The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search
Getting back to business
First round of holidays is about over. A few weeks before the next ones. For some of us...

Winter is Coming
Time to think about wintering your Bolt.
(continued)

A good Tech Tip
WINTERIZING YOUR TRUCK
including a link back to the Forums for some new thoughts.

Searching the Site

Get info about how to search the entire Stovebolt site here. To do a search for just the forums, get those details in the IT Shortbus fourm.
Old Truck Calendars
In the works
Nothing like an old truck calendar

2023 Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
4 members (Brando4905, LAROKE, Jethro in Va, Thomaslb), 82 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics127,667
Posts1,046,495
Members46,401
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
bztguy Offline OP
'Bolter
That is some wild negative camber....

1949 Chevy 3600
1975 W-25 Hurst Olds
1991 Chevy Silverado
1970 GMC 1/2 ton Fleetside
2010 Chevy Silverado
I'm a GM man!
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Originally Posted by showkey
1/2 T 50’ GMC witha severe camber issue on both sides………..built a fixture and 20 ton bottle Jack.
Bent the cold axle back to 0 camber.

If your in spec I would not change due to tire choice. I ran radials on the 1/2t in the photos.
Are you sure you didn't install the spindles upside down? I did that on one of mine when redoing kingpins till I eyeballed it and said OOPS!

Attached Images
IMG_3931.JPG (348.23 KB, 134 downloads)
IMG_3932.JPG (375.92 KB, 132 downloads)

Kevin
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos [flickr.com]
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
Busting rust since the mid-60's
G
Insomniac
My radial tires look OK after about 1000 miles. I didn't bend the axle for camber so it's still the 1954 spec. I bought the skinniest tires I could get; I believe camber would affect wider tires more. I also added an anti-roll bar.

Gord
----
1954 1/2 ton 235 4 speed
B
bztguy Offline OP
'Bolter
Gord&Fran, I've wondered about tread width coming into play. The original bias ply tires and two piece rims were on it when I got and I remember the tread width was narrower. I too have added a front sway bar. I've also found my tie rod has a bow in it which, if it hasn't already been adjusted out after the bow was put in it, would pull the back of the tires inward creating excessive toe in and allow tie rod flexing going down down the road. I'm anxious to dig into all of this but I need the weather to pull farther past winter so I can work on it out side. My shop is taken up by another restoration project. A 65' 442 is in pieces all over the place but I am seeing light at the end of the tunnel on that one.

Last edited by bztguy; Mon Feb 21 2022 07:49 PM.

1949 Chevy 3600
1975 W-25 Hurst Olds
1991 Chevy Silverado
2010 Chevy Silverado
I'm a GM man!
S
'Bolter
No on the spindle mix up……………think the cause was a young driver at high speed and bumps and jumps over long period of time ????

Last edited by showkey; Mon Feb 21 2022 08:00 PM.
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Originally Posted by showkey
No …….think the cause was a young driver at high speed and bumps and jumps over long period of time ????
WOW! I think it would take a lot of jumps, with the axle hitting the bump stop many times to do that to the axle. And I'd guess there'd be other sign of abuse, like the frame bent where the bump stops hit it.

Kevin
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos [flickr.com]
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
Busting rust since the mid-60's
S
'Bolter
The camber your seeing was after new springs, bushing, shackles, king pins, shocks, brakes, steering links, tie rods etc,etc

Just a guess…………met and talked to the prior owner 50 years after he parked in the pasture in was in high school. He did not mention his good or bad habits.

All I can say is both sides camber were out about the same amount. The fixture and bottle Jack moved it back in spec and it now tracks like new.

The frame had one crack on the passenger side.

B
'Bolter
Originally Posted by bztguy
I've also found my tie rod has a bow in it which, if it hasn't already been adjusted out after the bow was put in it, would pull the back of the tires inward creating excessive toe in

This condition would cause toe OUT, not toe IN.

B
bztguy Offline OP
'Bolter
Bill You're right. I meant to say toe out.

1949 Chevy 3600
1975 W-25 Hurst Olds
1991 Chevy Silverado
2010 Chevy Silverado
I'm a GM man!
B
'Bolter
When I bought my '52 it was real "skittish". The hot rod shop that installed a disk brake kit before I bought it had the toe set to 5/16" toe OUT!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop