The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Happy Birthday U S A !

Celebrating

Life, Liberty
and the
Persuit of Happiness

Happy Birthday
A M E R I C A

July 4 - 246 years

Stories, Pictures, Thoughts

Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
10 members (3B, 3800GUY, coilover, 3 invisible), 102 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics128,081
Posts1,037,108
Members45,928
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
W
'Bolter
I recycle my brush by cutting up into 2 ft. length and throwing it over the embankment at the end of the main road to my addition. I just started that about 3 years ago. A lot of others in the neighborhood do the same thing. There is a farmers' field about 20 feet down and a river beyond that. The county at least once a year comes along and using a brush mower keeps the weeds down. Closer to town there is a wide place and from time to time furniture pieces are left there. I have lived here since 1978 and it does not seem to make a difference. Someone from the addition I assume uses a lawn tractor to push it further off the road. To take it to the county dump it costs by the length of the truck bed for brush it starts at $35,00 for a short bed.

Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.

1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
1954 3100 Chevy truck in the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
Pix on Photobucket
W
'Bolter
In the 1950's, I was the Bottle Boy at my folks country grocery store. We paid 3 cents per bottle (I think) and I sorted them. Coke bottles went here and Pepsi bottles went there for reuse by the companies. Kids, including me, made a little bit of money by walking the roads for bottles.

On a different note, the Montana Public Service Commission has allowed a 2nd garbage company to compete with Republic Services in Missoula. Should be interesting.

1948 3/4-Ton 5-Window Flatbed Chevrolet [sandeace.com]

29 Years of Daily Driving. With a '61 261, 848 head, Rochester Monojet carb, SM420 4-speed, 4.10 rear, dual reservoir MC, Bendix up front, 235/85R16 tires, 12-volt w/alternator, electric wipers and a modern radio in the glove box.
I
Retired Construction Worker
Originally Posted by Wally / Montana
In the 1950's, I was the Bottle Boy at my folks country grocery store. We paid 3 cents per bottle (I think) and I sorted them. Coke bottles went here and Pepsi bottles went there for reuse by the companies. Kids, including me, made a little bit of money by walking the roads for bottles.

On a different note, the Montana Public Service Commission has allowed a 2nd garbage company to compete with Republic Services in Missoula. Should be interesting.

I remember getting 2 cents for pop bottles and 1 cents for beer bottles around that time too. I picked up old beer bottles along the highway and just very touch them and they would break. .probably from freezing every year they were laying in the wooded area never seeing the sun.. I have Republic Service here too,, must be a nation wide company ..

Directions are just another mans Opinion

W
'Bolter
The beer bottles were indeed 1 cent returned. They were generic stubbies since the long neck bottle hadn't arrived to the Pacific NW yet.

1948 3/4-Ton 5-Window Flatbed Chevrolet [sandeace.com]

29 Years of Daily Driving. With a '61 261, 848 head, Rochester Monojet carb, SM420 4-speed, 4.10 rear, dual reservoir MC, Bendix up front, 235/85R16 tires, 12-volt w/alternator, electric wipers and a modern radio in the glove box.
I
Originally Posted by Wally / Montana
The beer bottles were indeed 1 cent returned. They were generic stubbies since the long neck bottle hadn't arrived to the Pacific NW yet.

I did not see long bottles ither.. how about the big pop bottles,,were they 5 cents ? and did they male big bottles of beer..seems I remember them being ... in them days six pack of beer was less than $2 ,,if you consider inflation beer is less costly now than it was then ,, maybe that is why we have to have bigger garbage containers and land fill ,, Just a joke on tha last part . $2 in 1950 is like $23 dollars today ,,Idaho needs to have a law to take back beer and pop cans rather than going to the dump

'Bolter
....I'd ride the highway picking up bottles and then hide them in places for when I needed them.
I got a penny a bottle and would cash in 12 or 13 of them and it'd buy a coke and a bag of chips. Big money for a small kid!!!

1937 Chevy Pickup [stovebolt.com]

1952 Chevy Panel [stovebolt.com]
52 Chevy Panel [photos.app.goo.gl]

Pictures in my Photobucket [s140.photobucket.com]

1950 Chevy Coupe
https://photos.websearch.com/share/...Nko1cUJCNFFMTVFEUnNRbjFhNTFPc1J4YWV4cmRB

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
'Bolter
When I was a kid, small bottles were $.02 and a 32 ounce was $.05 return.

Brian
1955.2 3100 Truck

The older I get the more dangerous I am!!!!!
W
'Bolter
Just duckduckgo trash and it may shock you about how ineffectual it is. Especially the debacle of sending it to Japan.

Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.

1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
1954 3100 Chevy truck in the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
Pix on Photobucket
I
Glad to see some of you picked up empty bottles for the few cents they gave in return .. I looked forward to finding a few bottles and taking them to the local stores for a refund .. I did not have parents with extra money to give us kids .,so we learned to work for it ..some didnt and they gripe a lot today ..

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Justhorsenround 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop