The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Happy Birthday U S A !

Celebrating

Life, Liberty
and the
Persuit of Happiness

Happy Birthday
A M E R I C A

July 4 - 246 years

Stories, Pictures, Thoughts

Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
5 members (KEVINSKI, Phak1, D B Cooper, pope, Otto Skorzeny), 67 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics128,080
Posts1,037,100
Members45,928
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Justhorsenround #1443193 Wed Mar 02 2022 08:15 PM
D
'Bolter
Last tire I had fixed was $25.00. It was one of the new low profile tires.

Justhorsenround #1443197 Wed Mar 02 2022 09:24 PM
Leo Offline
'Bolter
I generally fix my own flats, which are rare. Usually just a small nail hole. But $20. for a repair job isn't something I would complain about.

Justhorsenround #1443213 Thu Mar 03 2022 12:47 AM
'Bolter
Recently an elderly fellow from out of state hit a pot hole and burst the inside wall. He had finally stopped right in front of my house and came knocking on my door. It was a Honda with low profile tire so I had him pull it to the shop door. While jacking the car up he informed me the car came with NO spare tire what so ever. Not even a donut......its Saturday so off to wally world we go.
He found a tire and when asked about getting it mounted, as I had his old one in the back of my truck, the shop foreman hollered and ask the "tire guy" if he would mount a new tire. The EMPL:OYEE yells back yeah, in about 3 1/2 hours. I explained the situation an how it'd 10 minutes and I could get the old man on his way. He made us stand there for 40 minutes while he wrote down oil changes "3 cars back". We were stuck. All my tire guys are closed on Saturday.
So I told him it was the first time I ever seen an employee tell the foreman how to run his job!!
Then I ask how much and how long it'd be....$18.50 to mount/balance and he made the guy come pick the tire up at 5pm closing time. In my area 90% of the folks will mount and balance it free if you buy a new tire.

Now, like Jerry, I changed many tires back in the day, tube type, for the station "special" of $1 and with the old manual set up where you broke it down physcially.
Another place here in town will not plug a tire and changes $25 to patch it no the inside. He is not a nice guy anyway so nothign lost there.
I've plugged many tractor trailer tires (ran new tires on steering axle) and never had a problem. The strips are longer for the bigger tires.

For myself, I USED to plug my own but after all the surgeries I no longer have the upper body strength to plug one but my neighbor does!!!
My LOCAL tire guy pulls the nail out and plugs 95% of tires on the vehicle and I'm gone in 5 minutes usually with no charge.
Whats this world coming to..........oh, I know, I'm not in Kansas anymore Toto.

ok ok, ,I'm through.

1937 Chevy Pickup [stovebolt.com]

1952 Chevy Panel [stovebolt.com]
52 Chevy Panel [photos.app.goo.gl]

Pictures in my Photobucket [s140.photobucket.com]

1950 Chevy Coupe
https://photos.websearch.com/share/...Nko1cUJCNFFMTVFEUnNRbjFhNTFPc1J4YWV4cmRB

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Justhorsenround #1443215 Thu Mar 03 2022 12:55 AM
Mixed Up
I carry a plug kit and a 12 volt air compressor in our tow vehicle.
Plugged many tires on the truck and trailers over the years, by the side of the road.
We have a a 2011 Subaru Forester and if a tire goes bad, either fix it or buy a new set.
It does do really well in snow though, with the all wheel drive computers system.
As a disclaimer, it’s the wife’s car.

Don

Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most!

1967 GMC 9500 Fire Ladder Truck
"The Flag Pole"
In the Stovebolt Gallery [stovebolt.com]
More pix on Photobucket [s893.photobucket.com]
'46 2-Ton grain truck
'48 3/4-ton grain truck
'50 2-ton flatbed
'54 Pontiac Straight Eight
'70 American LaFrance pumper fire truck.
Justhorsenround #1443219 Thu Mar 03 2022 01:03 AM
'Bolter
About a month ago I had a flat on my Equinox. Took the tire and wheel off, and took it to the local Firestone dealer, said he was booked and couldn't get to it for two and a half weeks. End up dropping it off at Walmart, and picking it up a couple of hours later.

Brian
1955.2 3100 Truck

The older I get the more dangerous I am!!!!!
Justhorsenround #1443251 Thu Mar 03 2022 04:43 AM
R
'Bolter
Were you being charged by the hour, or is $20 their flat rate for fixing a tire? If it had taken 20 minutes instead of 12 would the price have been the same, or twice as much?

Rich

'47 Loadmaster [stovebolt.com]

1947 Chev. Loadmaster

1959 Chev. Viking 40

Genie: "I am the genie from a magic lamp and I have the power to grant you three wishes."
Me: "I want to be rich."
Genie: "OK, Rich, what's your second wish?"

Justhorsenround #1443254 Thu Mar 03 2022 05:21 AM
W
'Bolter
In about 1960, I fixed flats where I worked at a service station. Emphasis on "service." Pulled out the nail and patched the tube. When they started plugging tubeless tires, I wasn't working there thank goodness.

1948 3/4-Ton 5-Window Flatbed Chevrolet [sandeace.com]

29 Years of Daily Driving. With a '61 261, 848 head, Rochester Monojet carb, SM420 4-speed, 4.10 rear, dual reservoir MC, Bendix up front, 235/85R16 tires, 12-volt w/alternator, electric wipers and a modern radio in the glove box.
Justhorsenround #1443255 Thu Mar 03 2022 05:28 AM
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
When steel belted tubeless tires came along, the only effective repair method was a patch for the inner liner, and a plug that sealed the belt from contamination by water, mud, salt etc. I started installing "patch plugs" with a rubber stud built into the center of the patch in the late 1970's, and that's the only kind of tire repair I'm willing to bet my life on, regardless of the cost. I don't intend to be a dead cheapskate!
Jerry

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Kris Kristofferson

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!

WAG MORE- - - - - -BARK LESS!
Justhorsenround #1443265 Thu Mar 03 2022 01:29 PM
Grease Monkey, Moderator General Truck Talk & Greasy Spoon
Jerry, can you still buy those?

Rich, $20 flat rate unless required more than one patch. I’ve used the guy for years and he’s good at what he does. It’s been about 5-6 years since I had one fixed and I paid $6 for that one. Inflation

Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne 4dr 230 I-6 one owner (I’m #2) “Emily”
‘39 Dodge Businessmans Coupe “Clarence”

"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Justhorsenround 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop