy 1.5-Ton SWB
1959 Chevy Apache 31 Fleetside
1959 Chevy Apache 32 Fleetside
1969 Chevy C-50 Grain Truck

My Flicker Photos! [flickr.com]

H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Try degreeing a camshaft with a .500"+ lift at the valve with a last word dial indicator. I'm debating between buying an indicator with a 2" stroke VS a 3" to use setting up the offset on my crankshaft grinder. Some of the cranks I work with have over a 4" stroke length, which requires offsetting the rotating heads more than 2 inches to get the rod journals to spin true. There's about a $75.00 difference in the cost of the dial indicators.
Jerry

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Kris Kristofferson

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.
Ernest Hemingway

WAG MORE- - - - - -BARK LESS!
J
Workshop Owner
Originally Posted by Hotrod Lincoln
Try degreeing a camshaft with a .500"+ lift at the valve with a last word dial indicator. I'm debating between buying an indicator with a 2" stroke VS a 3" to use setting up the offset on my crankshaft grinder. Some of the cranks I work with have over a 4" stroke length, which requires offsetting the rotating heads more than 2 inches to get the rod journals to spin true. There's about a $75.00 difference in the cost of the dial indicators.
Jerry

Yep, personal preference of brand and length of required travel for what you're needs are. That's why and how I accumulated so many over the years.

John

J Lucas

1941 Chevy 1/2-Ton
1942 Chevy 1.5-Ton SWB
1959 Chevy Apache 31 Fleetside
1959 Chevy Apache 32 Fleetside
1969 Chevy C-50 Grain Truck

My Flicker Photos! [flickr.com]

C
'Bolter
Originally Posted by 2-Ton
My career depended on the quality of the precision tools I used and no one touched those tools but me.
Don

I can't count the number of times I've watched a journeyman machinist with complete confidence in both his measuring skills and his tools get shredded by a quality control department over non conforming parts due to his improperly calibrated tools or misuse of them. This is the very reason both API and ISO compliance now requires that ALL measuring tools in a shop are included in a quality management/calibration system. When a guy's tool comes back from calibration with a red tag what does he do? Sell it on Ebay and buy a quality replacement.

Fox,

My apologies for using you as an example. Let me offer to loan you any precision measuring tool you could possibly need for the cost of a drive to Acheson (and maybe a beer).

Attached Images
IMG-0639.jpg (289.07 KB, 68 downloads)

1952 1300 Canadian 1/2 ton restomod

Photobucket

You Tube

Drafted Moderator!
Thanks Curt for the offer, but I also don't borrow any precision tools unless they are the company's tools and I can check them myself.
Been retired over 8 years now and don't need most of them any more.
Sold a bunch to Grigg a few years back, but kept the smaller stuff in case I want to help out in a local small shop. Or rebuilding an engine.

Really nice set you have there! An don't worry, use my name anytime.

Don

Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most!

1967 GMC 9500 Fire Ladder Truck
"The Flag Pole"
In the Stovebolt Gallery [stovebolt.com]
More pix on Photobucket [s893.photobucket.com]
'46 2-Ton grain truck
'48 3/4-ton grain truck
'50 2-ton flatbed
'54 Pontiac Straight Eight
'70 American LaFrance pumper fire truck.
F
Fox Offline
A teacher, but always an apprentice.
No worries, Curt. By no means am I an expert. I hope my tools are reading true! 😬 For what I’m doing I think it suffices. Oh, boy...is that doubt gnawing now? Bahaha!

That set you shared is beauty.

In the Stovebolt Gallery [stovebolt.com]
More pictures here [photos.app.goo.gl]

1951 GMC 9430 1 ton dually—-Shiny!

1970 Chevrolet C10 - Grandpa’s- My first truck.—in progress to shiny
1972 Chevrolet C20- Rusty- the puzzle box lid for the C10.
1950 Chevrolet 1300- in progress to shiny.
1962 AMC Rambler American- my wife’s

Parts trucks-
1951 GMC 9300
1951-GMC 9430
1951- Chevrolet 1300
B
'Bolter
For the once in a blue moon I use my dial indicator I just went with Harbor Freight. Works fine for the light occasional use.

1949 Chevy 3600
1975 W-25 Hurst Olds
1991 Chevy Silverado
1970 GMC 1/2 ton Fleetside
2010 Chevy Silverado
I'm a GM man!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  MNSmith 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop