The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Happy Birthday U S A !

Celebrating

Life, Liberty
and the
Persuit of Happiness

Happy Birthday
A M E R I C A

July 4 - 246 years

Stories, Pictures, Thoughts

Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
10 members (DaveV, Bill Trotter, D B Cooper, Joe H, 1951chevy3100AD, 1 invisible), 103 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics128,080
Posts1,037,103
Members45,928
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1442562 Thu Feb 24 2022 08:17 PM
R
'Bolter
New to this forum today.
I'm going through my uncle's 49 for his Grandsons to drive. It has just over 38,000 miles and is in really good shape. Was always kept inside.
Can anyone tell me what this thin paper gasket is for between the rear hub and brake drum?
45 years of bending wrenches and this is the first time I have seen this.
There are only two logical explanations that I can see. The first being, it may possibly help with brake noise. The second being, it may help keep any gear lube that would leak from the axle flange from getting into the brake drum.🤷‍♂️

Attached Images
16457328473284140487421895784509.jpg (263.13 KB, 84 downloads)
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Keeps the metal on both sides of the gasket from "rust-welding" together?

Tim
1954Advance-Design.com [1954advance-design.com]
1954 3106 Carryall Suburban [stovebolt.com] - part of the family for 49 years
1954 3104 5-window pickup w/Hydra-Matic [1954advance-design.com] - part of the family for 15 years
- If you have to stomp on your foot-pedal starter, either you, or your starter, or your engine, has a problem.
- The 216 and early 235 engines are not "splash oilers" - this is a splash oiler. [chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com]
R
'Bolter
Possibly. 🤷‍♂️

L
'Bolter
I keeps the oil from going into the drum. It will go out onto the wheel not the brakes. I found the same thing on my 47 3600 last summer when I went though the brakes. There is a tin cover on the back side that directs the leak from going on the backing plate, and then directs it to the front side of the drum away from the shoes/drum.

R
'Bolter
Makes sense. It is slightly oily inside both hubcaps. Can't really tell if it's from the hub seal, or the axle flange at the outer face of the hub. Certainly no rusty lugnuts anyhow.
Really enjoying this project, and I'm really surprised how easy it has been to find the parts I have needed thus far.

H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
A small bead of RTV sealer around the brake drum flange on the hub will accomplish the same thing without trying to find or make those flimsy paper gaskets. If you insist on having them a manila file folder and a small ball peen hammer comes in handy.
Jerry

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Kris Kristofferson

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!

WAG MORE- - - - - -BARK LESS!
R
'Bolter
Thanks Jerry,
A thin bead of non hardening anaerobic would probably work well too.
I am trying to keep it as pure as possible since it's in such good shape, but doubt anyone is going to pull the rear drums and start screaming to take me to the gallows. LOL
Especially considering I am only charging them for the parts on this whole project.

Moderated by  SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop