The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search
What's going on?
What's happening?

Find out in
THE SHOPS !

Genearl Truck Talk
20,267 threads; 177,521 posts
The Engine Shop
32,460 threads; 255,065 post
Driveline
8,796 threads; 65,970 posts
The Electrical Bay
9,505 threads; 74,285 posts
Sub: The Radio Bench
The HiPo Shop
5,040 threads; 46,029 posts
Paint & Body Shop
12,505 threads; 81,120 posts
Sub: The Doors
Interiors
4,059 threads; 26,817 posts
The Tool Chest
1,762 threads; 26,817 posts
Making a Stovebolt Bed
1,052 threads; 6,659 posts
Searching the Site

Get info about how to search the entire Stovebolt site here. To do a search for just the forums, get those details in the IT Shortbus fourm.
Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
13 members (Chris's 46 / 515, Bill Hanlon, 7045george, Bill Trotter, 2ManyTrucks, drdoug), 117 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics128,581
Posts1,041,646
Members46,050
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1444417 Sat Mar 12 2022 06:19 PM
S
'Bolter
Hi everyone. New to this site, however, not new to the hobby, etc. Currently working on a 40 pu that was basically in pieces and I spent well over a year repairing metal and fab-ing parts. Just "finished" the frame/suspension and started assembling the body panels, etc. Does anyone have a pic or two showing how the front fenders attach near the front frame? this would be frame near the doghouse. There are two "pins" that go through the frame rails and I found the 4 brackets in the parts pile that go onto the pins, however, since everything was in pieces a few years ago when I purchased this, I am not certain how this gets assembled. I did a search on this site and internet, without any success. Just trying to get the panels adjusted, etc. well before paint. I can post some pics of the project if anyone is interested.

Thank you in advance.

Doug

R
'Bolter
Doug,

Post some pictures. I’m presently working on a ‘40 Chevy pu myself. Maybe I can help.

Mike

1940 Chevy 1/2 Ton presently in pieces...
1940 Chevy Business Coupe
D
'Bolter
+1 to this! My fender bolt locations were filled in so I need to drill them out. Hope someone chimes in soon

S
'Bolter
Well, I am hopeful we can get some help..........I did figure out that part of my stupidity is that the "pins" i was referring too are for the front suspension, which I had removed and installed a Mustang II front. My issue is that I am aligning everything in the front and much like dkeehr indicated, most of the holes, etc. were not "usable" and therefore, I have very little reference points....things align fairly well, except the fenders to the cab. They fit well to the running boards and rocker panels, however, there is a gap at the front of the fender to cab. I suspect, since I have painfully worked at all the other gaps and replaced more metal than probably was original, I need to cut and fab more. Just hopeful that I can see some good examples and get some advice. My project so far is: Frame boxed, M2 front suspension, 4 link rear installed, custom 9" ford rear (325 gearing), I have most of the metal work completed and installed as a "mock up" (thus the need for the front installation information.

thanks,

Doug

'Bolter
not sure if this will help... but it's my complete fender just after taking it off the truck.

Attached Images
IMG_3039.JPG (120.17 KB, 130 downloads)
IMG_3036.JPG (133.8 KB, 124 downloads)
Last edited by 32vsnake; Tue Mar 15 2022 07:55 PM.
H
'Bolter
Doug,
These photos are for 1941 -46 but may help you with your 40.

Harold

Attached Images
Front Fender.jpg (45.17 KB, 125 downloads)
Fender Gasket Set.jpg (13.43 KB, 125 downloads)
Inner Fender Driver.jpg (62.51 KB, 125 downloads)

Harold
Is a restoration ever finished?
D
'Bolter
Thank you! I think (if I'm assuming correctly) we're looking for some guidance on the bolt locations on the cab/firewall and the front skirt. Once I get some guidance here I will personally make a template and ship it out to any other inquiring minds. Shelbydog - are you dry fitting the fenders or using the gaskets? Not sure if the gaskets will make too much of a difference, but there may be some tolerance there.

'Bolter
On my 40 there are no bolts on the cab/firewall that attach to the fender (that I remember). The inner fender liner bolts to the frame near the base of the cab and then to the fender.
At the cab itself, the rear of the fender "buts" up to the triangle shape on the lower 1/4.

I don't have any good pictures of the radiator shroud but the fenders follow the arc of the shroud with 3 or 4 bolts (as I recall) and 1 bolt at the bottom lip of the apron.

Attached Images
IMG-3818.jpg (157.33 KB, 106 downloads)
Last edited by 32vsnake; Wed Mar 16 2022 01:49 AM.
S
'Bolter
Thanks everyone!
this is helpful. There are holes in the front fenders along the cab side (inner fender) that I assume must attach to the cab just in front of the doors? They were already on the fender (does not mean it is correct) and I did not do any metal work where these holes are. I did replace both lower front cab areas in front of the doors, however, I do not recall any attachment holes there. (although they may have been rusted out). I am assuming the only attachment of the fenders in the front is to the doghouse? Nothing to frame. The doghouse sits on the frame cross member and is secured there? Is there a gap/bushing or something that separates the bottom of the doghouse to the frame cross member? sorry so many questions.

I am dry fitting the body panels and making any "minor" adjustments to get my gaps good and make certain all attachment points are ready so there are no surprises or significant adjustments needed later. Once I get the panels all aligned (I spend way too much time on this as in 40, I am sure panel fit was no where near what I strive for). plan is to align panels, do any last body work, remove panels and prime/seal (again), then I will cut in the insides and anything that cannot be reached once reassembled. The next time the body panels get put on, has to be the last...........then block the outside panels and paint.
thanks in advance

Doug

R
Moderated
The rear of the front fender is supported by its attachment to the running board and this brace in the photo that bolts to the frame

Attached Images
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  HandyAndy, klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop