The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search
What's going on?
What's happening?

Find out in
THE SHOPS !

Genearl Truck Talk
20,267 threads; 177,521 posts
The Engine Shop
32,460 threads; 255,065 post
Driveline
8,796 threads; 65,970 posts
The Electrical Bay
9,505 threads; 74,285 posts
Sub: The Radio Bench
The HiPo Shop
5,040 threads; 46,029 posts
Paint & Body Shop
12,505 threads; 81,120 posts
Sub: The Doors
Interiors
4,059 threads; 26,817 posts
The Tool Chest
1,762 threads; 26,817 posts
Making a Stovebolt Bed
1,052 threads; 6,659 posts
Searching the Site

Get info about how to search the entire Stovebolt site here. To do a search for just the forums, get those details in the IT Shortbus fourm.
Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
2 members (John Dlugos, JW51), 92 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics128,612
Posts1,041,915
Members46,061
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
F
'Bolter
If I remember correctly from my time living in ID, there is a go around if you put x number of dollars into passing the sniff test. You have to show proof you put the money in, but after that they will pass you.

I went round and round with them when I bought a bornco into ID from MT. It did not have cats on it. They insisted it have them. We duked it out for a while, till I traded it in on a powerstroke which had no cat on it.

1966 C-10 Step Side. 283, 4spd, 3.73 gear. 60K miles prior to restoration. 507 Paint Code. Currently in 10,000 pieces.
Transmission is done! Rear Suspension is done! Wheels are done! Bed bodywork is done! Soon to order a 383 crate.

F
'Bolter
Originally Posted by Ferris Bueller
If I remember correctly from my time living in ID, there is a go around if you put x number of dollars into passing the sniff test. You have to show proof you put the money in, but after that they will pass you.

I went round and round with them when I bought a bornco into ID from MT. It did not have cats on it. They insisted it have them. We duked it out for a while, till I traded it in on a powerstroke which had no cat on it.

If you fail, spend $200 on repairs, then fail again (must be within a 60 day window), you can get a repair waiver. That gives you 1 year (as opposed to the 2 years that a test is normally good for) before you have to pass. At that point you cannot get a second waiver.

More info is available here: https://idahovip.org/waivers.html

But just spend 5 min pulling some timing and getting it warm and you won't have an issue.

58 Apache, long bed fleetside, V8 w/SM420
Drivable but the rear axle needs work.
W
'Bolter
Indiana had the inspections back in the 60s and maybe into the 70s. I bought my 1960 MGA and had to have it inspected and the turn signals did not work but the inspector was not aware it should have them and so he passed it. So after they quit doing them. It was a money grab, to begin with.

Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.

1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
1954 3100 Chevy truck in the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
Pix on Photobucket
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
The emissions guy is full of beans. It probably needs a minor adjustment to pass.

Back when they first started doing emissions testing up here, I took our car in to be tested. The guy noticed that a vacuum line had fallen off and got all huffy about me "tampering" with it and wasn't going to test it. So I plugged the line back in and told him to test it. It passed just fine.
Also got a notice when my diesel truck was 5 years old that i had to take it in to get tested, even though diesels were exempt. I had to go to the "referee" station to have them make sure I hadn't swapped in a gas engine. The lady in charge insisted that it happened all the time, even though I questioned why anyone would want to do that on a 5 year old vehicle. She called the tech to go out and check, and all he did was look at the VIN. He didn't even raise the hood or sniff the tailpipe. Gave me an "Exempt" sticker. It was a complete waste of my time and theirs.

Kevin
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos [flickr.com]
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
Busting rust since the mid-60's
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
There was a testing station in a particular neighborhood in Nashville where a $100.00 bribe would get any vehicle a "pass" document, even one that could be used as a mosquito fogger. There's something about placing the sniffer tube 30 feet from the tailpipe during the test that guarantees a good outcome.
Jerry

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Kris Kristofferson

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.
Ernest Hemingway

WAG MORE- - - - - -BARK LESS!
F
'Bolter
I keep toying with the idea of picking up one of the testing machines to do experiments with. I would like to do a series of tests showing the impact of various tuning operations and mods.

There was one for sale here locally last fall, but my shop was full of engines at the time and I didn't have anywhere to store it.

58 Apache, long bed fleetside, V8 w/SM420
Drivable but the rear axle needs work.
I
idaho39 Offline OP
Retired Construction Worker
Another guy from a Square Body Truck Forum suggested I make sure the flapper is all the way open in my carburator...............This just might be my whole problem ,,looking at my carburator from the front of the motor back towards the fire wall,,my choke wire runs behind the distributor and over to the right a bit and through the fire wall and then takes a sharp bend over to the right side of the steering wheel next to the E Brake and it does not work well at all .,. to many bends ,, I meant to do what he suggested and make sure the flapper in the carb was all the way open ,but did not..

The truck runs great after pumping the gas to warm it up ,,no hesitation at all when giving it a lot of gas peddle

Directions are just another mans Opinion

H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
"Choke wire"?????? Manual chokes went away sometime in the 1960's.
Jerry

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Kris Kristofferson

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.
Ernest Hemingway

WAG MORE- - - - - -BARK LESS!
I
idaho39 Offline OP
Retired Construction Worker
[quote=Hotrod Lincoln]"Choke wire"?????? Manual chokes went away sometime ?? ..it did not bother me that it has one as I had one in the new 65 Chevy truck I owned and it worked fine . Just had to remember to push the gas feed in when pushing it in or it would bend the linkage .

Directions are just another mans Opinion

W
'Bolter
I forgot to push it in my 54 this week and after a few miles it was running rough and it did not help that I left the electric fuel pump on.

Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.

1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
1954 3100 Chevy truck in the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
Pix on Photobucket
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Justhorsenround 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop