The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search
Keep your restoration going

Keeping your resto going

A good bit of advice nestled in the FAQ page.
Don't

Irwin Arnstein working on his
1959 Chevy 1-Ton

Read the article.

Searching the Site

Get info about how to search the entire Stovebolt site here. To do a search for just the forums, get those details in the IT Shortbus fourm.
Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
4 members (Fox, Joe W, Lancer1951, 1 invisible), 91 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics128,524
Posts1,041,225
Members46,037
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#1443585 Sun Mar 06 2022 02:28 AM
G
'Bolter
Hello everyone,
I'm currently finishing a rebuild and we are adding an Edelbrock 4 barrel onto a Clifford intake manifold. I noticed the neck of the intake manifold has a higher end on the driverside, and a lower at the front end. I placed the carb and adapter plate on just to get a visual and seen the carb is at a tilt. Anyone seen this before? Any running issues I should be worried about?

Attached Images
20220305_125942~2.jpg (204.81 KB, 223 downloads)
Last edited by Grandpas_48; Sun Mar 06 2022 06:18 AM.

Grandpas_48
#1443594 Sun Mar 06 2022 06:22 AM
G
'Bolter
Hello everyone,
I'm currently finishing a rebuild and we are adding an Edelbrock 4 barrel onto a Clifford intake manifold. I noticed the neck of the intake manifold has a higher end on the driverside, and a lower at the front end. I placed the carb and adapter plate on just to get a visual and seen the carb is at a tilt. Anyone seen this before? Any running issues I should be worried about?

Attached Images
20220305_125942~2.jpg (204.81 KB, 265 downloads)

Grandpas_48
C
'Bolter
The engine will sit down in the rear when mounted in the chassis so carb will be near level. Not to worry anyway as cars/trucks seemed to work okay in San Francisco where they were just about never on the level and run quite well in the movie "Bullet" chase scene. The smallest Edelbrock carb is a 500cfm which is way larger than a 235 needs and you have no heat to the carb which is a pain in cold weather and at the gas pump. Holley makes a 385cfm 4bbl and Ford has a hot water heated car base plate with that bolt pattern. My word is not from the alter and some have 4bbl 235's that run good so just try and learn along the way. Good luck.

Evan
P
'Bolter
Anticipates the engine in installed position, tilted down in back.
What carb?

J
'Bolter
My guess:

Engine sits in the vehicle front higher than rear. So the carb will be level once mounted.

What cfm carb is that?

H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Buy a good fire extinguisher. The lean backfires are going to be epic. Engine tilt will make the carb sit level, but you're going to have approximately three times the CFM capabilities the engine needs. You'll have lots of air, and virtually no gas due to low air velocity through the venturis.
Jerry

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Kris Kristofferson

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.
Ernest Hemingway

WAG MORE- - - - - -BARK LESS!
D
'Bolter
Jack Clifford developed that intake decades ago. The originals did not have provision for water heat to the bottom of the intake. The new versions have had that provision for quite a few years now.

https://cliffordperformance.net/store/ols/products/42-4500wh-chevy-235-intake-manifold

Yours looks to be one of Jack’s original design i takes with out the water heat.

You will have to do a little bit of tuning to get that carb dialed in, same for using the small 390 Holley, but once dialed in, that set up runs pretty good.

The bottom of the intake has a little open chamber. You can weld a plate with fittings to make a water chamber. Then run hot water from the thermostat housing, Stovebolt Engine Company sells a lower housing with a water outlet on the driver side, or dig up a 270 or 302 gmc lower housing. They will have either a boss that can be drilled, or the boss already drilled and tapped. The hot water helps keep heat on the bottom of the intake to assist in vaporizing the fuel.

Last edited by Dragsix; Sun Mar 06 2022 05:14 PM.

Mike
D
'Bolter
Jack Clifford developed that intake decades ago. The originals did not have provision for water heat to the bottom of the intake. The new versions have had that provision for quite a few years now.

https://cliffordperformance.net/store/ols/products/42-4500wh-chevy-235-intake-manifold

Yours looks to be one of Jack’s original design i takes with out the water heat.

You will have to do a little bit of tuning to get that carb dialed in, same for using the small 390 Holley, but once dialed in, that set up runs pretty good.

The bottom of the intake has a little open chamber. You can weld a plate with fittings to make a water chamber. Then run hot water from the thermostat housing, Stovebolt Engine Company sells a lower housing with a water outlet on the driver side, or dig up a 270 or 302 gmc lower housing. They will have either a boss that can be drilled, or the boss already drilled and tapped. The hot water helps keep heat on the bottom of the intake to assist in vaporizing the fuel.

Mike
G
'Bolter
Thank you for the info and help, very much appreciated.

Grandpas_48
G
'Bolter
What I have now is a 1406 600 CFM. If I have to downgrade I definitely will. We will see how this plays out... [quote=JW51]My guess:

Engine sits in the vehicle front higher than rear. So the carb will be level once mounted.

What cfm

Grandpas_48
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop