The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Remember old days

Remember
The old Bulletin Board?

click to enter

The old Bulletin Board has been removed from the server. And with recent "spring" cleaning, we are removing links back to it. The BB is still out in cyber space (to some extent) thanks to
The Wayback Machine.
Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
4 members (DougH6100, bolter5410, Mike Burns, 485WINDO), 83 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics128,108
Posts1,037,350
Members45,936
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
Shop Shark
The 250/292 engines are really good at doing what they were ment to do, haul all day trouble free! For the best info on hotrodding an inline Chevy L6, get Leo Santucci's book on them called Chevrolet Inline Six-Cylinder POWER MANUAL. I haven't seen an automotive engine that doesn't respond to improved breathing yet, but there might be one out there. I drove the modern Chevy L-6s so many miles that I just don't remember any more! There are amazing hotrod products in Argentina and Australia for the L-6s. Look around here, too! Chevy did all kinds of things in bigger trucks. Plus, the L-6s are so dependable because of all the main bearings. You can't beat one main per rod! Have fun!

Roadmarks #745184 Fri May 06 2011 02:08 PM
C
Shop Shark
Leo Santucci's book is amazing! I never would've guessed that there were so many possibilities. . .But it seems like it is geared towards racing and I'm not really looking for speed. I'm wanting the power to haul my truck, trailer and me around without having traffic back up behind me. Tom from Langdon's e-mailed me back and suggested a 4 bbl carb intake. I might try it out but there goes fuel economy. I wish I had unlimited time and money to try different things, but I'll just have to shoot from the hip I guess.

Craig

It is neither wealth nor splendor, but tranquility in occupation which brings happiness. - Thomas Jefferson

CK
Joe H #1433348 Sun Dec 12 2021 11:57 PM
R
'Bolter
Well, this is an old thread!

For warming the intake manifold, how much effect does the warming kit have that uses engine coolant?

H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
It looks good, that's about all. When you really need it, while the engine is warming up, it's as useless as windshield wipers on a duck's butt. Exhaust gas is several hundred degrees at a minimum and it happens s soon as the spark plugs fire. Coolant gets up to 200-ish degrees after several minutes of operation. As the pointy-eared guy on Star Trek would say- - - -"That isn't logical!"
Jerry

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Kris Kristofferson

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!

WAG MORE- - - - - -BARK LESS!
'Bolter
I love the 292. The I6 gets a bad rap when it comes to performance. It's primary and secondary forces cancel out. Something a V-8 can never do. It has 7 mains. People think I6 and they think small. My 292 is punched to 308ci, That's over 5 liters. Mine is being designed for 1300hp but will never see over 1000hp on race gas and 500ish on pump gas. As Mike Kirby once told me "the magic is in the head". The rest of it is just trying not to have the crankshaft leave the building. If you are doing the intake and exhaust I would suggest a lump port kit. They are not expensive and can be done with a few simple tools at home. If you want to get into impressive performance then in my opinion some serious head work needs to be done. They are expensive to build but there is nothing like the sound of an angry I6. They are so well balanced and you will never rev it over 6000 rpm that they last a long time, even built. I know a guy running a 1000hp 292 (turbo) on the strip and he has 8 seasons on the same engine without a rebuild. I'm running a Ryan Falconer V-12 head on mine. Leo talks about it briefly on page 126 and 127 in his latest printing. He's been very helpful to me and sometimes has to reel me in a little. So along with the V-12 head I have Crower billet crank cam and rods. 5 stage dry sump. Electromotive coil over direct fire ignition. 6-71 blower with 2 Quick fuel 650 DP. NOS. Meth. It's going in my 53 3100 with a 5 speed. Sorry so long. Thank you for your time.

Old enough to know better, too young to resist.
'Bolter
Originally Posted by Hotrod Lincoln
It looks good, that's about all. When you really need it, while the engine is warming up, it's as useless as windshield wipers on a duck's butt. Exhaust gas is several hundred degrees at a minimum and it happens s soon as the spark plugs fire. Coolant gets up to 200-ish degrees after several minutes of operation. As the pointy-eared guy on Star Trek would say- - - -"That isn't logical!"
Jerry
I always wondered how much good that would do. I have a 4 bbl intake for my 235 that's from the early 80's made by what was then called Clifford Research. It has 2 copper lines that you welded bungs into their headers and circulated exhaust gases through a plate on the bottom of the intake. I also have the block under the carb that hot water goes through.

Old enough to know better, too young to resist.
'Bolter
I'm an old six fan myself.
I think the magazine articles use to say to do the exhaust and cam first, and then the carburetion.
They may have been quoting Jack Clifford.

Mick53: What 5 speed are you going to use with that much hp?

F
'Bolter
Chevoldsmoyota You can split it but it will sound ugly,the 216,235,261 are noted for a special purr that most rodders like to hear!!

J
Unrepentant VW Lover
FWIW, the OP's last post was in 2019.

John
Cisgendered heteronormative aggressor perpetrating problematic toxic ideas of Chevrolet normativity smile

'49 Chevrolet 3804

P
'Bolter
Water heat does nothing for a while.
Both water and exhaust heat can be regulated, even underway, with a little imagination.
Almost every car 1965-80 has hot air ducted to the AC can by passing it over the exhaust manifold, then automatically and gradually shuts off in favor of cold air from the grill. Some of those JY parts can be adapted.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop