The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Remember old days

Remember
The old Bulletin Board?

click to enter

The old Bulletin Board has been removed from the server. And with recent "spring" cleaning, we are removing links back to it. The BB is still out in cyber space (to some extent) thanks to
The Wayback Machine.
Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
9 members (Daves46pu, Bill Hanlon, carbking, 58caddy, 6571, Justhorsenround), 106 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics128,095
Posts1,037,207
Members45,931
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1442289 Wed Feb 23 2022 04:33 AM
S
'Bolter
Over the years I occasionally had a bad bolt or nut that needed replaced. I know there is the grade 5 with 3 bars on the head, and grade 8 with 5 bars. So I go to the big box store and have two choices….. either zinc or stainless steel. I know that two different metals are usually not compatible and tend to gall. I want the “black” automotive style bolts/nuts like what came in our old trucks. They also look original and don’t stick out like sore thumbs. As an example, I’d like to replace all of the nuts on top of the rocker arms. After 70 years of wrenching on them to adjust valve lash they are pretty buggered up. Where do you guys & gals go to buy this kind of hardware? Thanks

Chuck
1950 Chevy 1/2 ton (all original)
1951 Chevy 1/2 ton (future streetrod)
1941 Chevy coupe
1938 Chevy coupe streetrod
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Check mcmaster carr. They have lots of options on hardware.
Link [mcmaster.com]

Kevin
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos [flickr.com]
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
Busting rust since the mid-60's
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Ebay has untold thousands of bolts and nuts in every size and grade imaginable. You just need to know exactly what you're looking for. Those stovebolt rocker arm locknuts will be 7/16-20, but they're about half the thickness of regular nuts.

For instance:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/390127261719?

Jerry

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Kris Kristofferson

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!

WAG MORE- - - - - -BARK LESS!
F
'Bolter
For black-oxide bolts, I usually go to a True Value Hardware if I just need a couple or Fastenal/McMaster if I need a lot.

58 Apache, long bed fleetside, V8 w/SM420
Drivable but the rear axle needs work.
S
'Bolter
Kevin, Jerry, and Fibonachu…… thanks for the suggestions and links for black oxide bolts. I didn’t really know what to call them, but now I do and where I can buy them. Much appreciated!

Jerry, thanks for reminding me that those particular nuts are different in size and are referred to as jam nuts.

Chuck
1941 Chevy coupe
H
'Bolter
If you want to learn about nuts & bolts (& so much more) go to Pegasus Racing, their catalogs cover it, grip lengths, 12 point, AN, grades, nyloc, jam,etc etc, if you were building a car from scratch their catalog is the required shop reference…
Probably have your jam nuts available in 12point

Hank: 46 Chev 1/2ton shortbed
2018 Miata RF
M
'Bolter
Originally Posted by klhansen
Check mcmaster carr. They have lots of options on hardware.
Link [mcmaster.com]
McMaster Carr has everything to make about anything and they will get it to you spooky fast. If you want to go top of the line ARP is the way to go. They are designed to be retorqued. A standard bolt can only be torqued once and be in spec.

Old enough to know better, too young to resist.
S
'Bolter
Update…. I drove to three nut & bolt retailers today looking for the elusive 7/16-20 black oxide jam nut with no luck. Only one store had any in stock, but they were zinc and the outer circumference was much larger than the Stovebolt nut. I went online and found a bag of 25 stainless steel nuts for less than $10 with free freight. My question is will they be compatible with the steel rocker adjusting screws? I’ve always heard different metals gall. Logic tells me they would be okay because of the constant drip of oil.

Chuck
1941 Chevy coupe
P
AD Addict
I don’t believe you will have much luck finding these nuts, in the proper size and proper grade outside of the automotive trade. Personally, I would buy originals or buy the exact replacements.

Not cheap, but the Filling Station has the studs and nuts as a kit. Here is a [LINK] [store.fillingstation.com]

I see them on eBay occasionally. Good luck with your search.

Phil

1952 Chevrolet 3100
Project Journals
Stovebolt Gallery

‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters
“Three on the Tree” & 4:11 torque tube
12v w/ Alternator
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Put a little Never-Seez on the threads and drive on. Stainless tends to friction weld itself together when bolts and nuts of the same alloy are torqued tightly, but I don't think I've ever seen carbon steel and stainless fasteners gall when they're used together.
Jerry

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Kris Kristofferson

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!

WAG MORE- - - - - -BARK LESS!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop