The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Remember old days

Remember
The old Bulletin Board?

click to enter

The old Bulletin Board has been removed from the server. And with recent "spring" cleaning, we are removing links back to it. The BB is still out in cyber space (to some extent) thanks to
The Wayback Machine.
Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
14 members (59 fleet, 55shaker, 68ironhead, DougH6100, Chris's 46 / 515, 32vsnake, 1 invisible), 87 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics128,110
Posts1,037,369
Members45,936
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#1447781 Tue Apr 12 2022 03:37 AM
C
'Bolter
Hey guys. I'm back. I've got a 53 chevy 4400 with the 235. I just got it registered and insured and go figure.... now it's dumping tons of blue/white smoke. It also will randomly start running terrible at around 55mph. Sometimes It won't do it and sometimes it does. It acts like it's starving for gas. But the settlement bowl always has gas. Not sure what the running psi is other than when I crack the settlement bowl open it sprays gas all over. Not sure what my next steps should be. I really was looking forward to driving It to work and occasionally the store. It just seems to keep getting worse every time I drive it. The white smoke is new but it's not using coolant. It REALLY smokes when you let off the gas. I'm guessing valves are no good but I did a warm compression test on all cylinders and every cylinder was at 120psi-140 psi. And none leaked down...

Camdg2010 #1447784 Tue Apr 12 2022 03:59 AM
B
'Bolter
"REALLY smokes when you let off the gas" can be a symptom of oil getting by the intake valve stem and sucked into the combustion chamber. Could be valve stem seals on the intake valves, worn guides on the intake valves and/or worn intake valve guides. It is worse under high intake vacuum situations like letting off the gas at speed.

'52 GMC 150 driver, so not a REAL Stovebolt.
Camdg2010 #1447833 Tue Apr 12 2022 06:44 PM
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Does the truck have a hydrovac brake booster? Brake fluid getting into the vacuum chamber of a hydrovac will create HUGE volumes of white smoke with a choking odor, at least until the intake sucks up all the brake fluid out of the master cylinder. Then smoke will definitely not be your primary concern- - - -picking something cheap to hit when the brakes stop working will! Disconnect the big vacuum line at the intake manifold and see if it's wet on the inside, and/or smells like brake fluid.
Jerry

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Kris Kristofferson

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!

WAG MORE- - - - - -BARK LESS!
C
'Bolter
No. I put a brake booster in a d deleted all the old brake system

Camdg2010 #1447904 Wed Apr 13 2022 01:41 AM
C
'Bolter
So good news. I found the issue and resolved it. Now I need some expertise! I started to get a bad stumble and stutter at 45-50mph.. like when it's under load. However at idle it runs smooth. My buddy said to replace points and condenser so I did. I set them to specks in shop manual. Drained the gas and replaced with fresh non ethanol gas. Also cleaned the carb. There was a poet that was completely blocked but I went through it with a fine tooth comb. Cleaned the settlement bowl and fored it up. Again, it idles GREAT. No pinging and popping. Get up to 45 and it falls on its face. Not sure if it's a fuel or ignition problem. I pulled the distributor and checked the gear and all seems good. Plugs don't look fouled. It's definitely got fuel pressure. Not sure what it is without a gauge but it's got decent psi. No other weird symptoms. Just get to 45 and it falls on its face. It acts just like it's out of gas but it's got a fresh 10 gallons. Any ideas?? I'm lost. I noticed the little flapper in the exhaust is missing the temp spring. It naturally falls towards the engine. I'm assuming that's open??? Any help would help tons!

Camdg2010 #1447907 Wed Apr 13 2022 02:10 AM
Grease Monkey, Moderator General Truck Talk & Greasy Spoon
You can’t just say you “ found the issue and resolved it “ without telling us what you found and fixed. Now is your opportunity to help those who helped you.

Someone will be along soon to help with your other issue.

Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne 4dr 230 I-6 one owner (I’m #2) “Emily”
‘39 Dodge Businessmans Coupe “Clarence”

"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

C
'Bolter
Well see I thought I was being smart. When I got the truck it was full of sludge. I pulled the pan and cleaned it, flushed the engine several times and cleaned the oil galleys as best I could but it wasn't enough so I took some brake line and a brake line T and made my own rocker arm oiler and tapped into the oil pressure gauge port on the driver's side of the block. Well after driving it, it would dump to much oil in the top end and would get a bunch down the vavle guides and into the cylinders. I regard all the oil galleys and got it pumping oil like it should and did away with my diy oiler. The thought was good. But didn't work. After running it the way it was before my diy setup, it cleared up in about 20 minutes.

Camdg2010 #1447933 Wed Apr 13 2022 12:31 PM
'Bolter
If your truck is still stock then it should have a governor that will limit the engine speed, 45-50 mph is normal top end. Mine has a 7.20:1 rear end, with the original 8.00 or 9.00 x 22.5 tires it would top out at 45, now with 10R-22.5 drive tires it will hit 50-51 mph against the governor.

1957 Chevrolet 5700 LCF 283 SM420 single speed rear, 1955 IH 300U T/A, 1978 Corvette 350 auto, 1978 Yamaha DT175, 1999 Harley Davidson Softail Fat Boy
Camdg2010 #1447960 Wed Apr 13 2022 03:48 PM
C
'Bolter
This is something new. I've had a max speed of 68 mph. I've swapped the rear axle and run 19.5 wheels. The rear gearing is different so I should gain road speed. The day I had it at 68 it was running great. Like I said, this skipping is something new. The smoke is gone. I read on a different forum people are having he same problem and turns out it's actually running out of gas in the carburetor at those speeds and once they let off it recovers. Same thing is happening to mine. It skips around 45mph as if it's out of gas. I can push the clutch and let off the gas and it won't stall. I can't post videos on here but I took one last night of what it's doing. Ideas great, speeds are great till around 45. Then it skips and bucks. I noticed people talking about a ballast resistor.... my truck has a gm alternator and charges at 14.3 v when driving.. could it be over powering the coil???

Camdg2010 #1447972 Wed Apr 13 2022 05:30 PM
'Bolter
Has the complete truck been converted to 12 volts, if it still has the original ignition system you're smokin' the coil and points. If it has a 12 volt coil with point style distributor then you need a ballast resistor.

1957 Chevrolet 5700 LCF 283 SM420 single speed rear, 1955 IH 300U T/A, 1978 Corvette 350 auto, 1978 Yamaha DT175, 1999 Harley Davidson Softail Fat Boy
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  69Cuda, Grigg 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop