The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Remember old days

Remember
The old Bulletin Board?

click to enter

The old Bulletin Board has been removed from the server. And with recent "spring" cleaning, we are removing links back to it. The BB is still out in cyber space (to some extent) thanks to
The Wayback Machine.
Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
8 members (1946GMCDAN, Gdads51, JW51, 3B, Lightholder's Dad, Donf), 94 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics128,110
Posts1,037,374
Members45,936
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
W
'Bolter
One friend of mine has had a mark III as far as I know and has since 1969 but it is not in running condition, it was parked for years in his mother's barn. Another friend sent me a picture of a Jag that he had just bought with the tag line I told sue, his wife, that he would drive it to her funeral but I missed it by a month. He kept it for a year or 2 and traded it for a newer one. the other one was in the 90s or newer. Mechanical issues. And they are very very expensive to work on.

Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.

1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
1954 3100 Chevy truck in the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
Pix on Photobucket
F
'Bolter
Originally Posted by WE b OLD
Mechanical issues. And they are very very expensive to work on.

We are getting quotes in the 120k range with minimal body work needed on this car.

1966 C-10 Step Side. 283, 4spd, 3.73 gear. 60K miles prior to restoration. 507 Paint Code. Currently in 10,000 pieces.
Transmission is done! Rear Suspension is done! Wheels are done! Bed bodywork is done! Soon to order a 383 crate.

W
'Bolter
I read years ago that rebuilding the front suspension was more than $20,000.00 ohwell

Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.

1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
1954 3100 Chevy truck in the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
Pix on Photobucket
I
Retired Construction Worker
My dad owned a 60-61? Rambler station wagon and when he drove over a big dip at the side of the road his whole front front hub and axle came apart , If I remember correctly ,,them cars were built that way and when ever a front tire came off the ground enough this would happen .. NOW, I never owned one or did I check out what did happen ,, so if any of you had one or ever heard of this ,, maybe you can disprove this or clarify it..

Directions are just another mans Opinion

'Bolter
The Marlin came with a Torquetube!

H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
It never happened to the 62 Rambler wagon I drove for quite a while, and I beat that car like a rented mule! The drive in movie just down the road from Tennessee Tech University used to have "dollar a car" night. We laid all the seats down and packed the old wagon with college students, from under the dash to the tailgate, floor to ceiling. One kid was steering, another was operating the gas and brake pedals with his hands, and the guy lying across on top of the dash was giving them directions. We rolled in with all the windows closed, paid our dollar, and bailed 22 college kids out of the old relic! A bunch of lawn chairs and a cooler full of beer was tied to the roof rack. That was in 1967.
Jerry

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Kris Kristofferson

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!

WAG MORE- - - - - -BARK LESS!
M
'Bolter
Originally Posted by Ferris Bueller
We are getting quotes in the 120k range with minimal body work needed on this car.

A few years after I sold my '62 XKE flat floor (flat floor cars are the earliest ones) fixed head coupe I got a call from a gentleman in California. He'd wound up with my car and was filling in the blanks on its history. At that time it was in the middle of a rotisserie restoration. If the car is in the condition I expect it to be, it's worth in the mid $200k range (or more). So, even though a proper restoration is expensive, it could well be a bargain.

Of course "proper" restoration is the key. The Jaguar world is made up of anal, obsessive compulsive types and perfection is barely good enough. Most shops fall short of the mark when it comes to doing a proper job that'll pass professional muster.

RonR

1951 3600 with Clark flatbed, T5, 4.10 rear
1970 340 Duster
1990 5.0 V8 Miata (1990 Mustang Gt Drivetrain)
1951 Farmall Super A

F
'Bolter
Originally Posted by moparguy
If the car is in the condition I expect it to be, it's worth in the mid $200k range (or more). So, even though a proper restoration is expensive, it could well be a bargain.

RonR

In the excellent range a finished FHC is in the 115-120 range. If it were a roadster it would add 50K to the value. If it were a series 1 like you had, another 50K on top again.
This car had been his pride and joy most of his adult life. He is second owner, drove it for 3 years, and then it became a weekend car until the mid 80s when it was parked in his garage where it has died. frown

I have talked to him over the last 20 years about doing something with it. Even offering to get it running so he could drive it around the block. He never bit. Now he has some significant cancer issues (But he keeps beating the odds) and wants to get it restored. I am doubting he will live long enough to see it finished. Its a 18 to 24 month process and most places are 12 months out from taking it in. This car of his has been through all the trials and life chaos of his which he has seen too much of. I wish I could work magic and get it into a place to be able to give him a ride again before his passing, but of the many things I can do, I don't think this is one of them.

1966 C-10 Step Side. 283, 4spd, 3.73 gear. 60K miles prior to restoration. 507 Paint Code. Currently in 10,000 pieces.
Transmission is done! Rear Suspension is done! Wheels are done! Bed bodywork is done! Soon to order a 383 crate.

H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
I got into a similar situation with a Rolls Royce Silver Shadow owned by a country music singer/songwriter that had been parked for many years. He was in terrible physical condition, and the president of his fan club wanted to surprise him by getting it back into running shape to give hm a last ride. I managed to get it running and driving, but they experienced some very traumatic sticker shock when they started talking about a full restoration. I believe he did get a few rides in it before he passed on, but the thing was a rolling death trap with some major brake issues and an engine that was seriously low on oil pressure.
Jerry

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Kris Kristofferson

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!

WAG MORE- - - - - -BARK LESS!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Justhorsenround 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop